• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinion on time travel?

floatingzoo

old movie aficionado
Bells
Switch
8146-2445-4030
White Cosmos
Orange (Fruit)
Yellow Cosmos
Red Candy
Pear (Fruit)
Not sure if someone has already posted a thread like this, but I am really curious as it seems like a pretty split issue! I did for a little while in my second town, but it completely drained the fun out of it for me. So much so that I deleted that town and started over to play the regular way.

I still use it occasionally in my main town, but only on secondary characters since I'm not really playing, it's just so I can update the exterior of a spooky house in the corner of my map, or change their hairstyle so I can upload my dream address. Just decorative stuff like that -- but only on my secondary character's. Any-hoo, haha what is your opinion on the subject?

Although I personally don't want to time travel, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's really helpful with people who have a limited schedule, or want to enjoy the game more, or who play mainly at night time when everything is closed. I feel like in a lot of situations it's totally valid to TT. I personally haven't needed to yet, but I may in the future.. some day. Anyways, I also don't consider it to be hacking. It was implemented in the game, and it's clearly not hacking because you can access it without changing the game's data at all.

I have never ever time travelled in my main town. I am super against it FOR MYSELF because it would ruin my fun and make me feel like I didn't build my town up the right way for me. However, my boyfriend has a town he abandoned because he didnt like the game. So I use that town to sell villagers from amiibo cards so I time travel there. I basically also use it to order stuff from RV's and time travel to get them right away and deliver them to my main town. I don't use it to participate in events though, or even try to upgrade the town or advance it in any way. The only way my mayor in my main town benefits is through getting RV items right away. I don't feel bad about that though. It would take until next year if I had to only order 3 items a day (especially since I change my mind all the time about the items I actually end up using). So that's how I feel about time travelling in relation to my play style.

However, I think people can do whatever or they want as long as they are enjoying the game and not harming anyone else. Time travelers shouldn't be shamed or made to feel like they are less than "legit" players. I just love seeing people happy about their towns and that's all I want :)

I time travel in some circumstances. Say if I missed a week of playing and I have some spare time, I'll time travel back so I can catch up. Since I also only get to play at night, my in game clock is constantly set behind so stores are open

I don't have anything against time travel, but I don't do it in any town that I'm actively playing. I prefer to play every day, watch things grow and evolve, and just take it slow. The game is more relaxing for me that way. Plus, I always feel like there's more that I could do every day, but I run out of time, so I definitely couldn't squeeze in multiple days of play in one play session.

However, I am only able to play at night most of the time, so my game clock is pretty much permanently set to 3 hours ahead of my real time. That way, when I log in, all the shops are still open for at least an hour. I don't view this as time travel because I'm not constantly changing the time, but others might. The way I see it is that I'm just playing as though I were in a different time zone.

On a few very rare occasions when I was working on completing my museum and encyclopedia, I did change the time to be able to catch a fish or bug that spawned outside of my possible play times. I did this very sparingly, though, and always stayed within the same day.

I have a spare town that I'm currently using to help my mayor get her weeding badge. So I do time travel quite a bit in that town to get a bunch of weeds to spawn. I don't view that as cheating because I can't imagine how anyone would ever get the weeding badges otherwise. Only 2 weeds spawn a day and that's if you don't have the Beautiful Town Ordinance set up, which I do in my main town. But my spare town will be reset and turned into a proper town once I'm done with the weeding badges and I won't time travel in it anymore.

So that's my opinion regarding how I play, but I think everyone should play the way that makes them happy. If that does or doesn't involve time travel, so be it. Just have fun.

I can't play the game without time travel. It makes the game a lot more interesting for me and fits my binge play style. Honestly, people can play the game how they want. That's the whole point of animal crossing :p do what you want and play it around what makes you happiest

When I first got Animal Crossing it kinda disappointed me that the days didn't go super fast which is what I was expecting. (like how the days go by fast in Stardew Valley) All the stores were closed & it just felt empty!
So I just turned off the game & waited the next day. That made it worse because I woke up too early & it still felt empty which sucked. :/
Took me a while to learn that time traveling was a thing & it made the game much better.
So I'm here for it & I honestly don't mind it at all....that is until one my favs move out. :'(

Idk if it counts as time travel but since I work 40 hours and go to school and stuff, sometimes I will change the time back a few hour since lately I've only been able to play at night after all the shops close.

