Personal GoTY, By Platform

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Bells
So... what do you guys think is the Game of the Year, FOR YOURSELVES? Not judging other publications' opinions.

For me...

Wii - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
DS - Contra 4

FE, for obvious reasons... I like it better than Galaxy to be honest.
For Contra 4... WOW. This game is handing my butt to me on Normal. I barely beat Easy, playing all day yesterday.

I'm liking Contra 4 also, but it is hasn't made a big splash as The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. As for the Wii RE4: Wii edition (that one doesn't count) so I'll have to go with Super Mario Galaxy despite it no being my personal favorite.

If we have to have played the game, I'll have to go with:

Halo 3 for 360

Only games I've bought that came out this year are Crackdown, Shadowrun, and Halo 3. Weird....

NINTENDO_ZEALOT said:
I'm liking Contra 4 also, but it is hasn't made a big splash as The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. As for the Wii RE4: Wii edition (that one doesn't count) so I'll have to go with Super Mario Galaxy despite it no being my personal favorite.
If I reviewed Phantom Hourglass right now, I'd give it a 6.9, probably. Massively disappointed with it. Ruined Zelda completely, in my eyes. Contra, on the other hand, stays true to the formula, and expands on it... making it one of the best games I've ever played. Yup.

@ Mino - Yeah, games we've played for a decent amount of time/own. And... just three? 0_0 I'm not sure how many I bought...

Koehler said:
SMG for Wii easily.

*waits for Bul to respond*
Nah, I'm not going to counter you. Galaxy is a great pick. I just found it a TAD bit underwhelming given the claims that it's "the sequel to Mario 64".

Too linear to even be compared to 64.

when reading this list, remember that I'm only listing games that I've played, and I haven't played many popular games, so if I don't list a great game, it's because I haven't played it therefore I'm not in the best position to judge it.

Wii: For me, this year hasn't been the best, and I haven't played any of the big nintendo series games (LoZ:TP, MP:3, SMG) and honestly I'm not really interested, but I'd say that my Game of the year is Ghost Squad.

DS: Phantom Hourglass.

no PS3 game since I haven't put a hand on that system and don't plan to go through that horrific experience.

Xbox 360: well, Gears is hands down my favorite 360 game ever, but that came out last year, so I'd say Halo 3, it's a close 2nd for me.

PC: Orange Box. Hands down. Amazing game

Game of the Year: Orange box! like I said, it's great. BUY IT. NOW.

Wii- Super Mario Galaxy
Runner Up: Wario Ware. Smooth Moves

DS- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Runner Up: Mario Party DS

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy
DS - Phantom Hourglass
360 - Rock Band/Halo 3 (it's a tie)
PS3 - Uncharted

Hmmm...

Wii Super Mario Galaxy

DS, um unsure really haven't been playing it too much, I should get that Zelda game I guess...

PC, Bioshock, I would say orange box if there was more new content in it, but as it is Halflife 2 is from a time past and had its year. I almost put it up based on Portal and TF2 alone though, they are awesome, but Bioshock was an amazing game with a creative storyline. Plenty of twists and horror.

Overall, Either super mario galaxy or Bioshock I find it hard comparing games across genres, especially when you have a large metal man with a bloody drill in one hand and and absolutely adorable brightly colored world of happiness and mushrooms in the other.So I will now flip a coin and... oh dear... it landed on its side.... um that means that against all odds Brain age 2 jumped out of the ground and stole my vote. DANG! Never trust a coin to choose for you.

Yeah guys, don't get Phantom Hourglass. The Zelda franchise was butchered. Simplified dungeons (REPETITIVE!), horrible music (except for one song, maybe), my dislike of the art style pervades still...

Contra 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other DS game.

Bulerias said:
Yeah guys, don't get Phantom Hourglass. The Zelda franchise was butchered. Simplified dungeons (REPETITIVE!), horrible music (except for one song, maybe), my dislike of the art style pervades still...

That's your opinion. Is it right? No. Is it wrong? No.

You said games we played, and I haven't even touched Contra 4, or many new DS games this year to begin with.

Bulerias said:

I would get it but I have to have money reserved for January. Then, I want to catch up with games I missed. Too many games. If you can help me, I'll be glad to buy it and support the game.

OddCrazyMe said:
Bulerias said:

That's your opinion. Is it right? No. Is it wrong? No.

You said games we played, and I haven't even touched Contra 4, or many new DS games this year to begin with.
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying everyone who considers themselves a classic gamer just OWES it to themselves to pick it up. It's, like... a modern classic. Phantom Hourglass, however, was a major step in the wrong direction. Dude, just revisiting that same old dungeon every time, redoing all the puzzles...

I haven't even beaten the game myself, and don't feel motivated to do so... whatsoever. I shoulda listened to my intuition, I had a feeling Phantom Hourglass would be a major disappointment.

Contra 4 took me by surprise, however. I knew it was gonna be good (c'mon, it's Contra...), but I didn't think it'd be THIS good.

For the Wii, this is tough. I'm gonna go with Zack & Wiki with SMG in a very close second.

DS: I didn't play very many new games this year. The one I did play the most was PicrossDS. By far the best I've played this year.

I am planning on getting Contra 4 though by the end of the year, so my DS pick may change.

Wii: Mario Galaxy
DS: meh.. rarely bought any game this year.. Pkmn D&P?
360: no doubt, Halo 3.
PS3:...
PSP: Tales of the World

Why didn't you guys buy any DS games this year? This year was arguably the best for the DS since launch.

360- Oh, hard, HARD one. BioShock.
Wii- Super Mario Galaxy.
DS- Contra 4, great game, I bought it a few days ago actually.
PS3- Don't know too many PS3 games, but... Rock Band?
PC- Another hard one... Either Crysis, or Orange Box.

All Around Winner: BioShock.

@ Nintendo Zealot's avatar:
I've seen that Gameboy in real life.

Fabio said:
360- Oh, hard, HARD one. BioShock.
Wii- Super Mario Galaxy.
DS- Contra 4, great game, I bought it a few days ago actually.
PS3- Don't know too many PS3 games, but... Rock Band?
PC- Another hard one... Either Crysis, or Orange Box.

All Around Winner: BioShock.

@ Nintendo Zealot's avatar:
I've seen that Gameboy in real life.
DUDE! You got Contra 4? Awesome.

;) Have you unlocked Challenge Mode? I've got like 20/40 challenges beaten.

Bulerias said:
Why didn't you guys buy any DS games this year? This year was arguably the best for the DS since launch.
Obviously not the best for my pockets. D=

Money doesn't grow on trees.

Back