• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Opinions on "Soft Resetting" your island *if* it were possible...

Would you choose to soft reset your island if it were possible?

• Total voters
When I decided to reset, I would've definitely taken the option. But right now? Nah. Maybe when I get bored of my island in a couple of years if I'm still playing the game.

I would consider it if I lose absolutely nothing of my progress. It's just that sometimes I want to flatten and start from scratch but that takes so much time. This would be an easy way to start again without tearing things down manually. But if I'm being honest, I'm probably way too attached to my island to ever actually do it. There's just something special about having keeping the first island I've ever had and watching it develop and grow throughout the years. Like a baby lol. But just having the option would be nice. Or maybe what I'm looking for is just a mass destruction tool that erases all the terraforming and decorations so it's easier to start fresh rather than an option to completely restart and have to do the beginning "tutorial" portion of the game again.

It sounds like kind of like the sell your town option that is in NL but with more stuff. You could choose to sell your after a bit. I think it was your tree had to have three bunches. When selling your town you had the option to keep your catalogue if you sell it you could add more money to town's value. You would also keep unlocked PWP's. I wouldn't mind a sell your island like that back in NL if Nintendo were to give the option.

Currently, I probably won't.

So just a new island map and rebuild?

I don't think so. I like my island well enough... I do wish the peninsula was bigger, but I'd probably be disappointed with something no matter the map.

Now another island would be great....

If we could save our islands as “dream islands” to revisit later, then reset but keep the catalog I ultimately would do it eventually, yes. I work towards an idea in AC, and when I have accomplished it I want to start from the beginning again. I would just want to keep the catalog because it’s a PITA to complete.

honestly? yeah. i like my island but i don’t see much potential for it in terms of landscaping so if i could keep everything that i currently have but just have a different island layout, i’d go for it ;u;

I'm pretty sure "soft reset" means sending a game back to its startup screen without saving the game first, and without having to close out of the software or turn the system off.

What you're describing is more of a "new game plus," where you start a new game but carry over some form of progress from a previous game.

In any case, I wouldn't do it. I like my island the way it is, and if I really wanted a fresh start, I'd want to start all over again with nothing.

Maybe if there was a bunch of stuff I wasn't happy with on my island but the only thing I want to change is my native fruit which isn't a big deal, I can just replace my natives myself its just a bit time consuming

I wouldn't. Even if I could retain stuff like my catalog, my ABD, etc., I don't really have any desire to change my island to something different.

Definitely wouldn't.
Might seem strange, but I feel like if I had this option I'd be much more enclined to try it as there are close to no consequences. Then I'd be much quicker to regret it.
I feel like it's the kind of thing you'd end up changing all the time, and it would end up more frustrating/time consuming than anything else...

I agree with what was said above, I'd LOVE an option to "reset all terraforming" or "flatten" (like in the Sims, hehe) though. This I could see myself using.

I'm not done with my island so I wouldn't do it right now, but once I get bored with my island's current set-up, it's something I'd definitely consider!

I don't mind having a feature that resets your island back to its original state while keeping your progress.

However, it's really tough to design a system like that. What will happen to your housing placement? I assume that Tom Nook would give you a kit. What about your other villagers? For me, it's just a developer's nightmare.

Sounds more like a New Game+ mode than a soft reset.

The collecting aspect and amassing wealth is a big part of where the game's enjoyment comes from, so I think it'd defeat the point in some ways. If I reset the only thing I'd immediately want back is my mohawk wig. When I made a second island I dropped a mohawk wig off on LaBelleFleur's island to go collect. 😂

Yes definitely! The main reason I don’t reset is because I don’t want to loose all progress towards the catalogue, encyclopaedia, house and money. I’d rather have an island I didn’t like than grind to catch a golden trout again. So having the option to soft reset would be great!

if I saw this when I had my old island I would say yes but since i now have a good island I wouldnt soft reset.

Back