• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Metroid Dread (October 2021)

Game looks great, but it isn't worth $60. I've been arguing with Nintendo die-hards on Facebook about this. Of course it will sell like hot cakes even at $60...which is exactly why it's priced so high. Especially for fans of the original Metroid games. But, there is nothing about this style of 2.5 platformer that makes it worth that. You compare it to games like Sundred, Dead Cells, Ori, The Messenger, Carrion, etc...and it should easily be something like $30. Maybe $40 if you want to be generous.

Oh my God, when the 5 showed up I nearly screamed, then the title drop and I actually screamed. Dread was suppose to come out on the Nintendo DS AGES ago, but got cancelled due to hardware limitations and was just.. forgotten.

Until today aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh my God, when the 5 showed up I nearly screamed, then the title drop and I actually screamed. Dread was suppose to come out on the Nintendo DS AGES ago, but got cancelled due to hardware limitations and was just.. forgotten.

Yeah, I think this is super cool. A new 2D-Metroid is already pretty nice (and it looks really really good in my opinion). But the fact that this is a game that was supposed to come out such a long time ago is amazing.

I've been waiting 19 years for a new entry in the mainline Metroid series. My heart skipped a few beats when the letters M E T R O I D followed by a 5 appeared on my screen. Arghh! October can't come soon enough.

Hard same. METROID 5 ….. METROID DREAD

Just absolutely blew my mind since I remembered reading rumors back in Middle/Junior High about Dread and the fact it’s real just put it on TWEWY hype levels for me. Managed to pre-order the Collector’s Edition with Gamestop, I cannot wait.

I feel like the game is finished, tbh. I think the October release date is because they have Mario Golf coming this month, Skyward Sword in July, and other games through the summer...then Pokemon in November. So...yeah, October was a weak spot in their schedule, and now it's suspiciously filled. Lol. When they were showing it on Treehouse, it seemed like a completed game to me.

Game looks great, but it isn't worth $60. I've been arguing with Nintendo die-hards on Facebook about this. Of course it will sell like hot cakes even at $60...which is exactly why it's priced so high. Especially for fans of the original Metroid games. But, there is nothing about this style of 2.5 platformer that makes it worth that. You compare it to games like Sundred, Dead Cells, Ori, The Messenger, Carrion, etc...and it should easily be something like $30. Maybe $40 if you want to be generous.

I disagree with the comparisons. Those all look pixel art. I hope this game sells like hot cakes because Metroid: Samus Returns didn't. $60 is fine.

I disagree with the comparisons. Those all look pixel art. I hope this game sells like hot cakes because Metroid: Samus Returns didn't. $60 is fine.

It'll be 90$ for me. Hurrah for terribly priced electronic-related items in Canada! Still buying it, though.

I'll wait for it to come down. (It will). Plenty of Nintendo games stay at full price, pretty much forever. This one is going to have a boom period and then come down to the price it actually should be. You can quote me on that.

I'll wait for it to come down. (It will). Plenty of Nintendo games stay at full price, pretty much forever. This one is going to have a boom period and then come down to the price it actually should be. You can quote me on that.

Nintendo can sell this game at $60 because they know people will buy it. It's a well-known franchise that has a low chance of failing in sales, whereas video games that you listed, correct me if I am wrong, are indie games, which have a great risk at failure because they're not recognizable series'. That's most likely why they sold for a lower price. Metroid: Samus Returns sells for $54.95 where I live and that game has been out since 2017. I can't find anything on Target since it looks like they no longer hold that game. Maybe Metroid Dread's price will decrease overtime, who knows? If this game doesn't deserve to be $60, then no Nintendo game does.

Of course, I know that that it will sell. I just said it isn't worth it for what the gameplay actually is. I think we're in agreement that people will overpay just because 'Nintendo' is slapped on something. But...that's my point. If anyone other than Nintendo made a game in this style, in 2021, and it wasn't a "beloved franchise", it would not be a $60 game.

Last edited:
Of course, I know that that it will sell. I just said it isn't worth it for what the gameplay actually is. I think we're in agreement that people will overpay just because 'Nintendo' is slapped on something. But...that's my point. If anyone other than Nintendo made a game in this style, in 2021, and it wasn't a "beloved franchise", it would not be a $60 game.

What's the gameplay? It's not out yet. People overpay for any game that has a recognizable name.

