• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mini Rant: The 'Same-ness' of posts on Reddit, Twitter etc.

Can we just creepy islands like we had in new leaf? Aika town shook me but the story was soooo good! I ended up doing a creepy type town in nl! Just for the dream suit! SHOW ME CREEPY JAPANESE PASTA!! I love my cute stuff but hey seeing a couple of dead villagers and crazy murders n such ain't so bad!

Confession time: I love KK Bubblegum. I don’t care how popular it is—it’s fun, catchy and lifts my mood. I’ve even made it my alarm sound!

Maybe if I’d see it all the time I’d share in the annoyance, but it’s pretty easy for me to just avoid listening to it in videos. The only exposure I have to it is on my own Island, with my own villagers
^ェ^

I agree that seeing all the S tier villagers singing Bubblegum K.K. is annoying. There's 96 K.K. songs and they choose to use only that one. It seems like everyone just copies each other on social media just to copy each other. There's no originality to what they're posting and the whole Raymond in the maid dress thing is pretty old now:cautious:

Confession time: I love KK Bubblegum. I don’t care how popular it is—it’s fun, catchy and lifts my mood. I’ve even made it my alarm sound!

Maybe if I’d see it all the time I’d share in the annoyance, but it’s pretty easy for me to just avoid listening to it in videos. The only exposure I have to it is on my own Island, with my own villagers
^ェ^
I don't think there's anything wrong with liking a K.K. song that is popular. It's no different than people liking popular songs that come on the radio.

...having said that, I am very much a hipster when it comes to music, I don't even listen to music with singing that isn't some form of orchestral or choral work. One thing I love about K.K. Slider's music is that it spans so many genres and doesn't have to be all "pop," and no matter what kind of vibe you're going for in town or in a room, there's a K.K. song that will match what you're going for. Bubblegum K.K. is just the "pop" song of the AC universe. It's gonna be heard more than other music. However, as advice I would also give in real life, give a different K.K. song a chance, you'll find something you'll like that you've never heard before 😋

personally it is kind of annoying to hear the same S tier villagers sing “mii oh aa we oh aa” but whatever I’m not going to tell someone how to play their game

while i do like to see general discussions and respect the ability to voice out one's opinions/dislikes/hates/rants about the game and community, i feel that i see more threads that express equal levels of frustration & hate over the same set of villagers and overall aspects of the game more-so than appreciation threads lol. don't get me wrong it's absolutely okay to express your dislikes/opinions but maybe instead, dedicate your time to creating a thread that advocates a /different/ set of villagers and unique moments with them.
I completely agree! I like when I see how other villagers act and dress/etc. I admit I do have a lot of the top villagers, so whatever I see online I already see in my own game, so it's always refreshing to see the other villagers. I get that some people need to vent out their frustrations, but after, I hope you don't just stick to ranting and complaining, and practice what you preach, and actually show your own content with your own villagers! I for one would love to see it!

I mean, I don't want to sound aggressive, but the line between "I am bored by seeing the same islands, I understand their aesthetics but I wanted to see something new" and "Hehe, look at all these unoriginal players, they all do the same, why do they post it? It's seeking for attention" seems very, very thin. People can post what they want and yeah, when a thing is popular then it appears a lot. And... Why should anyone care that a random person from the Internet considers it boring or repetitive? I don't want to say that that subject and any person posting here is toxic, but it seems likely to become one day and then we'll have another bunch of people who are either scared to make their island in the popular way even though they like it or they will just feel bad and insecure about liking particular popular villager.
So can we people be themselves no matter if they are special snowflakes or just casual players with typical aesthetics? :)
Just my opinion, no offence to any of you.

I guess the issue is people aren't really kindly criticising things.
Many people are having fits about things, and acting like it's a cardinal sin to enjoy stuff that they don't.

Like the commentary that has gone on with Raymond. There are definitely people who are fairly dismissing him, and not seeing the hype for him. But there are also an unfortunate lot of people who are acting like he's the worst villager to exist, and that anyone who wants him is only doing it because he's popular, or are stupid for liking him.

Even just within this thread, which started out fairly IMO, has moments of people descending into overly non - constructive commentary. Putting emphasis on things that ultimately just come off like, were their tone carried out over text, they'd be spitting venom on the very idea that someone ... wants to have a bunch of cute flowers and pine trees and a bunch of top tier villagers.

