Pet Peeves?

f* paths.

They look so unnatural to me. Especially the really ornate, pink, candy whatever the f- kind of paths. Like, I don't like that sense of perfection.

I'll throw up if I see another pastel town.

Y'all would really hate my town if you paid it a visit, though, too. So. There's that.

I wouldn't hate your town, Revolver Ocelot.

:cool:

I am not an artist. I don't have a feel for using those limiting tools to develop patterns. (They stink!)

And I don't regret this about myself.

A lot of the paths, signs, and other stuff I don't think are being created out of what the game gives. (Am I wrong?)

One forum member let me know, in a private message, that he/she found it a "chore" to explore my towns. Now, I agreed with the comments that were made about one of them [Progress]. And I am going to reset that town. (I have something else in mind.) But, while the person made a point to me about how a town needs to "flow" well, the individual also expressed "Pet Peeves" about placements of permanent Public Works Projects like the Police Station. And the individual went as far as to say I should reset my first town, Applewin, because he/she doesn't like the paths and the placement of the Mayor's house. (It was a foolish suggestion. I started that town last August, three months before joining this site and before getting Wi-Fi, and I'm not resetting a town that is complete and has the T&T Emporium store.)

Some of the comments people have about others' towns can fail to keep matters in perspective. It is not one's own town. The town belongs to the person who is willing to share his/her Dream Address.

I don't have actual Pet Peeves over what others do. In fact, I lean to the positive. I marvel at people's creativity. Not just with design; but in pulling together a lot of what they present (such as Public Works Projects, bushes and trees that were planted, and flower arrangements especially including hybrids).

What I personally don't care for, but it's not necessarily a Pet Peeve (it's opinion and imagination), is that I believe some of the use of paths, particularly ones which overall cover nearly every inch of land, is overkill. It's done, in part, to control the villagers from placing flowers randomly. But it's also done because the town "Mayor" is in love with the path. From my perspective, it gets to be ridiculous. But, at the same time, that's what has been chosen by a fellow "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" player who is kind in sharing his/her town in a Dream Address. And my visits to many Dream Addresses have been very stimulating. They show me some of what is possible. (Even those excessive paths.) That's why I lean to the positive.

I don't like same old rose rose rose put together, I like to be creative and match flower sorts and colours together instead of putting same kind together, it's boring really.
1 tile patch are hard to run over and I have a rule when I visit a dream towns: No paths, no service. Meaning if I don't see a path I leave right away.
Messy villagers irk me too, villagers are like one of the most important parts of an animal crossing town, so my villagers are dressed up nice and presentable and they homes decorated logically.

I hate when there are patterns EVERYWHERE. So much that there aren't even any paths. No grass is showing whatsoever, and I hate it. It's pretty much like not having any path at all, and I get lost and confused around the town lol.

It also drives me nuts when paths end up hanging off the edge of a cliff or something. ;w;
Same oh god this drives me up the wall. It looks so bad. I can't tell you how many otherwise beautiful towns I've seen that do this. I'm like.... WHY... couldn't you have just... moved that one space over.......

Also I prefer when the presents/outfits in dream towns aren't gift wrapped but thats just because I get impatient having to keep opening the menu to see what something is. Lots of people like that detail though and it does look cute, so. :p
Also this. Presents look cute and all but I don't even bother with them in dream towns anymore. It's always the same toys/treats I've seen a hundred times and they just don't add anything to the town for me... I do like to try on outfits sometimes, but it'd better be unwrapped so I can clearly see it's clothes before I pick it up lmao.

Has anyone said anything about full sets? I can't stand seeing full sets in every room. After the first house I just stop. b o r i n g.

Those are probably my only real pet peeves. I do have some specific standards for what makes me really love a town, but I wouldn't hate a town for not meeting them, since ofc they're just my personal preferences. Most of the time I just appreciate a town for what it is. :)

Last edited:
Lol, I'm really glad I don't have a DA after reading a lot of these comments because my town is guilty of most of the stuff mentioned. I need to work on it and change a lot.

