• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mini Rant: The 'Same-ness' of posts on Reddit, Twitter etc.

Observing and commenting, even critically, on social media and gaming trends doesn’t equate to prohibiting anything. No one is being disallowed from decorating a certain way or liking certain things, but it sure feels like there are people who would like to disallow all but the most anodyne comments in the name of “positivity.”
People can do what they want you know? I just want to see something different

Just wait for the Raymond x (Lolly, Rosie, Ankha, Merry, Tangy) wedding photoshoots.

Can't wait to see all the cheesy pics of that (any of the villagers) and the ones they force to live next to each other (usually have heart shape pond around or next to the houses) BeCaUse thEy're in looOove!!
So cheesy..

I ship my villagers too, but I won't ever force them to live right next to each other like that...

Observing and commenting, even critically, on social media and gaming trends doesn’t equate to prohibiting anything. No one is being disallowed from decorating a certain way or liking certain things, but it sure feels like there are people who would like to disallow all but the most anodyne comments in the name of “positivity.”

No need to vague me, just @ me.
I'm not saying people can't have criticism or be bored of the same thing, but people over here making others feel bad for wanting Diana and having to reassure them that they're okay and are allowed to want Diana, but other people who want her are totally annoying is kind of wild, lmao.

People can do what they want you know? I just want to see something different
I get that. For me, it's not wanting a certain kind of content -if I know what I want to see more of, it's kind of on me to start the ball rolling- but I genuinely love visual analysis and trend spotting so I always note what I see and try to make sense of it contextually.

I love K.K. Adventure! I had that playing in my main room for awhile.

I had that playing in my main room in New Leaf. I had a pirate themed room. But now pirate furniture doesn't exist, but K.K. Adventure is still my favorite song.

No need to vague me, just @ me.
I'm not saying people can't have criticism or be bored of the same thing, but people over here making others feel bad for wanting Diana and having to reassure them that they're okay and are allowed to want Diana, but other people who want her are totally annoying is kind of wild, lmao.
Not vaguing- you're definitely not the only person to conflate commentary on a thing with the desire to censor said thing. I am seeing it on tumblr, reddit, even my own facebook (which is weird because I know, like, less than 25 people). These are sensitive times, I guess, which makes sense. I just wish that so many people (note the qualifiers and the plural) didn't think absence of critical commentary was a condition for a positive community.

Well, there are certain themes that people tend to find more appealing (that's true of all kinds of things - not just AC) so I guess it tends to be overdone but, in the end, people can post what they want and if it gets lots of traction, it'll definitely continue.
However; I personally enjoy many of the photos.
I have an ACNH Instagram, too, though many of my villagers are not that popular but I will continue posting what makes me happy.

Not vaguing- you're definitely not the only person to conflate commentary on a thing with the desire to censor said thing. I am seeing it on tumblr, reddit, even my own facebook (which is weird because I know, like, less than 25 people). These are sensitive times, I guess, which makes sense. I just wish that so many people (note the qualifiers and the plural) didn't think absence of critical commentary was a condition for a positive community.

I guess the issue is people aren't really kindly criticising things.
Many people are having fits about things, and acting like it's a cardinal sin to enjoy stuff that they don't.

Like the commentary that has gone on with Raymond. There are definitely people who are fairly dismissing him, and not seeing the hype for him. But there are also an unfortunate lot of people who are acting like he's the worst villager to exist, and that anyone who wants him is only doing it because he's popular, or are stupid for liking him.

Even just within this thread, which started out fairly IMO, has moments of people descending into overly non - constructive commentary. Putting emphasis on things that ultimately just come off like, were their tone carried out over text, they'd be spitting venom on the very idea that someone ... wants to have a bunch of cute flowers and pine trees and a bunch of top tier villagers.

Most people complaining about the toxic spread of this fanbase aren't just upset someone doesn't like Raymond in a maid dress singing the same two or three songs. This fandom has absolutely gotten worse than it was in NL, insofar as cash grabbing, inflation, scams have increased, etc.

The fact the internet in and of itself has changed from the ' don't like, don't read ' mindset it used to have, and wanting to fit in and attention grabbing and needing instant validation has also contributed a lot to the overall atmosphere change.

IDK, I just get tired of people saying others can't share things if someone else already did something similar before. People can be proud of their ironwood kitchen no matter how many other people have already done it. I don't like the ironwood set, but it's not hurting me if a bunch of other people love it and worked very hard to be able to put it together.

