• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

People who live at home with their parents, what’s something you want to do if/when you move out?

This so draining of me to think about tbh aaaaaagh. Call me sheltered if you want but I'm also so afraid of getting poor, my parents already face financial problems and the economy in my country is rat **** right now.
I know what I would love to pursue, which is arts, animation, maybe fashion. (These areas are so competitive though???? just kill me) I'm researching maybe moving to Canada a year after graduating high school since apparently animation's thriving over there, I know a few art colleges which would be great for me. Or maybe I'll stick around for an art college here.

23 here and still living with my parents. I'm hoping to be able to pay down enough of my student loans over the next year that moving out will be feasible. I'm really ready to have my own place haha. I'm excited to be able to decorate in my own style (I just want a super tacky shower curtain. Something totally stupid) and I'm hoping it'll give me more freedom to date... I'm not really comfortable dating while living at home, so I'm perpetually single haha.

I'm 20 living with parents, but I'll be moving out when I transfer colleges this fall (hopefully if corona doesn't get worse lol) and I'll miss parents kinda,, ill really miss my cats.. my new apt doesn't allow pets.. but I'm really hoping to be able to cook more of the foods I like, and also I like experimenting with new kinds of food, and my parents don't like it when I buy new foods and don't eat them,, but how will I know if I like a food if I don't try it? So sometimes I bring foods home and I end up not liking them and theyre just like.. 'why'.
also I really wanna shave my head lolol like they couldn't stop me shaving my head now, but there won't be as many 'why did u do that' comments if i do it away from home haha
I'm also super excited to start decorating, my roommate and I have very similar styles, and we already started decorating the living room and it's just so freeing and fun to have your own space. We'll be getting a jeff goldblum shower curtain, and a mothman shrine so that'll be fun
But yeah I think moving out is really freeing and nice especially if parents are pretty strict like mine

I won't reveal my age, but I can tell you that I'm in high school right now. This is going to sound like the weirdest string of things, but my parents are strict and they have a few things that just bug me. I want a gaming chair with wheels when I move out. I know, it's very random. My parents don't like rolly wheels on chairs because the wheels make a strange sound on the 2nd floor. I just want the comfy chair and the wheels, I've never had that before and it sounds so sad as I'm typing it 😭. I also can't wait to take Screen Time off of my phone so that my parents can't turn off my apps after 4 hours. It might help me, but scrolling the internet kept me sane and I really just want to have freedom with my phone again. Also, when I'm chatting on discord with my friends at the app closes out with the message 'you have run out of time on discord' it sends my mood down 75%. That hourglass haunts me and I will probably never recover. Getting out of the house would mean that I would miss my family, but I could also take the opportunity to get a pet (probably a dog lol)!

Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like to move out of my parents' house. Everything is working fine for me right now and my location is convenient to go to places so why would I move out to make things harder for myself? If I do get a chance to move out in the future, I'd probably just rent an apartment for starters and sometimes go on a stroll to clear my mind.

21 and living with my parents. But, housing is expensive so I don't imagine I'll move out anytime soon.

I have 2 places in mind I'd like to move to only cause I know it allows for dogs, and I HAVE to have two pets (to keep each other company when I'm not home). I'm tryin to get a new job rn thou, and even with my old job I prob couldn't afford to move out, or if I could I'd be dirt poor.

Somethings I def wanna go are get 2 tattoos (I've had these ideas stuck in my head for MONTHS now), dye my hair an unnatural colour (somethin my old job didn't allow), get pets, DECORATE, and just really do all the little things I would do if I didn't feel like I had someone later judging me for it, mainly purchases.

I'm 22 and still living with my mom. I've been trying to move out for a while but right now almost all my money is going towards my tuition so it's been kinda hard to save up. I don't really get along all that well with either of my parents so mostly I'm just looking forward to having some space from my family and more privacy. I've never felt comfortable having friends over and definitely not having anyone over to spend the night, and even just talking on the phone with my family around makes me feel kinda weird. I think having my own place will make me feel much more at ease. I'd also like to get a cat!