My opinion is if you want to time travel, go for it. It's just a game. Just make sure you know what you are doing and are going to be okay with it.

I know there are some people who think time traveling is cheating and have very strong opinions on it.

I personally don’t TT except on very rare occasions. I have absolutely nothing against it in general, but i sometimes feel a bit put off about how easy it makes it to obtain certain things in the game and it feels like exploiting a loophole. That being said, i take no issue with exploiting loopholes, i just would like to see the ability to TT either removed from future games or included in a more cohesive way.

I am awake at night 75% of the time, the night ordnance does not help very much. If time traveling did not exist I would not be able to play the game really, or it would at least make playing the game needlessly difficult.

Last edited:
I personally love time travelling in Animal Crossing New Leaf. Makes the gaming experience of the game so much fun for me. Feels more fulfilling for me that way. The game would feel too slow for me if I couldn't time travel. Plus... I wouldn't have bothered to touch the game if time travelling wasn't a thing. Had a character concept that involved time travel, but I didn't utilize the idea with my current town. If I had another copy of the game and another New Nintendo 3DS XL then I may try to implement the idea.

Personally, I don't have a problem with time traveling at all, as I do time travel a lot on my own.
It doesn't ruin the game for me at all, on the contrary, if I would play the game in the "normal"
way (= no time traveling at all), it would be pretty boring for me. But I also understand those
players who don't like tting, after all, it's a personal choice how to play the game and everyone
should play it at the end in the way which makes more fun.

I do a bit of both, but I definitely lean towards the time traveling side so I’m not against it at all. I always try to stick to playing naturally but I just don’t have the time and patience sometimes. Some people definitely would not be able to play the game without it, especially with work schedules and availability and the fact that shops in the game only open at certain times.. Nintendo made time traveling a thing for a reason. Whether it’s “cheating” is debatable but it really doesn’t matter as long as you enjoy the game. You’re not hacking and you’re not breaking the console system. THAT is cheating. With TT you’re using your own bells to get items you will get eventually anyways. There’s no third party involved. Just you and the system clock.

I'be tried to slow down how often I TT. Can't do it, esp when the town is brand spanking new. I TT alot, in all of the AC games I've played. I just can't wait a day irl for a villager to plot or wait all year for a certain holiday. Plus, I don't have nearly as much time to play any more as I used to. I work near 40 hours a week now, I get 2 days off and limited time to play as much as I want.

I used to time travel a lot. Like, a LOT. But with Fujimori, I'm making myself play day by day and I'm really enjoying it a lot more. I'm going to do it with my second town Gracey as well. Sometimes I'm still tempted to time travel just so I can get more stuff, but I feel like I'm cherishing my town more because I'm putting real-time effort into it.

At first I was against it and wanted to keep my town more ?natural? and get my items on my own.. but I started getting bored and now I want to refill my town with my dreamies. I?ve only really been using it to get unwanted villagers out of my town and get blue hydrangeas from nook?s. It?s also been really useful to get all the art items that I want from crazy redd?s.

TTing is perfectly okay. I've TTed in all my towns and i will TT in all my future towns too.

ACNL without TTing is not ACNL to me.

I don't bother with it, or give a crap if anyone else does. I do expect to see those who do, complain about move outs more.

Nintendo made time traveling a thing for a reason. Whether it’s “cheating” is debatable but it really doesn’t matter as long as you enjoy the game. You’re not hacking and you’re not breaking the console system. THAT is cheating. With TT you’re using your own bells to get items you will get eventually anyways. There’s no third party involved. Just you and the system clock.
I was almost about to fall for you for how these words explain it clearly.

Personally I prefer playing without TTing. It's more enjoyable to me that way, to accomplish things day by day, step by step. Though, I do TT for trades/villagers' transportation in some of my towns.

Main town started on the real date and 4 hours behind. Later I jumped one day ahead for an event and kept it that way. It's nice to play one day ahead and enjoy the holiday in real time with the family.
I do time travel ahead or back an hour if I'm late or want to play earlier.

For my other towns I change the clock all the time. Changing the clock to 1am when it's 6pm real time makes late night bug hunting easier.

Back