I didn't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been said, but in defense of these sorts of posts (even though I don't really participate in such posts personally), I think people get super attached to -their- villagers specifically. Even if it's popular and already out there, they get excited because it was -their- Raymond or Marshall who did something cute.

I have several videos on my Switch saved of Dom just working out or playing with a guitar. I'm sure there are much better videos to be seen of Dom doing these things, but not my Dom and not in my village. These are just for my personal enjoyment and reflection though. Like, if I have a bad day I can at least turn on my Switch and say "Here's Dom playing a guitar. bad feelings are void."

Chances are, because of Raymond's popularity, there are going to be more people who would share video of him versus say... Pompom who does not have the same following. And that's just because of the amount of people who have him. There are probably many people who have him because he is popular and share videos just because it's popular.

Many people are having fits about things, and acting like it's a cardinal sin to enjoy stuff that they don't.

Like the commentary that has gone on with Raymond. There are definitely people who are fairly dismissing him, and not seeing the hype for him. But there are also an unfortunate lot of people who are acting like he's the worst villager to exist, and that anyone who wants him is only doing it because he's popular, or are stupid for liking him.

Even just within this thread, which started out fairly IMO, has moments of people descending into overly non - constructive commentary. Putting emphasis on things that ultimately just come off like, were their tone carried out over text, they'd be spitting venom on the very idea that someone ... wants to have a bunch of cute flowers and pine trees and a bunch of top tier villagers.

Most people complaining about the toxic spread of this fanbase aren't just upset someone doesn't like Raymond in a maid dress singing the same two or three songs. This fandom has absolutely gotten worse than it was in NL, insofar as cash grabbing, inflation, scams have increased, etc.

The fact the internet in and of itself has changed from the ' don't like, don't read ' mindset it used to have, and wanting to fit in and attention grabbing and needing instant validation has also contributed a lot to the overall atmosphere change.

IDK, I just get tired of people saying others can't share things if someone else already did something similar before. People can be proud of their ironwood kitchen no matter how many other people have already done it. I don't like the ironwood set, but it's not hurting me if a bunch of other people love it and worked very hard to be able to put it together.
I hear and agree with a lot of what you are saying, but can I gently point out that phrases like "cardinal sin" and "can't share things" say more about your interpretation than anything else? People grumbling about cottagecore is not constructive, per se, but like, I genuinely don't see how that differs from, say, grumbling about clothing trends. And as long as people don't confuse their dislike for a trend with dislike for a person (don't even get me started on the phenomenon of calling someone "basic"), I think it should be fine to say "bleh, cottagecore." It's a wildly popular style and its adherents can take lots of comfort in the many other folks who love it and say nice things about it. Those voices outnumber the critics by a long shot.

I have to disagree about New Leaf though. I think the community is pretty similar, for both the good and the bad. Or maybe that's because I am still bitter about the times I saw folks charging 2 million bells for hairbow wigs, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah I honestly agree lol. People on Twitter flat out admit they only get the popular villagers whether they like them or not. (there are almost 400 villagers in this game. why get Raymond just cause he's popular if you hate him?)

I mean I have Diana and Julian and love them, so I definitely get the appeal of some of them. (And others I don't ... raymond)

but i agree. doing the dream suite in new leaf got old so fast because almost every town had the same color scheme (pink/pastels), the same 20-ish villagers (marshal diana merengue marina zucker beau julian molly maple ankha lucky etc), the same everything!

obviously people can do whatever they want and i don't really care THAT much.
but in the same vein, i'm allowed to not like it lol

There's a lot of same-ness everywhere for this game. The amount of times I see the same 6 villagers, or towns with "moon" in their name, or "cottagecore" themes... There's nothing wrong with it if that's what you like, and even then it's great to see each person's unique spin on a similar theme. I do think the villager same-ness is unfortunate tho, there are so many underrepresented villagers that need love. Like it's at the point where I got Marina by random chance and while I love her I almost don't want her cuz so many people give her exposure it just feels unfair to other villagers.

*Snip*

Chances are, because of Raymond's popularity, there are going to be more people who would share video of him versus say... Pompom who does not have the same following. And that's just because of the amount of people who have him. There are probably many people who have him because he is popular and share videos just because it's popular.

JUSTICE FOR POMPOM!!