Most people complaining about the toxic spread of this fanbase aren't just upset someone doesn't like Raymond in a maid dress singing the same two or three songs. This fandom has absolutely gotten worse than it was in NL, insofar as cash grabbing, inflation, scams have increased, etc.

The fact the internet in and of itself has changed from the ' don't like, don't read ' mindset it used to have, and wanting to fit in and attention grabbing and needing instant validation has also contributed a lot to the overall atmosphere change.

IDK, I just get tired of people saying others can't share things if someone else already did something similar before. People can be proud of their ironwood kitchen no matter how many other people have already done it. I don't like the ironwood set, but it's not hurting me if a bunch of other people love it and worked very hard to be able to put it together.

This is basically what I would have said if you hadn't already said it better.

Generally there's a meanness that goes with these "I don't like/am tired of [popular thing]" threads. Assuming they don't start this way right out the gate, they usually devolve into people just being openly disdainful of people who do like/aren't tired of [popular thing]. Then at some point someone will probably say something similar to your first comment and someone else will respond with something about unpopular opinions being silenced or whatever.

There are plenty of popular things in this game I like. I use white flowers in my town, (which has a confirmed Raymond infestation), because I like those things. Personally, I'm not offended if someone says that they don't think they're as great as I do. What I do dislike is this incomprehensible air of superiority that quite often ends up woven into these comments.

Why does virtual cat/flower preference have to become an "us vs. them" issue?

personally it is kind of annoying to hear the same S tier villagers sing “mii oh aa we oh aa” but whatever I’m not going to tell someone how to play their game
I cackled so reading this irl!

I bet you that once we get a new "popular" villager and a new "popular" island theme then people will get annoyed with that too. I get your point about always seeing the same stuff on your feed etc. but I personally get more annoyed when people call it lack of originality and say how they don't see the hype. Yes, it gets repetitive, but that's just what's been getting the most likes and retweets. Plus, this is what people post. Majority of ac players don't post anything from their game, so we don't get to see their villagers or their islands. Idk, I'm just a bit bummed when I see people having fun posting their cottagecore islands with Raymond and Marina, then seeing people talking negative about seeing it everywhere. I'm so bad at wording my thoughts here, but I hope you get the point. Didn't intend to sound so negative either, so I'm sorry. ><

I agree that it can get annoying from the repetition, but that's also how trends work. It also encompasses what the person values or finds importance in. So if 548 people like Raymond singing in a pretty princess dress; that's something they value.

I'm okay with that notion. But if I see 548 posts about pretty princess Raymond in a day, I might think I'm going delirious.

I would just say don't put weight into things that annoy you.
You see it, you hate it, and you leave it.

I bet you that once we get a new "popular" villager and a new "popular" island theme then people will get annoyed with that too. I get your point about always seeing the same stuff on your feed etc. but I personally get more annoyed when people call it lack of originality and say how they don't see the hype. Yes, it gets repetitive, but that's just what's been getting the most likes and retweets. Plus, this is what people post. Majority of ac players don't post anything from their game, so we don't get to see their villagers or their islands. Idk, I'm just a bit bummed when I see people having fun posting their cottagecore islands with Raymond and Marina, then seeing people talking negative about seeing it everywhere. I'm so bad at wording my thoughts here, but I hope you get the point. Didn't intend to sound so negative either, so I'm sorry. ><
Yes! This is exactly why I get so annoyed with the constant “why is Raymond so popular I don’t get it” threads here. Like we get it. Why can’t we allow yourselves to like what we want without having to justify it to you. Our game is tailored to our experience that we want. Not yours. If you want a quirky town full of non popular villagers go for it! No one is stopping you!

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking a K.K. song that is popular. It's no different than people liking popular songs that come on the radio.

