• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Nintendo Discontinues Production of the Entire 3DS Family of Consoles

that makes me so sad, i have a 2ds and i always wanted to get the 3ds or 2ds xl, but when the switch came out i just could never justify the purchase. That makes me really sad if i never get to have one, especially cause pokemon Sun and X are my fav games ;w;

I recommend the DS version of the world ends with you! It looks pretty good still on the 3ds! With now NH is currently, I wouldn’t mind a NL remaster o: so many hours put into that game 😆

I’m hoping that Nintendo will do something similar like the Mario all stars but for Zelda’s anniversary o: maybe ocarina of time, majora’s mask, link between worlds as one bundle? Plus a wind waker & twilight princess port 😭 (I just want to play wind waker again)

Ocarina of time, Link between worlds, and majoras mask are my 3 favorites! That bundle would be epic. I don't have a switch because I'm actually broke but I might get one soon. Also I'm not super into roleplay games, but I haven't really played alot so i shoud give it a try.
Post automatically merged:

Also I did the math (between all of my broken 3ds') and I have spent over 1000 hours playing New Leaf. I have had 5 different towns, (my current one being the one I started in quarantine called Willow) and Willow is totally my favorite. There are so many things I like about New Leaf more than I like New Horizons but I am probably bias. The switch is such a great console and this era will probably be the most successful

The death of the 3DS sorta marks the end of the "dual screen" era for Nintendo- as well as the death of Nintendo's cornerstone market of "pure handhelds". The Switch has changed everything. My guess is all of Nintendo's resources will be pooled into one console moving forward & improving the "switch" feature, making handheld play on future switches better and faster. It's exciting- and really sad.

I love my 3DS & 2DSXL. I like SUPER love the DS family of systems. I will forever have fond memories of the games I played on my DSes- games that utilized what some 'gamers' may call 'gimmicky' mechanics, but I always found intriguing & creative (closing the DS to solve a puzzle, blowing on the touchscreen to wipe away dust, using a blend of the touchscreen & dpad to switch up gameplay, etc.) The creativity and endurance, replayability, of these games is why Nintendo had a vice grip on the handheld market for so long.

And of course, Pokémon. The death of Nintendo's handhelds really does call into question what Pokémon is going to do in the future. SwSh (haven't played it yet!) seemed to be a mixed bag- I really hope they introduce some elements from Colosseum into the main series games (i can dream....) to help the integration from handheld to full console title feel natural for Pokémon.. Nevertheless, the era of pick up & play casual gaming is basically over thanks to mobile games.

I'm really sad, but excited for the future of my favorite franchises.

I heard the news and was devastated. I had a lot of memories since 2011 with my 3DS. Such a powerful console for it's time as well. Downloaded some cool games and bought cool games on there. Such a good good console.

biiiig sad :'( i'm not really surprised, but it's still sad to think about. i have three 3DS's but this somehow tempts me to get a fourth just as, you know, ANOTHER backup

That is pretty sad honestly. The 3DS is, in my opinion, the best (only) handheld console out there. There were so many great games on it, so much variety, and of course so many memories. It had to happen though, the 3DS is nearly ten years old at this point, all good things must come to an end. Even later into its life, the 2DS model was the cheapest way to get into Nintendo gaming with such a massive catalog of games, not to mention Virtual Console and backwards compatibility with DS games. The 3DS will always be something special to me. Although the DS lite was my first console, the 3DS (or really the 2DS) was the first console I bought with my own money. This was also the first console I really invested in, although I only have eight games for it, I'm planning on getting more in the future. And yes, the 3DS was the console that was really keeping Nintendo afloat during the days of the Wii U and how unsuccessful that was. But they have the Switch now and that's doing very well so I guess there's that. The 3DS is still left with such a legacy though.

This is really sad, but to be expected. I have many, many, many good memories with the console, and plan on keeping mine, but it’s time to move on.

As the old saying goes:

"All good things must come to an end"

And this handheld got hit by it. I had so much memories with it, especially with 2013 due to New Leaf. Man, it was at the time that I had trouble designing my town and I still kinda do. I don't understand how people can create small spaces with random shaped terraforming where when I do it, it's big and square shaped. Even when I don't do them square shaped they still become big.

Off topic there for a bit. It's definitely time to say goodbye to this. Of course it's never going away if there are still people who have it. I bet they'll be expensive now.

I'm probably the one person on earth that was hoping for another 3DS/2DS hardware refresh lol something with proper analog sticks and bluetooth audio. I guess it was more of a pipe dream than a "hope".

I've recently dusted off my 3DS, as there are some games for it that I love which haven't made their way to the Switch. Some are finished franchises (Level-5, bring Professor Layton back, please), and some haven't had new games announced (Syn Sophia, are you really working on a new Style Savvy?).

I never really played online before, but I have that option now, so it would bite if I lost the chance. Hopefully they'll maintain that aspect of it. Just to be safe, I think I'll go through my games and see what DLC is currently available, even if I'm not planning to play them right now.

honestly didnt realize it would be this big a shock for people...

thing came out almost 10 years ago :x
Well it made some real great games that's not the same as future ports, and included a huge VC gallery as well. Age doesn't really matter as long as it works and a lot of people play it.

As long as they keep online playing up it should be alive I suppose.

Kinda wanna get one now...switch regrets LOL!

yeah the 3ds was a huge thing, so of course it's a shock to hear it's discontinued. i mean, there are games for it that were released just last year!

Well, it was bound to happen one day. Still...makes me feel kinda old and sad.

So that is why it told me the eshop isn't available in my country! I thought that was a glitch or something, didnt cross my mind that they closed it down. Not a big loss because i think it literally sold nothing in my region, it almost only had the free game updates like the amiibo update for new leaf. I will be sad if they stopped online though, it feels nearer now that they dont make them anymore and even closed some eshops.

I was a little surprised to see this too. Makes me glad I have 3 flavors of 3DS (a New 3DS XL, an original 3DS, and an original 2DS) sitting around my house for backup reasons.

Kinda makes me wonder how long they plan to support 3DS online now. The biggest issue that this will cause is for Pokemon. Right now, Pokemon is backwards compatible with every generation (1 and 2 through the VC versions). Once they take away 3DS online, that means no Pokemon Bank. And no Pokemon Bank means every Pokemon generation up through 7 (Sun/Moon/Ultra versions) will no longer be able to be brought up anymore.

Honestly kind of antsy about this. I have a 2DS, but was hoping to eventually get a 3DS XL since the tiny 3 inch screen is kind of dreadful. You think prices will skyrocket, and they'll become collectors items?

I'd say anyone willing to spend the dough and buy up a bunch of them will be quite happy with the return they could get in years time.

I knew it was bound to happen at some point in time which is really depressing to think about. It's really shocks me how much time has passed since it was introduced to nowadays. I still have the old 3DS XL and I was originally thinking of getting a new one for Amiibo support but I'm not sure when.

It was probably one of my favorite consoles and I'm going to be really sad now.

Gotta say it makes me kind of nervous knowing if my 3ds breaks in the future it's going to be harder to get a new one. I've had two of the things break on me before. I didn't drop them or anything either, the buttons just stopped working with time. One of them had the speakers break too.

brb going to go store my 3ds in a sealed vault​

Kinda want a 2ds/3ds now just for fun y'know before they raise to like 1200 bucks for LE's (I think one shop is doing that here already lol, used rare though)... as much as i kinda enjoy my switch i sure miss 3ds days

Back