I kinda see what you mean. personally, I also think ironwood kitchens, Bubblegum KK, cottagecore, zen gardens, etc. etc. are overdone. and I don't enjoy seeing them anymore because I've seen them a million times. but I also don't see the point in complaining about it. I'm not trying to tell people that they can't complain about things, but I genuinely don't understand the point. just keep scrolling and move on, post about something else, idk. I'm not sure what threads like this one are supposed to accomplish.

also I can't help but side eye everyone who reacts strongly against putting male villagers in dresses. like don't even pretend that you care about "gay fetishization" or "acting like all gay men wear dresses" (most gender nonconforming people ARE gay, and gender nonconformity is a strong predictor of homosexuality in boys; this is a fact, and ignoring this helps no one. I'm sorry that this makes straight people uncomfortable and they wish we were all gender conforming so they could pretend we're straight, but it doesn't work like that). like just say that seeing boys in dresses makes you uncomfortable and you don't want to deal with that and go, lol.

I hear and agree with a lot of what you are saying, but can I gently point out that phrases like "cardinal sin" and "can't share things" say more about your interpretation than anything else? People grumbling about cottagecore is not constructive, per se, but like, I genuinely don't see how that differs from, say, grumbling about clothing trends. And as long as people don't confuse their dislike for a trend with dislike for a person (don't even get me started on the phenomenon of calling someone "basic"), I think it should be fine to say "bleh, cottagecore." It's a wildly popular style and its adherents can take lots of comfort in the many other folks who love it and say nice things about it. Those voices outnumber the critics by a long shot.

I have to disagree about New Leaf though. I think the community is pretty similar, for both the good and the bad. Or maybe that's because I am still bitter about the times I saw folks charging 2 million bells for hairbow wigs, lol.

I have to get back to work so I can't offer a long and elaborate response, but I'll shorten it to this:

I'm not talking about ' bleh cottagecore. ' And I'm not exaggerating with my choice of wording;I'm not talking about TBT alone. I can say, though, 4chan has been more polite about the way things are going in this fandom than Twitter has. That's my issue.

A lot of the sameness just comes from certain things being popular, thus getting more likes, thus being what you see more often. People like to feel like they had a "successful" post on social media, so they're going to post the popular thing that gets a lot of likes. While the people who aren't decorating in popular themes, or don't have 'S-tier' villagers, aren't going to post because they feel like no one's going to care.

I agree, it gets kinda boring really fast. Currently I’m trying to make my island as unique as possible and still get it to 5 stars, whilst keeping a music-y theme (Musical instruments, villagers who sing a lot, etc). My approach is, if you‘re doing it because you really, genuinely want to and enjoy it, then do it. Don’t just do it for a few likes on twitter

while i definitely see your point, i don’t really care and don’t really use twitter for animal crossing. while every post is starting to look the same, people have the right to share and post whatever they like, even if it’s the millionth photo of raymond in a maid dress lmao

I kinda see what you mean. personally, I also think ironwood kitchens, Bubblegum KK, cottagecore, zen gardens, etc. etc. are overdone. and I don't enjoy seeing them anymore because I've seen them a million times. but I also don't see the point in complaining about it. I'm not trying to tell people that they can't complain about things, but I genuinely don't understand the point. just keep scrolling and move on, post about something else, idk. I'm not sure what threads like this one are supposed to accomplish.

also I can't help but side eye everyone who reacts strongly against putting male villagers in dresses. like don't even pretend that you care about "gay fetishization" or "acting like all gay men wear dresses" (most gender nonconforming people ARE gay, and gender nonconformity is a strong predictor of homosexuality in boys; this is a fact, and ignoring this helps no one. I'm sorry that this makes straight people uncomfortable and they wish we were all gender conforming so they could pretend we're straight, but it doesn't work like that). like just say that seeing boys in dresses makes you uncomfortable and you don't want to deal with that and go, lol.

re: your rant i get what you're saying but not every gay person is gender-non conforming and not every gender non-conforming person is gay. idc if people give their male villagers dresses - i've given julian a few myself - but i just wanted to point that out.

re: your rant i get what you're saying but not every gay person is gender-non conforming and not every gender non-conforming person is gay. idc if people give their male villagers dresses - i've given julian a few myself - but i just wanted to point that out.
I didn't say either of those things.

while i do like to see general discussions and respect the ability to voice out one's opinions/dislikes/hates/rants about the game and community, i feel that i see more threads that express equal levels of frustration & hate over the same set of villagers and overall aspects of the game more-so than appreciation threads lol. don't get me wrong it's absolutely okay to express your dislikes/opinions but maybe instead, dedicate your time to creating a thread that advocates a /different/ set of villagers and unique moments with them.

Back