Ness' Photography Dump

Now this is my kind of thread! I love admiring photos, as well as taking some myself. For starting out these aren't that bad and I encourage you to continue taking more because that is one way you will get better! Recently I picked up 'Read This If You Want to Take Great Photographs' and 'Read This If You Want to Take Great Photographs of People' both by Henry Carroll. The two books would come in handy. 'Read This If You Want to Take Great Photographs' would especially come in handy, as he talks about many basic concepts. :blush:

Last edited:
Look up the principles of art and Values of art, that is what helped me when I was in photography in High School.

Things to keep in mind:
-Make sure you know what you want to focus on in your pictures. (that would have helped with the yellow in the plant picture)
-It's OK to set up situations (obviously, like you have already done with the guitar picture)
-It's OK to not set up situations
-Try to do different Topics, like do one where you have night photography, light photography, cityscape, landscape, etc..

Do you have a photo editing software?

I played around with your first image to see if I could give that some critique
]
reOQRDv.png

I loved the blue/orange contrast in this picture! It really gave certain key objects (the guitar, the lighting, and the pick) some pop, while it let the rest of the blue fade into the background. Only prob here is I think the orange gave the guitar too much focus, and made people think it was the focus rather than the pick.

The main thing that gave me difficulty was the flow of the image.
QJ2pTSZ.png
As you can probably tell, there's a lot of ways the picture is flowing. With the bed, it's flowing horizontally. With the lighting, it's vertical. With the guitar, it's diagonal, and it keeps flowing past the focus. If you keep the lines of the image pulled in towards your focus, it'll make for a much more cohesive picture that doesn't make the viewer question what they should be looking at.

There's also the fact that the focus kind of blended into the guitar. With its dark red hues, it blended in with the dark grey/orange guitar. The contrast for the overall image works well, but right there it's dark on dark - not a good way to make things stand out. I tried brightening up the pick a little, but that might be something you wanna work on.

I took some more photos about an hour ago after school while I was taking a walk. I had a clear thought in my head to go and take some photos of Daffodils that I saw when Dad was taking me home, but I got distracted and saw some Blue Bonnets as well. Here's the pictures today~

Taken 3/21/16

uZsfcI7.jpg

F4gc0Aa.jpg

Any critique would be great, I personally like the Blue Bonnet photo a bit more then the Daffodil one.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the blue bonnet one, too! With all of the linear lines made by the grass, the circular shape of the blue bonnets really help for it to stand out! I'd get the brown leaf out of the picture next time, though ;)

But to kind of point something out, you see how the lines of grass are brought into focus on the front? That's really good!

The yellow one has a pretty distracting background with that white car and wall thing. Maybe a top down shot of the other flower would have been a slightly better shot.

Also, I don't really feel a the sense of cohesiveness in the second picture like I do the first. There, the first has the grass lead into the blue bonnet (really liked that btw!). There's nothing much tying the daffodils to the rest of the composition in the second one.

I personally actually kind of liked the Brown leaf, but I could see it as slightly distracting c:

For the daffodil picture, I like the Fence and I even like the power lines, but the house and white car seem to be distracting. I like the power line cause it makes the picture seem as if you are in the middle of nowhere. The fence is a solid background that is comforting, at least, to me. I would have liked to see either close up of the flowers(More Flower Less Background) or the whole plant down the dirt. I think that might add to the picture. Any angle to make the house and car not visible would be the best thing for the cohesiveness of the plant.

No photo today, sorry! Unless you want a picture of my homework that is.

Sorry i've been so inactive with this recently, i've had a rough week so far. But i've taken several photos, and its supposedly going to rain sunday so i'll be taking plenty of photos then c:

Time to revive this! I've been very busy with things such as school, so i'm bringing back my photography gallery (▰˘◡˘▰)
Oh, and critique is appreciated! Heres some recent photos~

QrOUH0X.jpg

PjxSb7E.jpg

uvJkd6O.jpg

MT0Ru34.jpg

What do you think? I took 3 of these today, but the concert on I took at an earlier date. I'm also a really big fan of the last photo!

Last edited:
Time to revive this! I've been very busy with things such as school, so i'm bringing back my photography gallery (▰˘◡˘▰)
Oh, and critique is appreciated! Heres some recent photos~

QrOUH0X.jpg

PjxSb7E.jpg

uvJkd6O.jpg

MT0Ru34.jpg

What do you think? I took 3 of these today, but the concert on I took at an earlier date. I'm also a really big fan of the last photo!

I like the silhouette photo (I'm usually a sucker for silhouettes) & the last photo as well, it's fun experimenting with lens flare & you can get some really cool effects just shooting towards the sun at different angles

I have new photos, but I think i'm going to move this to the blog tree soon.

Heres some that I took today~

jrwWQQi.jpg

TrwUdC5.jpg

U1ktAPj.jpg

0mFfofn.jpg

These aren't exactly my favorite work i've taken, but I actually like the railroad the best.

I didn't really care much for this at first since its not my best work, but its started growing on me so I thought i'd go ahead and post it.

xxXEnfs.jpg

- - - Post Merge - - -

also updated the OP

Last edited:
This is the first time I'm looking at your photos. As an avid photo taker myself, these are great!

Back