Buy a few cats. I've wanted a cat for years but my parents would never let me because my dad hates cats.
I also want to do the same with dogs. I have a dog, but she's tiny and I've always wanted a bigger dog. (i still love her though)
Another thing is I can decorate it how I want. I can finally have a room to myself to decorate and have a lot more space to myself.

There's also not having to share absolutely every console (besides handhelds), Do whatever I want whenever I want, and getting to pick what I want for dinner lol
Also, nobody will be around to bother me unless I get a roommate.

i'm 31 lived on my own a few times with a roommate (going it alone is too much money unless you have full time and make enough to have a fully paid off car ect.) i miss it...not the living off ramen but the freedom to just relax and be left alone. also being able to decorate how you want and keep things clean! ugh...i miss having a clean place...like i clean all the time here but 10 min later and bam! mess again. but now that my health is improving and my parents have my sister here now too (i won't feel bad leaving cuz i know they will have help if needed) i'm going to work twords getting out again and hopefully school.

I'm looking forward to having some peace and quiet, I want to move out of here asap
Currently messing up my sleep schedule so I'm awake during the night whilst my parents sleep LOL

I already have a long bucketlist of what I'm going to do:
To celebrate college (which I am planning on attending, I'm decently smart and would most likely choose my local college) I'm going to dye my hair and get a nose piercing. Hair? Preferrably dark green! Nose piercing? Either a septum ring or stud! I will be attending a catholic highschool and am currently enrolled in a catholic middle school, so no hair dye and piercings for me!
I need to get some type of job either before/after/during college (being a boba barista would be an absolute dream, something like that!) and then I'll save up some money and get the heck out of my parents house as fast as I can. I'm already working on distancing myself, and hoping we won't be as close in the near future, so it'll be easier leaving them behind. I don't have any ridiculously big dreams of becoming some sort of celebrity or something - I'm just hoping for a normal job!

It's been a while since I moved out on my own, but the one thing I looked forward to the most was controlling the thermostat. My dad was ridiculously strict about the thermostat in our home, not even allowing us to touch it when he was away at work all day. It wasn't a financial issue either because he kept the AC turned up so high the rest of my family all froze. We would wear robes and slippers in the summer. I'm very cold-natured so it made me immensely happy to crank the temperature up to 75+ for the first time in my first apartment.

Besides that, I was also happy to be able to decorate the way I wanted, get my own pets, and just have the general freedom and peace that came from having my own place.

Alright, yeah yeah, I’m 23 and still live with my parents... I recently graduated from university as well. I‘m going to be applying for a better paying job (hopefully one with a good culture and atmosphere) so I can move out, but until then I’m stuck in a place of limbo. I honestly feel like I should be doing more right now as nothing is usually ever “enough” for me. As for what I want to do when I move out, I honestly don’t know yet. All I know is I want it to be a place with good people if possible. I wouldn’t mind having roommates either, and if they’re anything chill like my past roommates, I’ll have no complaints. 😁

I’m 17 and ngl I can’t imagine myself living alone. My mom said I can stay as long as I want with her so that’s cool I guess. Some people aren’t fortunate enough to have parents as generous. Maybe when I get a lover I’ll try to live in my own house. Just scared of being alone with my thoughts. The freedom that comes with living alone sounds nice though.
Post automatically merged:

Buy a few cats. I've wanted a cat for years but my parents would never let me because my dad hates cats.
I also want to do the same with dogs. I have a dog, but she's tiny and I've always wanted a bigger dog. (i still love her though)
Another thing is I can decorate it how I want. I can finally have a room to myself to decorate and have a lot more space to myself.