...having said that, I am very much a hipster when it comes to music, I don't even listen to music with singing that isn't some form of orchestral or choral work. One thing I love about K.K. Slider's music is that it spans so many genres and doesn't have to be all "pop," and no matter what kind of vibe you're going for in town or in a room, there's a K.K. song that will match what you're going for. Bubblegum K.K. is just the "pop" song of the AC universe. It's gonna be heard more than other music. However, as advice I would also give in real life, give a different K.K. song a chance, you'll find something you'll like that you've never heard before 😋

Oh, I mean I love several other KK songs as well, and Bubblegum isn’t the only one I play or listen to. It just happens to be a favorite of mine. My music tastes in real life are very diverse, and that’s reflected in my ingame preferences. Music is all about emotions to me—and sometimes I enjoy feeling those light and bubbly “pop” emotions.

I didn’t read all of this, but the entire internet has ruined K.K. Bubblegum for me. Thx for that.

Anyway, I’m also getting bored over the fact that some Pictures and Videos are super repetitive, with the same Content of the Same Villagers and the Same Songs and Titles like „Marshal being cute for 6 Minutes.“ That’s like watching someone making Coffee and giving the Video 1 Million Likes, just because people can.

E630B9E5-6302-4CF3-8F66-70BA3FF8D08E.jpeg

I made Photo of White Squirrel sitting in the wrong direction. So funny and kut. Plz gib me like UwU.

Sorry, don’t want to trigger everyone, but that’s how I always feel. And yes, that was me when Marshal said I should sit next to him, so I copied him. Still like Marshal, so don’t worry.

Don’t get me wrong. People can enjoy which villagers and whatever they do with it like they want, but I feel that there are lots of Gamers out there just stealing meaningless Likes for popular Villagers singing K.K. Bubblegum, it’s ridiculous. And I watched the Clicks and yes, K.K. Bubblegum always has way more Clicks And Likes than any other song. So they obviously know why they do it.

Another thing: I think it’s also important to keep in mind that not all people with the same theme are intentionally copying each other or following a trend. Themes and aesthetics are fairly limited if you really think about it, and it makes sense that several people would be working on the same concepts side by side. I think it’s especially sad that non-TTers often don’t even have a chance to present their town before its theme is considered overdone. The same is of course true for new players as well. By the time their Island is complete enough to share, everybody has had their fill from many themes, and their content is automatically considered unoriginal, or worse, stolen. That’s not really fair imo

My brutally honest opinion is this: my Island and villagers are not there to specifically provide anyone with a novel experience. If you want to see unpopular villagers or a one-of-a-kind theme you can do that with your own game. If we all yielded to those demands for originality, all that would say about us is that we give in to peer pressure and sacrifice what we want for others benefit.

Another thing: I think it’s also important to keep in mind that not all people with the same theme are intentionally copying each other or following a trend. Themes and aesthetics are fairly limited if you really think about it, and it makes sense that several people would be working on the same concepts side by side. I think it’s especially sad that non-TTers often don’t even have a chance to present their town before its theme is considered overdone. The same is of course true for new players as well. By the time their Island is complete enough to share, everybody has had their fill from many themes, and their content is automatically considered unoriginal, or worse, stolen. That’s not really fair imo

My brutally honest opinion is this: my Island and villagers are not there to specifically provide anyone with a novel experience. If you want to see unpopular villagers or a one-of-a-kind theme you can do that with your own game. If we all yielded to those demands for originality, all that would say about us is that we give in to peer pressure and sacrifice what we want for others benefit.

I'm not asking for everything to be unique, nor did I mention anyone needing provide a novel experience, just not for it to be the same picture of someone gifting Raymond a Maid's Outfit for the x100th time, or seeing Marshal sitting on a bench or whatever.

I'm not asking for everything to be unique, nor did I mention anyone needing provide a novel experience, just not for it to be the same picture of someone gifting Raymond a Maid's Outfit for the x100th time, or seeing Marshal sitting on a bench or whatever.

I guess I should’ve said that my post wasn’t directly in response to you. It really wasn’t. I don’t share your complaint, but I get where you and others are coming from. I was referring to some comments I’ve seen around here—both recently and dating back to NL. Your post is reasonable enough to me.

I have to ask... where exactly are you seeing these hundreds and thousands of Marshal and Raymond posts? I don't have an Instagram and I tend to stick to Japanese AC Twitter so maybe the English side is different, but I do follow the big AC subreddits, and I see way more posts here complaining about Raymond and Marshal than I see actual posts of them.

Back