Malicious Hacker?

Bells
i went on the island and there was this nice hacker giving out stuff his name was Joseph but i cant remember his town name. He had these hole items which were a leaf labeled ??? i picked it up and he said. the item will slowly corrupt my game and it didn't matter if i errored because it was already embedded into the code of my game, i'm scared I've worked really hard on my town was he just saying this to scare me or was he telling the truth?:(

Hmm, well I can't say for sure whether what he says is true or not so we'll just have to wait and see. But I will say that I have doubts that the item will able to corrupt your game slowly. I assume a company like nintendo would have measurements in place in the coding to ensure things like this don't happen. I feel like if it was going to corrupt your game, it probably would've done it there and then. I'm not an expert though, as i've never really had an experience with this kind of thing so i'm just going off personal opinion. In the future though, i wouldn't recommend taking items from people you don't know, especially if something seems off about it. For example if they're giving out tons of free crowns and bells that don't run out or something like that. (From what I remember you shouldn't be able to take anything you're holding to the island so that is suspicious in itself, but correct me if i'm wrong) Do you have a trash can or anything that you can put this item into? Either way, I hope this was of some help to you.

Last edited:
He's lying to you. As a former hacker, nothing you pick up becomes permanent unless you save. And even then, it's not possible to 'slowly' corrupt your game. Like Senshi said, if corruption was gonna happen, it would have done so there and then.

I can somewhat add to this with a similar experience. I went to the island once and found a hacker like you said who was giving out these items that were named "???" and it was just a snowflake disguised as a leaf item (I'm able to show it off, but cant place it in a room) and I've kept it in my secret storage ever since.

This was many many months ago and my game has been completely fine. I doubt the "it'll corrupt your game slowly" statement. It most likely would've just corrupted right then and there like the others above me have said. :)

As far as I know the only things you can take to the island with you are flowers because you can wear them. Other than that I wouldn't suggest ever picking up an item on the island - especially from someone you just met. I believe what the others on here said is true about the corruption.

I can’t believe how bad Club Tortimer gotten. Back when ACNL was new, it was full of trashy kids that act like spoiled brats. Now it’s become a place where hackers visit just to ruin others’ experiences.

Still not as bad as the seeding incident. I heard that seeding done by others can damage your DS, not just the towns being seeded in ACWW.

I can’t believe how bad Club Tortimer gotten. Back when ACNL was new, it was full of trashy kids that act like spoiled brats. Now it’s become a place where hackers visit just to ruin others’ experiences.
I can pretty much guarantee that Nintendo isn't gonna put something like Club Tortimer in the next game. Unless they decided to put extra security checks in and not allow any hacked items at all, I doubt it will return.

I only went on Club Tortimer island once, and there was some little kid begging for 50k bells. I gave it to him because i felr bad at the time and I had a lot of bells, but that was a long time ago and I won't do that anymore. It's sad to see a bunch of hackers going to the island and ruining everyone's experience now.

Hackers are always trying to scare people online on the islands, like a guy was saying "I'm hacking in your gmail" to me and nothing never happen because I knew he was trying to scare me which is very lame of that weirdo.
So I say I'm sure your town will be fine, hackers just lie to people and trying to scare them because they think they're so cool which they are not at all.

UGH I didn't post this twice at all, stupid belltree its so broken.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you pick up anything someone dropped at CT?

If you care about your game, don't pick up hacked items.

i really wasn't thinking about the possibility of my game being damaged i knew your game could be corrupted by visiting hacked dream towns or entering hacked buildings etc... plus he didn't seem sketchy so i guess i let my guard down

Ugh, sometimes I have a feeling those kinds of hackers are just making lies to scare you or something. Good thing you can just blacklist them and not bump into them ever again.

Back