• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

↳ Reconstruction Site ₊˚ʚ ᗢ₊˚✧ ゚.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Island/Town Name
Twinleaf
Hemisphere
North
Native Fruit
Peach
Native Flower
Lilies

Myles

Bells
Island
Twinleaf
A portion of my island is shown in the Winter, rife with weeds, misplaced tiny libraries, trees of various heights, and two homes in the background. My character with black eyes, messy long black hair, a cowskull hat, big round glasses, back hightop sneakers, and a beige/white jumpsuit on looks up at the camera with a puzzled expression.

If you're wondering why a bewildered render of Blathers from Animal Crossing (GCN) is my avatar, maybe the length of my post will shed some light on that. Maybe is an intentional keyword. Sometimes, I can't be bothered to write very much nor cover every topic I mean to touch on even in brevity or concise language. This blog journal of mine will serve the purpose of participating in New Year, New Horizons as well as motivating myself to get my island in some working order.

As it does to many, Animal Crossing means a lot to me, you see. I was obsessed with several life-simulation games as a young, ostracized kid including The Sims and Club Penguin. But Animal Crossing was truly the blueprint for me. I first played Animal Crossing: Wild World (NDS) in 2006 on my neighbor's DS across the street and went on to play on my very own starting on my eighth birthday in 2007. I can't say I played in any strategic, coherent way in particular. I time-traveled a lot, used Action Replay, and I didn't meet very many milestones without cheating or getting free items from giveaways on another Animal Crossing forum. I was just interested in simply having a private world of my very own, and most of my memories of playing this game come from playing online with total strangers met on said forum. It was a great escape for me that helped me get through a lot while I was being bullied, and I even still keep up with a few online friends from that time, too! Unfortunately, I reset my town a lot, so I don't have any save file as a memento from that time. I just know that from there onward, Animal Crossing became a permanent fixture in my mind between the aesthetics, the music, and the idea of the game in general.

After getting Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) in 2008, I bought a used GameCube and a copy of Animal Crossing (GCN) at GameStop (when that was still possible). My obsession with Animal Crossing was definitely solid before doing so, but I think visiting its origins is what truly made me fall in love with the game. Like my time with Wild World and City Folk, my initial gameplay wasn't very organized or strategic. I played it to walk around, discover the ins & outs of the game, and admire pretty scenery. A fixation of mine in particular was resetting the game to get three-tiered towns and the return of cliffs and ramps in AC:CF. Because I couldn't play AC:GC with friends and I was getting older, I learned to play with a bit more tact and my towns began to feel more personal and sentimental. To this day, the GameCube version remains the game I've revisited the most over the years, although I do not have an old save file, as my habit of resetting my towns stuck with me like a plague.

This image compares my island's layout (using two map screenshots) circa Summer 2022 and on January 16, 2023. Minor details have been changed and my waterways went over a signigicant structural overhaul.
The name of my very first town in AC:WW was named Twinleaf, an ode to yet another series that became a permanent fixture in my head. And after resetting my island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NSW) for the second time (RIP Mossdeep & Celestic), I vowed to myself to never reset my game again. I gave my third island this namesake to commemorate my many towns lost to impulsivity and my obsessive-compulsive tendencies. The towns I reset in the past often became "tainted" to me by some small details (not time-traveling became a big one for me starting with AC:NL), not feeling immersed enough, thinking my town was ugly, or being hit by the itch to re-experience the beginning of the game. I got trapped in cycles of playing the game obsessively and not touching it for months or years only to revisit a perfectly ordinary, lovely town brimming with potential and erase it. Although this cycle stuck with me to some extent after AC:NH was released, I find being on island number three (going strong since March 3, 2021) to be a huge accomplishment for me!

I absolutely love the terraforming system in AC:NH. Since beginning the game, my dream has been to make a natural-feeling, custom three-tiered island of my own as a ode to my obsession with the GameCube version of Animal Crossing and its topography and charm. Although I don't have a screenshot of Twinleaf's original map, I have these two as a comparison of my progression. I struggle a lot with maintaining my motivation to play and organize my game due to my mental health, but I have a lot of time now after having graduated from college in 2022 and started working from home, and I'd like to finally capitalize on that. So, my next goal is to complete my island's waterways! I hope that maintaining this journal for the challenge will motivate me to finish my islands's layout at the very least and help me find new ways to immerse myself in my island's story.

Last edited:
SC 011723-1.jpg

Northern Lights on 1/17

Hi, I'm back. Not feeling great lately, so here's my summary of the last few days.

My focus, as promised, has been on terraforming my waterways. The spoiler includes a comparison of when I extended the river to the West side of my map on 1/17 vs. when I expanded and altered my lake on 1/19 (today).

1/17
1/19
SC 011721-2.jpg
SC 011923-5.jpg

I find terraforming to be a fun yet stressful process for me. Often, I fixate on minute details to the point where I'm just not having fun anymore. My goal is to make a "natural" looking town, yet I'm not sure if it feels very natural to me based on how every tile of my map gets that obsessive treatment to make sure it's "just right." I also have a tendency to focus on how my work looks on the map instead of how it looks in the overworld. Overall, I think I'm happy with the work I got done. I know I'm going to adjust some things, for sure. Not sure how I feel about the shape of my lake. But overall I think my terraforming endeavors have come at the expense of enjoying the little things that make Animal Crossing fun, so I'm gonna highlight stuff like that as I do this challenge.

This is how I carve out large bodies of water!
SC 011923-1.jpg
SC 011923-3.jpg

SC 011623-2.jpg
SC 011623-3.jpg

I did a group stretching lesson. Leif was there! Afterwards, Kidd and Colton were staring at each other like this while Kidd sang. Little gay moment in the plaza hehe.

SC 011823-1.jpg

Plucky, one of my besties and last remaining day one villagers, asked to visit me because she was feeling down. I let her wander around my house and chatted with her some. These are the kinds of NPC interactions that I find hard to take joy in or feel like they mean much when I'm not feeling my best... Especially with how villager dialogue is in AC:NH. But I'm glad she came!

SC 011923-4.jpg
I think my last highlight is finding this spot for Freya's house as I was terraforming today. She wouldn't get up from a pond edge that I was terraforming, but she expressed to me what a great spot she thought it was and it gave me the idea to move her house to the spot I outlined with dirt. That made me feel like something organically happened on my island, so I'm glad about that, too! It was perfect timing.

That's it for this entry. Maybe more moments like these will turn up if I slow down a bit!

Attachments

• SC 011623-2.jpg
    SC 011623-2.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 13
Hii, oops I fell off of this challenge and this website. But I wanted to post here for the record that I finished terraforming. <3 Anything is possible if you keep at it—even if it takes you almost a year in total!

Twinleaf is still a WIP, but it’s now the layout of my childhood dreams.
3080E3D2-7F33-41AC-9D2D-B49408C0C2BC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back