• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Switch Sales

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
As Year Two (March 3rd, 2018 to March 2nd, 2019) of the Nintendo Switch is about to wrap up, I decided to check up on how many units the Nintendo Switch has sold. I’ve been eager to find out all month, but I finally got to see the updated data.

Here is an interesting statistics about the Switch at its current state. I’m only including software titles that sold at least 10 million copies.

• The Nintendo Switch has sold a total of 32.23 million units. When I predicted that it will outsell the Nintendo 64 in 2019, I was not wrong. Within the first year, it outsold the Wii U’s lifetime sales. During the second year, it went past the GameCube’s lifetime sales. Right now, it still hasn’t surpassed the Nintendo 64, but it won’t be long.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is now the top selling Nintendo Switch Game, at 15.02 million copies. The original version only sold 8.42 million copies before the Wii U was discontinued. It may not sold even half as much as the Wii version, nor did it sell twice as much as the Wii U version, but now it is in first place without any blue shell hitting it.
  • But if you’re looking for original games and not Switch ports of Wii U games, Super Mario Odyssey still holds this honor. It now has sold 13.76 million copies. I can assure that it is the highest selling 3D Mario game now. It even outsold Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64. It seems that more than one third of all the Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey.
  • It’s not even a month since its release when Nintendo recorded its sales, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has already sold 12.08 million copies. I can predict that at the end of the Switch’s lifespan, it would be the Nintendo Switch’s highest selling game. I wouldn’t be surprised that it sold that fast since Smash is a major Nintendo hit. Even I own this game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the launch title of the Nintendo Switch, and the Game of the Year winner in 2017, has sold 11.68 million copies. It is the top selling 3D Zelda game as of now, but since this is an older game, I expect sales of this game to slow down some time.
  • For the longest time, Pokémon Stadium was the best selling Pokémon game on the consoles, but ever since the main series Pokémon games are finally hitting the consoles, this is no longer the case, all thanks to Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! and their sale numbers of 10.00 million copies. That’s almost one third as much as the original versions has sold. It may eventually be the best selling 7th generation Pokémon games.

An interesting fact is that all five games that are in the top five selling Switch games sold 10 million copies. Another interesting fact is that I own all five of the top five selling games. I also own Kirby: Star Allies, and may eventually own Super Mario Party. The Switch is Nintendo’s best console. I’ll eventually check again in April or May, but I congratulate Nintendo for going this far so soon.

wow ! I found all of this super interesting, especially when you mentioned the Smash sales. yeah, everyone knows it's a popular game but I didn't realize just how popular until you gave me a number. that's crazy !
Nintendo really outdid themselves :))

Back