I'm very much looking forward to this.

I've always loved the 2D Metroid ever since first playing Fusion. I'm fairly sure that Fusion was my first 'MetroidVania' style game and I've really liked the format ever since. I even found a lot of enjoyment from Other M because it somewhat managed to resemble that formula.

I like Prime as well but for me I much prefer the 2D games, though up until this release I felt we probably wouldn't get any more outside of remakes like Samus Returns. This gives me hope that they'll continue releasing the 2D games regularly once every 10 years.

That said, I think the name is stupid.

It could be argued that those games could be charging more rather than Metroid Dread charging less.

That aside, I don't see why the game being a 2D/2.5D platformer inherently means it shouldn't cost full retail. That's almost devaluing an entire genre as well as work put into the game.

Comparing it to indie titles is an unbalanced comparison. Indie titles cut a lot of corners, specifically the art style they all (well, 90% of them) tend to choose which is often excused (often by the developer themselves) as the best art style to go with due to lower costs and skill required to develop. They also have to stay competitive in an overcrowded market where charging $60 for a game when you're an unknown developer with little to no public profile means people just won't buy your game when they can pick up Hollow Knight for $20 (or whatever it costs). Jimmy Bollock from 'BrandNewStudio Ltd' could charge $60 for his Contra rip off/"""spiritual successor""", but who the hell is going to buy the game from that unknown randomer from a studio they've never heard of? They also have far less overheads to pay for with fewer staff, bills and what other expenses a bigger development team would have.

To a degree, the indie market has ruined the prospect of bigger budget 2D platformers (among a few other genres) as people now don't value them above £20 because that's the 'indie price', a price point that just isn't viable for a larger studio who is going to produce a 2D platformer that is night and day comparison to many indies. So when a AAA developer takes the risk of developing a 2D platformer with their AAA funding, nobody buys it "because I got Super Meat Boy for £2 on a Steam sale", then we have people crying that they haven't done a 2D Metroid since Dread 10 years from now.

Meanwhile, 3D games get a pass of always being justified for a $60 pricetag when quite frankly, most of them could probably do with charging less for what they are.

I'm all for arguing against the tons of crap Nintendo pulls and gets away with on a near monthly basis (many examples of me calling them crap can be found) but the price of this game doesn't feel like an issue to me.

What's the gameplay? It's not out yet. People overpay for any game that has a recognizable name.

I mean...you can literally see what the gameplay is in the trailer. Lol. It's the same as early Metroid games. Run, jump, shoot. Seems to be an element of a chase with the Dread. But, yeah...pretty straight forward. It's a 2.5D sidescrolling action platform...what can we not observe from the trailer?

I mean...you can literally see what the gameplay is in the trailer. Lol. It's the same as early Metroid games. Run, jump, shoot. Seems to be an element of a chase with the Dread. But, yeah...pretty straight forward. It's a 2.5D sidescrolling action platform...what can we not observe from the trailer?
The Mario games are all practically the same. The only changes are new levels, new items, new music, probably going to save the princess again. But you still go around holding right, jumping or shooting enemies, and people will spend $60 for that 2.5D game. Ocarina of Time sold for whatever price it was at the time, but it was basically just a 3D version of A Link to the Past. Pokémon is pretty much the same game since day one. They added slight changes, but you pretty much go around doing the same thing as the other games. Not sure if you did, but if you bought Animal Crossing: New Horizons, then it wasn't really worth $60 because it has fewer items compared to New Leaf, the music isn't as great, and the only real new feature is terraforming and putting furniture outside. You can apply "it's the same game" argument to any game that has a series.

But don't buy Metroid Dread. That's fine. Just don't tell other people how to spend their money. A sequel to Metroid Fusion is a big deal because fans have been waiting for 19 years and the rumors about Metroid Dread being a real game actually came into fruition.

Metroid is one of my all time favourite series, so glad to have an actual sequel to Fusion which was my first Metroid game :)

I was waiting for years for a new Metroid game to arrive and it looks like my wish came true🎉 This was the only interesting thing from E3 as everything else from E3 was ok. This game stood out and man my eyes widened when l watched the trailer live👀 One last thing to say that it saved Prime 4

Happy launch day! I just bought this more as a surprise for my boyfriend than for me. Action platformers aren't my thing, but I've heard nothing but good things about this game so far. :)

Back