• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Never played City Folk, any tips for me?

MayorOrpheus

Bells
New Leaf is my first AC game. City Folk caught my attention when it came out, but I was too busy with school and work and let it slip. I regret that. I got a 3ds and New Leaf as soon as it came out. I've been feeling the desire for a 2nd town and thought going to City Folk would be a great way to do that. I'm wondering how they're different, functionally. For instance, do characters moving in and out work the same from City Folk to New Leaf? Can I convince someone to stay, or even prevent them from moving altogether? Basically I'm wondering if there's any fundamental differences I should know about now so I don't screw something up. Any general tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Also, I haven't bought it yet. If I should to back to a different AC title, please tell me.

Last edited:
Maybe try wild world - apparently city folk was just like this one + plus it's a ds title - you can put it in your 3ds!

Fruit farming. Save up all the money that you can get for the Double Points day at Nook's, then buy EVERYTHING you can in the store. When you run out of money, resell the stuff you just bought and buy more. You'll get up to 50,000 points (the max) this way.

Honestly, I would recommend that you don't even bother with City Folk. It's awful and you get really tired of it. Try Population: Growing or Wild World.

I'd recommend the Gamecube version over City Folk. It actually has some cool features that New Leaf doesn't, while CF is only watered down. The only reason I can think of playing CF over NL is because you can play it on the TV.

But if you are going to play CF, the main thing I can recommend is to be careful about grass wear. Grass wears VERY fast in CF and is hard to grow back. However if you lay down paths right when starting and try to only ever walk on them, you can create really nice natural paths that are much more neat than is possible in NL. And the best way to make money in CF is by growing a foreign fruit orchard. Villager move-outs don't work the same as NL. They don't ping. I believe you won't ever know if someone is moving out until they're in boxes and then you can stop them.

I would think that the Gamecube version would be better for your tastes, lots of cool features and c'mon, who doesn't love that soccer ball! But if you're really set on playing CF, here are a few master tips c: I mean, this is how it works NL > PG > CF >WW

-Never run. Never run ever. Grass takes longer to grow back than in NL and is quicker to die. Never run, immediately put paths down in your high traffic zones.

-Bury a shovel, dig it up the next day c:

- Put your house near Nook's, no point in being near anything else. Also,say goodbye to lilies D:

If you want to run,put paths down.Grass wear happens really fast,and trust me,it looks absolutely disgusting.Or just don't run at all.

If you're visiting Shampoodle for the first time and don't have many bells,use a hair guide.My cousin went there on the second day and got the exact same hairstyle that she already had.

I totally recommend City Folk! I'm currently playing it now, and I love it! I know some people claim it's similar to New Leaf, but personally, I didn't see much similarities. New Leaf has a lot of different features, same with City Folk. But I would definitely give City Folk a try! I would also recommend Population Growing (for Gamecube) as well. Nothing beats the original one! (; Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of Wild World though. Mainly because the graphics are pretty bad. >.< But experiment and see what you like! :)

City Folk is great and I would so recommend it. You can do so much and it would totally be a great second file.

I would definetly reccomend City Folk. The only thing to be careful about though is grass wear. When I first started playing I didn't know about this and ran a lot. Now my town doesn't look that good. So try not to run too much, or put paths down.

Back