• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Most "pretentious" game you played?

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I've seen that most games now were more towards being some 'postmodern art installment' to 'walking simulators' to 'interactive movies' to overusing the big vocabulary onto writing and making it seem 'deep' or 'complex'.

I'm a big fan of games with actual story, don't get me wrong, but I think it doesn't always have to be deep or complex to convey emotion to a story.

Which is the most "pretentious" game for you? I'm curious.

Not me having to look up a definition for pretentious, lol.

I can’t really think of any pretentious games that I’ve personally played. It doesn’t determine whether or not I like a game, though.

I'm not going to get too in depth about it here, because it's sort of a loaded topic. But Bioshock Inifnite comes to mind. I've seen a lot of praise for this game's story, but I just thought it was extremely overbearing and its handling of very real, sensitive issues to be extremely careless and lackluster. Not helped that the game sort of forgets about the whole thing after awhile. Bearing in mind that I'm not exactly the biggest Bioshock fan in general, but I feel like my gripes with the story can be divorced from my disinterest in the larger series.

Hmmm...I don't really think I play those kind of games, but if I had to pick...maybe Dawn of Sorrow? It was a great game and all, but the cult subplot could fit into that definition.

What Remains of Edith Finch definitely comes to mind. The plot, while entertaining, felt like an adaptation of one of those pretentious Y.A. novels. Everything felt melancholic for the sake of invoking a reaction out of the player. Some of the plot twists felt forced as well. The game does have a few things going for it though. The graphics are fantastic and the voice acting was well done. They did the best they could with the contrived script.

I dont really know if this counts but maybe Fortune Street just because I was kinda disappointed with it??? I have a love hate relationship with Fortune Street. Sometimes its the best and others.... its boring. I love it and hate it but I thought it was going to be like the best game ever when I saw the box when I was little but I guess thats my fault lol

I'm not going to get too in depth about it here, because it's sort of a loaded topic. But Bioshock Inifnite comes to mind. I've seen a lot of praise for this game's story, but I just thought it was extremely overbearing and its handling of very real, sensitive issues to be extremely careless and lackluster. Not helped that the game sort of forgets about the whole thing after awhile. Bearing in mind that I'm not exactly the biggest Bioshock fan in general, but I feel like my gripes with the story can be divorced from my disinterest in the larger series.
i agree with this, with bioshock i tried very hard to enjoy it because i love all things art deco. i played 1 and didnt like it, sister had me play infinite and i liked it less. doesn't help that bioshock infinite apparently has a lot of cut content and empty promises they never delivered on but i wasn't part of pre-game hype. knowing what could have been might have made it more enjoyable for me.

i agree with this, with bioshock i tried very hard to enjoy it because i love all things art deco. i played 1 and didnt like it, sister had me play infinite and i liked it less. doesn't help that bioshock infinite apparently has a lot of cut content and empty promises they never delivered on but i wasn't part of pre-game hype. knowing what could have been might have made it more enjoyable for me.
That's one reason I really wish I could like Bioshock as a series. The art deco style is top notch, probably the most visually appealing I've seen in a video game. But I just couldn't really didn't find myself enjoying it much when I played it, despite not really having any specific issue with them. Infinite, however, is just... it really seems to think it has something important to say, despite never actually saying it. Hearing that a lot of content was cut doesn't entirely surprise me considering how stripped down it feels in other areas, as well.

Honestly now, at this point anything Kotaro Uchoski works on, its just loaded and convoluted af and also anything Tetsuya Nomura adn the director of FF13 writes on too because its just too complicated for its own good and not really easy to get into.

I honestly cannot think of anything I played that I feel fits that definition (that I just looked up). But even then, I barely understand what pretentious means. I don't even know anything about the games mentioned here, so that doesn't help me, haha. Well, besides Fortune Street, but I don't think that one really fits.

I don't know about pretentious, but to me some Overwatch players take themselves too seriously. Lol.

Back