• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Metroid Dread (October 2021)

It sounds like the game delivered on what Metroid fans wanted, so that's good.

As someone who is on the fence about Metroid, the talk about the game's difficulty in the reviews has turned me off this one. I'm not very good at these type of games and would have been more inclined to pick it up if it had an option for an easy mode like Zero Mission. I usually try to play video games to relax, so this doesn't seem like the game for me, as cool as it looks.

Last edited:
I've been interested in trying Metroid so I figured Dread was a good opportunity. I only played for an hour today and keep getting stuck in areas. It is definitely interesting and a bit challenging and I am kind of happy with that. If it was to easy, I would easily breeze through it. At least it'll take time to get to know the areas and such. I think it'll be good and I foresee a lot of Internal screaming.

I still have yet to finish the game. I've been somewhat busy. My brother completed it and told me that the ending is going to surprise me, so nobody spoil the ending for me! I like the mechanics in this game. There are some things you couldn't do in previous Metroid games that I hope return in Metroid 6. The bosses are challenging, which is great, because I'm over easy boss fights in a lot of modern day games. They implemented the E.M.M.I. nicely. My first run in with one scared me, but the second one got me stressed. 😆 If they do a remake of Metroid Fusion, I hope they make SA-X act more like the E.M.M.I. My advice to anybody who hasn't ever played a Metroid game, two staples of the series has always been exploration and puzzle solving. Shoot at things with beams, missiles, and bombs.

I have finally completed the game last night. IT WAS GREAT! Though I died a couple of times xD. I had to figure it out but it passed all my expectations as a newcomer. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the next game coming out out soon.

The ending though, definitely surprising. Now there's a hard mode and I don't think I want to do that but I do feel like I want to play it again, but I'm taking a break from it first.

Definitely worth to get it.

I got Metroid Dread last Friday, got to the final boss the same day but decided against trying to beat them then, did 100% item collection and then beat it the next day. Fantastic game, INCREDIBLE FUN (+1 if you get the reference). I loved every second I played it, and it was well worth waiting 19 years after Fusion for us to get a new 2D Metroid game. In terms of the difficulty, I never found the game too challenging. Some of the bosses were tough, but I never got frustrated with them despite dying again and again. I was able to learn more with every attempt, which helped me adapt and overcome them.

It's definitely the Game of the Year for 2021 in my eyes. Definitely a top 3 game in the Metroid series as well, alongside Metroid Prime and Super Metroid. I'm definitely looking forward to replaying it again and again in the future. This will definitely help to resurrect the Metroid series after Other M nearly killed it.

Beat the game yesterday, 100%. Playing through Hard Mode. Fantastic game, love the challenge. Overcoming the tougher EMMI’s was so satisfying. The boss fights were a blast, exploration rewards you, or gets you lost, but finding your way in Metroid is half the fun.

I've been playing the game since last Monday where I can (apparently only 4 hours) and honestly, I think it's not just one of the best Metroid games but one of the best Metroidvania's.

I also don't think there's any debate to whether it's worth the full retail price as the difference between Dread and the cheaper games it's compared to (Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, etc.) is night and day. Not to 'poo poo' those games, they're brilliant, but Dread's budget clearly shows.

The only """flaw""" I would say it has are upgrades come few and far between for the first hour or two and then you're just bombarded with them. Could have spaced that out a little better as it all feels like it comes at once. I didn't think there were going to be many upgrades in the game when I first started playing (which I would have also been fine with) but then it's just consistent 'You have unlocked X/Y/X'.

Other than that, absolutely no issues with the game and whilst I may have to reassess once I've finished and had some time to let it settle in my opinion, I think Super Metroid may have finally been surpassed as my favorite Metroid game.

Back