• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Overdone ideas in AC New Leaf?

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I watched a youtube video once saying cafe rooms are overdone in New Leaf (don't remember which video though) but it got me thinking if people in the community were tired of seeing certain ideas over and over again in dream towns. I didn't want to make a cafe room for the longest time because of that video, although I have one now. There are too many cute cafe items to not do it! Although objectively speaking, it probably is a very common and non unique idea, but I honestly don't care. So this thread isnt to put down over done ideas. I just wanna see what everyone considers overdone and common that they see over and over again in dream towns. Maybe you don't like it, and that's okay. But maybe you do, and that's okay too. Let's just talk about it respectfully :)

I think that pink towns are overdone but I'm doing one currently lol

also, for your cafe, my favorite apron qr :>

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing an overused room idea so long as you make it your own. No two caf?s are going to look the same, unless you directly copy someone else's. I have a caf? room as well.
Anyway, I think forest-y hacked dream towns are overdone. You know, the ones with randomly placed weeds/four-leaf clovers/mushrooms/stepping stone paths everywhere? I appreciate the creativity, but I'm getting a bit tired of those.
Although I like the style, I also think certain cute, pink towns are overdone. Sometimes it only takes one look to know that it's going to have Marshal, Diana, and the Sanrio villagers.

I see fairy rings everywhere. I somewhat have one in my town, meaning I have a ring of trees with a stump in the middle. Fairy rings are cute and I appreciate them whenever I see them, haha.

Now believe me, I LOATHE cute towns, probably because it’s overused and unoriginal. Yes, some do avoid the latter because of some unique points, but still.

Now, I long for towns that actually make them look like you’re in a town park, sort of like Central Park in New York. That stuff I like in a town. It’s those types of towns that really stand out so it can appeal to my attention. Other themed towns do interest me as long as I like it I’ll get tempted to view more of it.

Okay so maybe making your town like a town park is probably overused, but that’s what my town is sorta based off of. I do have themed houses however. One is a nature house, one is a fancy restaurant, the other is supposed to be a rich girl’s house that I never got around to. My mayor’s house is not themed, but it’s based around my personality. There is a Cafe in the basement, it’s not my style to have a Cafe, but I gotta have my mayor’s outfit make sense.
While you said Cafes are overdone, I believe my Cafe to be the best one yet, totally normal and no theme on it, but I designed it very well.

In fact, if you want to visit my town, you can dream it. Just go to my profile and dream it if you want. You don’t have to.

Autumn towns, forest towns and cute/pink towns are 'overdone' but I still do enjoy seeing autumn & forest towns. Pink towns I find boring because it seems to be the same items and stuff over and over again, there isn't an originality. Althou, I myself have an autumn town.

Even thou I have visited a TON of autumn towns, I really like them, most are unique and different, it's not the same throu-out. Yes there have been times when it was kinda boring going to one autumn town after the next and next and next and- but not all towns are like that.

I was also hesitant on making an entire house a caf? in that same town, but I did it anyway because it's not a caf? theme I have seen. Even with the same idea, everyone can have a different take on it.

I think there are a lot of trends that you see in towns because our options in furniture, house styles, and PWPs are limited. There can only be so many of each in the game and a lot of people's interests overlap so you sometimes see them use those items in the same way. I don't mind things that are 'overdone' as long as they're done well and not just copying someone else's idea.

With that said, I think there are a lot of pink/pastel towns. I don't personally care for that aesthetic myself, but I have visited some very nice towns that were pink/pastel and don't mind seeing them occasionally.

There are also a lot of autumn/forest towns. This is an aesthetic I do really love so I don't mind if I visit a million of them.

Witches are also a common character type in people's towns, but I love seeing how each person portrays theirs and how they decorate their home.

Cafes are pretty common, but I've seen a lot of different styles and they all look cute.

In the end, I think everyone should just build the town that makes them happy, regardless of whether it's 'overdone' or not. As long as you love your town, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.

As long as you love your town, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.
Yes. I think this is yes. ^^

Personally, cafe room or restaurant thing is a bit boring to speak frank. Yet, I'm planning to make one in my 3rd town. This town is the town for villagers who's living there. So... the entire town is supposed to be, like, to entertain or help relaxation for my villagers. Shopping mole, flower field, spa room or even church. Of course nice tea room/cafe has to be there, so they can enjoy some little relaxing chat with their neighbors. :)

The town you have in the system is your nice little world. What you wanna do in there comes first! It's not a matter how other people would see it, I guess.

I see fairy rings everywhere. I somewhat have one in my town, meaning I have a ring of trees with a stump in the middle. Fairy rings are cute and I appreciate them whenever I see them, haha.