Lol, I'm really glad I don't have a DA after reading a lot of these comments because my town is guilty of most of the stuff mentioned. I need to work on it and change a lot.

Just do what makes you happy.There is no wrong way to decorate a town.I do a lot of dream reviews and I mostly comment on the things I like.Theres no way you can please everyone.Even famous artists and musicians are not liked by everyone.

Just do what makes you happy.There is no wrong way to decorate a town.I do a lot of dream reviews and I mostly comment on the things I like.Theres no way you can please everyone.Even famous artists and musicians are not liked by everyone.

Absolutely correct! Do what YOU want! Also, keep in mind there are only so many objects available to work with. We can't create things so it is inevitable that we'll see dollies in Horror Towns and such. I mean, what ELSE can you really use except Creepy, Spooky, and Dollies and Axes? Not much. We're limited. There will always be similarities.

And honestly, not to sound rude, but to keep things in perspective, remember the famous quote by Lyndon B Johnson when he was president of the U.S. when he was berated for not listening to every complainer in the world and doing what he felt was best, "No matter what you do, there is ALWAYS gonna be some S.O.B. who doesn't like it. So stop worrying."

That sounds harsh and I don't mean it that way, but it makes me smile and remember that we play for OUR fun and if others enjoy what we've done, great. If not, well, it's OUR town. :)

It weird me out when every part of the town is just covered in tiles and perfectly arranged flowers. Especially if there are no trees and the buildings are all perfectly aligned. That kind of stuff just looks so artificial and dull to me. I really like towns that look more natural and yes, that includes flowers that sometimes don't match, trees, grass, buildings that were laid down in a way that you'd find in real towns.

This is how I felt too. This thread isn't going to change the way I think about my town or anything because I like what I'm doing. It's just making me less inclined to share it with others.

Last edited:
My town is pastel- but Idrc because I think pastel is really cute to me. Also 6/10 of my dreamies are tier one, and the other four are tier 2- but I don't care that they're A) popular or B) seem a lot. I like them because they're cute, and they're the kind of villagers I am drawn to. And I know people get tired of seeing things that are popular so frequently, but you kinda have to expect to see those things (like paths, pastel towns, popular villagers) a lot, because that's what's popular. But things are popular for a reason. It's not like some powerful being crowned Diana and Marshal and all them as the kings and queens of ACNL and everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon because they're mindless sheep. No, people like these characters because they're actually cute. That's the point. Do you just expect everyone to have Barold and Benjamin or something? No offense to anyone who does have dreamies that are like tier 5- but obviously the popular ones are popular for a reason; because that's just what appeals to a lot of people's tastes. Same with pastel, and paths.

I personally don't like towns that have paths covering every square inch of them, even if the paths are really cute- but only because I don't like how the paths hang off cliffs, or how there will be those tiny spots near cliffs or trees or in front of a villager's house where there's no paths. I also don't like when people don't use hybrids at all, and I don't really like when their towns don't have themes. I like a theme- mine is fairy-tale (a big shocker, right?), but I love other themes- like zen themes, or horror themes, or whatever. I don't like disorganization- unless disorganization is the theme, that is.

That all being said, I still enjoy dream towns that do/don't have all these things, because I just really really like seeing what people can do with how limited the game is. It's so cool seeing everyone's creativity and stuff when they're being limited by the game's mechanics. I know that everyone has different taste, though, and that's okay.

Hehe. My town would be nightmare fuel for some of you. I purposely have no paths, and I let my flowers breed and mix like crazy. It's an OCD nightmare. Also, I don't really have a theme. Kind of just do what I like. Not to mention I have the worst possible map so I have no room for a lot of PWPs. However, my pet peeve is when people leave furniture, gyroids, clothes, etc. around their entire town. Like, I get that people need extra storage, but when there is junk EVERYWHERE it becomes an eyesore. Just my opinion though.