There's also not having to share absolutely every console (besides handhelds), Do whatever I want whenever I want, and getting to pick what I want for dinner lol
Also, nobody will be around to bother me unless I get a roommate.
That’s definitely my dream if I ever decide to live alone. My granny and mom are allergic to cats so I never got to have one.
Post automatically merged:

This so draining of me to think about tbh aaaaaagh. Call me sheltered if you want but I'm also so afraid of getting poor, my parents already face financial problems and the economy in my country is rat **** right now.
I know what I would love to pursue, which is arts, animation, maybe fashion. (These areas are so competitive though???? just kill me) I'm researching maybe moving to Canada a year after graduating high school since apparently animation's thriving over there, I know a few art colleges which would be great for me. Or maybe I'll stick around for an art college here.
My fears too, it’s okay you’re not alone with those thoughts.

Last edited:
I’ve recently moved (still kinda in the process) back home with my parents mostly due to COVID and had to quit my job. All of my classes at uni are online till spring semester. I will admit the freedom is nice and all, but I did get a little homesick once in a while. Home cooked food + talking to someone (even tho my family argue all the time) were things I missed the most. I spent a LOT of money eating out all the time (I regret buying coffee and boba often) and it got to a point where I would buy groceries but still eat out....
I didn’t live terribly far from my parents, but enough for me to breathe and live a little on my own. My boyfriend and I are long distance (literally opposite ends in the country), so I was able to talk to him freely and play as many video games as I want lol. I don’t think I’ve done anything extreme besides going to one house party and getting wasted with friends LOLL and flying to visit my boyfriend without my parents knowing 😳 I’d still like to get a tattoo one day. It’s nice to have friends over and have dinner together :) I’ve never had friends over when living with my parents...

I'm 21 and still living at home. I don't think there's any shame in that, especially during the circumstances right now. I'm saving up all my money right now & have a goal to move out by the time I'm 23 but I also want to move out of the country so I'd need to find a job there before I can comfortably do so.

The biggest thing I'd love to have is just to feel like I have my own space. I do have my own room after years of sharing with my sister but I would love to have my own area to decorate and keep my messes in.

I'd also love to get more pets, currently the only thing really holding me back is space and the fact my mom isn't fond of snakes or rats, which I would like to own one day.

Hi! I don’t currently live at home with my parents anymore, but I remember what it was like living with my parents like it was yesterday. My parents are super conservative and I’m not, so I always felt as if I could never really be myself when I lived under their roof. They never let me wear the types of clothes I wanted to wear, go out and do a lot of the things I wanted to do, and I also wasn’t out to them either so that was a hard one too.

When I finally left their house, I finally felt so free and like I could do and be who I’ve always wanted to be. Now I wear clothes I actually love to see myself in, I hang out with friends and do whatever I want when I feel like it, and I’m just all around a lot more happy.

I've been dying to move out for a long time. I'm getting married in a month, but my fiance and I are still waiting to hear back from apartments.

One of the first things I can't wait to do is decorate our living space with things we picked out together. It's always exciting going on little trips together to places like HomeGoods or TJMaxx. We have very similar tastes in furniture and decor. I just have to convince him that there's really no such thing as having too many fake plants. 🤭

Another thing I can't wait for is to cook and bake together. We've done this a few times for our families, but to do it in our own kitchen sounds so much more romantic. I'm also looking forward to having more healthier options in my fridge / pantry as well.

And the best thing of all... freedom and privacy. Even though I am practically an adult, I feel like my parents view me as a child still, despite contributing to bills, chores and groceries.

For instance, when I bought a new phone, I asked my dad to help me with the SIM card. Prior to this, I had set up the password on the new phone because I transferred most of the basic stuff like msgs and pictures already. The fact that I paid for my own cellphone and pay the monthly bill means I am entitled to my own privacy right? Well, my dad noticed there was a password and I asked me why I had one set up. I told him my reasoning above and he told me "But I'm your father. Do you have something to hide?" Excuse me? Lol. It's a good thing he dropped it, but still.

I feel like I've been stuck here for so long. I finally make enough money to split bills 50/50 with my fiance, but the only thing holding us back is apartment availability. Sorry for the long read, I just feel so suffocated sometimes.

Back