Never seen actually :0

But yeah I agree those pink/pastel aesthetic theme towns are pretty overdone, so yeah I try to avoid those and just exit if I'm dreaming :3 Also those labyrinth where you can hardly walk when you visit because there are bushes flipping everywhere.

I honestly don't mind seeing certain trends pop up a lot all over especially if the person adds in their own flavor to it, but I do think the over grown forest villages are super overdone and I see them pop up a lot, especially with characters who are suppose to be 'magic' or witches. And then like everyone else has been saying, Pink towns do pop up a lot but I don't really mind them!

As for Cafe rooms I honestly quite enjoy seeing them because I really love the cafe/cafe maid aesthetic a lot, hence why I'm trash and ended up giving one of my characters an in house cafe. And I honestly quite enjoy seeing them, looking at some of them is probably what inspired me to make mine tbh.
I don't mind popular/overdone room ideas or themes, I do think gardeny characters or baker characters are overdone, but I can't really judge because I have a cafe character, and I plan on my 4th character being a gardener type fellow.

I'm not surprised cafe rooms are overdone... I mean there's just way too many cute cafe type items not to make a cafe haha! But most of the cafes I've come across in DAs are all a little different and unique and I do enjoy seeing them in towns, especially because I like seeing "functional" buildings in DAs so it makes it seem like my mayor has things to interact with!

Anyways, it doesn't really matter if something is overdone as long as you like your town and you aren't blatantly ripping off a room idea from someone else item for item. Things like fairy/mushroom circles in forest towns are bound to come up a lot but it's also nice to see them used in different ways. I'm not a huge fan of sakura/pink towns BUT one of my favourite towns ever is a sakura/pink town (they're a member here but I totally forgot their username ;.; )

Last edited:
I really dislike those "kawaii" pinkish towns that you see all over. I feel as if they are way too overdone, and seeing one is enough for me. I don't see any originality, just the same old map filled with pink paths and cute villagers.

What I really admire is seeing those unique towns that have a theme that is uncommon, like this one rainy dream town I visited, filled with blue flowers and cool designs. It was something I had never seen before, and I liked it. I feel like uniqueness really can make a town feel great.

every town is pretty and unique as long as it makes the owner happy. Like other people have said there's a certain collection of items and PwP's, so obviously all towns are going to look similar. And of course as a player base we are obviously going to have similar interests, we are attracted to the same game for that reason as well. I see originality in every town i visit, everyone takes an idea/aesthetic and makes it their own! I think it's beautiful. In the end we don't rly play to create a fantastic dream town for others to visit, we play for ourselves, so we do what we like, and not what will impress others ^^

my personal thoughts are that towns that follow a very specific aesthetic, be it pink/kawaii, witch, foresty, or whatever, are all overdone (and that's ok, cuz each of them is unique in its way).

What i'd like to see more are towns that follow multiple aesthetic styles and manage to combine them in a creative and beautiful way!! I think it would be really interesting to see at least. Cause obviously i can't expect people to create a town they don't care about just becuz what they actually like has already been done before. But i can encourage people to not be so strict with following "aesthetics" and stuff and instead allow themselves to combine all the styles they like and incomporate them in their town :blush:

Littered towns. Not actually trash towns, but just DA with gifts, toys, and food all thrown every where that the creator had space to drop something. A few here or there is fine, but usually they go overboard. I open one or two and then I am done.

Overall pink/pastel towns are kinda overdone. I mean, I don't mind people who use such a theme
for their town, but it kinda gets stale if you end up so many times in a dream town which has such
a theme. Most of the time, they use the same paths, same villagers and items, only here and there
you some differents between them which makes them kinda unique but yeah. I also kinda understand
why cafe rooms are overdone, as it is one of those ideas to design a room which is really popular by
the players. I for myself was never interested in making a cafe room (or turning a character's house
into a cafe), as it's not really a idea I like that much to make it.

Littered towns. Not actually trash towns, but just DA with gifts, toys, and food all thrown every where that the creator had space to drop something. A few here or there is fine, but usually they go overboard. I open one or two and then I am done.

I like this only when the items correspong with a change if theme in the area or in front of a house with a certain theme. I think that is a lot of fun.

I remember when people said Japanese/Asian/zen towns were overdone. I've always wanted to make an Asian-themed town and people complaining about that turned me off to it a bit. :( I've started going the other way though, in that I've never gotten to do this and have always wanted to.

The only things I see overdone that feels boring to me are the pink/pastel towns and the towns that have way, way too many flowers. I know the beautiful ordinance exists, and that makes you get tons of flowers, but when every single space is covered with flowers and you can't see any grass at all... that feels like too much.

Back