However, my pet peeve is when people leave furniture, gyroids, clothes, etc. around their entire town. Like, I get that people need extra storage, but when there is junk EVERYWHERE it becomes an eyesore.

Omg I don't like that either. I mean I leave crap all over my town ALL the time, but I pick it up before I update my dream town lol. I don't really care what someone's town looks like for real, but I just feel like if you're putting the effort into making a dream address, you'd make it look neater.

It's like inviting someone to your house and just leaving it a mess or something. Like, "Hi welcome to my house. Excuse the three week old pizza growing a colony of bugs on it- oh, and those clothes over there- don't mind if it growls at you, it's just hungry." It makes me want to leave immediately lol.

Omg I don't like that either. I mean I leave crap all over my town ALL the time, but I pick it up before I update my dream town lol. I don't really care what someone's town looks like for real, but I just feel like if you're putting the effort into making a dream address, you'd make it look neater.

It's like inviting someone to your house and just leaving it a mess or something. Like, "Hi welcome to my house. Excuse the three week old pizza growing a colony of bugs on it- oh, and those clothes over there- don't mind if it growls at you, it's just hungry." It makes me want to leave immediately lol.
Haha, I know. I shouldn't really be complaining because I'm really beginning to run out of ways to maintain my storage... Ill probably start dumping crap everywhere too. My towns not the definition of beauty either. But I'd probably clean up before updating.

Holy wow... you guys would hate my town. I'm all about the cute florals, pastel and flower lined brick pathways. It's kind of turning into a kawaii heaven. I don't really care what anyone thinks because I've been working on this town for over a year... and I only made an account two days ago, so yeah, I'm not really trying to please anyone. Lol.

I don't mind the kawaii cute towns and the flowery garden towns. I actually really like them and I like to gather inspiration from them. My pet peeve is when people leave their garbage, furniture, and gyroids everywhere though. Couldn't you have at least cleaned up before updating your address?

Lol in my town I have 3 characters and 1 is a tent house on purpose. I'm making tht tent into a camping tent. So would you get irritated if the tent was used for this sort of purpose? Just wondering.

nah. your tent has a purpose, it's not just some throw away. i love how cute the tents look as actual tents.

Holy wow... you guys would hate my town. I'm all about the cute florals, pastel and flower lined brick pathways. It's kind of turning into a kawaii heaven. I don't really care what anyone thinks because I've been working on this town for over a year... and I only made an account two days ago, so yeah, I'm not really trying to please anyone. Lol.

I don't mind the kawaii cute towns and the flowery garden towns. I actually really like them and I like to gather inspiration from them. My pet peeve is when people leave their garbage, furniture, and gyroids everywhere though. Couldn't you have at least cleaned up before updating your address?

Kawaii heaven sounds nice. Tbh I still feel a bit self-conscious about people visiting my dream address because I didn't use much paths, I don't really have a theme, and I have some popular villagers haha but I like your attitude; it's important that your town makes you happy and that you can feel proud of the work you've put into it.

Stuff laying all over the ground in dream towns is a put-off for me as well. More than once I've visited towns that were saved with random holes dug in the ground. Not very sightly.

Im guilty of leaving random items on the ground.I sometimes update and forget I have fossils and gyroids I need to sell.

~A terrible town tune.

~Fake grass/water.

~Seeing the "Sweets" furniture series in every dream town I visit.

~When people excessively use bright paths and flowers EVERYWHERE in the town, so it feels like I'm being blinded. It's even worse when people post these towns on websites with a crappy filter so it's even more nauseatingly bright.

~No sign of trees/grass anywhere.

~
~Kawaii

~Hyrule

~A word in another language that actually means something offensive in that language

~Towns named after real-life places when the town is not based on the actual place

~A bunch of random Japanese syllables clumsily strung together

~Anything offensive

~Anything with symbols

~When people don't register their characters' names with a capital letter at the front, or add symbols to it.

Last edited:
I don't have any pet peeves with dream towns themselves, but how long it takes to load one annoys me.

Back