• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Languages you would like to learn?

None but i wish all of the people in my english class would learn english so i wouldn't have to listen to them stumble over the same word over and over again when the overly cheery teacher picks them so that she can feel like she is making a difference in their lives while the whole time she's just annoying myself and lowering the person's self esteem

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, and i have a basic understanding of spanish

you know, some people have more trouble pronouncing words not because they are unintelligent, but because our brains just work differently

Ahh maybe learning korean?? or chinese maybe??? i'm currently learning japanese rn at my high school im quite fond of it!!! but then again there's times where i hate it LOL (-:

Right now I'm learning French(for the last year) and Korean(kinda just started). I know random bits of Japanese. Not enough to have a full conversation anymore since French and Korean have taken over.

I'm currently trying to learn Japanese because it seems its just handy to have!

I'm going to try and learn Portuguese and Spanish too (I'm going to Spain next year and my friend is Portuguese so why not?), I'm going to give German and French a go as well once again as I'm not fully certain that I'm fluent in those yet.

Konnichiwa, de ip-pun desu 17:30, de mata.
Hello/Good day, in 1 minute it will be 5:30, see you later.

>French
French is incredibly easy. I only spent a half a week learning it and I can already understand a good bit of it. If you do decide to learn French on a serious level, switch your 3DS to French after you've learned the basics.

>"Japanese isn't simple, I just got to the hard parts."
Well yeah, the alphabet and grammar is different. Asian languages in general are incredibly hard to learn. Where are you at?

>Portuguese
I would imagine most Portuguese speakers can speak English or Spanish. On a side note, I always thought Portuguese sounds weird

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Language_Learning_Difficulty_for_English_Speakers

I'd like to learn Korean so I can actually understand ****

바나나입니다~ ☆

Korean is such a beautiful language.

Korean>Japanese>>>>>>>Chinese

I'm almost finished with my Spanish classes (so I can actually communicate with my family) but I have to start thinking about learning Japanese soon because I'll be staying there in Japan for a few months when I'm finished with my classes, so I figure it would be hard to get around without it!
>soon
You are not going to learn all of what you need in a small frame of time.

French, Indonesian and Swedish.
I already speak Dutch German English(yes really) and a bit of French and Indonesian

oh and also South African, which is a lot like Dutch tho

Why Indonesian? Do you have family over there?

I'm almost finished with my Spanish classes (so I can actually communicate with my family) but I have to start thinking about learning Japanese soon because I'll be staying there in Japan for a few months when I'm finished with my classes, so I figure it would be hard to get around without it!

If you'll be in the Tokyo area, it won't be as hard to get around as you might think. A lot of signage is at least partly in English, and most major train lines like the Chou and Yamamote line, which you'll take around the Shinjuku-Shibuya area, make announcements in both Japanese and English. The train maps are in English as well. A lot of people in Japan will understand you're trying your best and will be as helpful as they can as long as they see you're making an effort, strange as it may sound.

Those little apps and books that teach phrases useful for travel are a good place to start if you need to learn a lot quickly.

oh. I want to learn Spanish, Japanese and Russian
I want to travel around the world and meet new friends from different coutries

My number one goal is becoming better at Swedish. I'm hoping to take more courses in the autumn but in the meantime, I'm trying to maintain my knowledge by reading the news in Swedish, going through my old schoolbooks and watching Swedish shows on TV.

Other than that, I'd love to know Cantonese and Russian but it's not very realistic. I'd rather study something that has less grammar. More realistically, I might take up French again because I already have a basic knowledge of it. Norwegian would be fun too because I like how it sounds. My knowledge of Swedish would be a big help, as long as I don't mix the two.

I would like to learn japanese and korean. (just for my little sister, she loves K-pop Cx)

Learning French, I downloaded Duolingo after someone advised me to and it's really fun but not a lot is sticking, like I remember it but there isn't enough "voice" lessons, I'll say the words when I am doing the exercises but idk. I will probably go back and re-do them and then do my Rosetta Stone as well, as I think Rosetta Stone is a bit more "serious" if that makes sense. But that is my goal for the year, well one of them. I've wanted to learn French since I was younger.

Learning French, I downloaded Duolingo after someone advised me to and it's really fun but not a lot is sticking, like I remember it but there isn't enough "voice" lessons, I'll say the words when I am doing the exercises but idk. I will probably go back and re-do them and then do my Rosetta Stone as well, as I think Rosetta Stone is a bit more "serious" if that makes sense. But that is my goal for the year, well one of them. I've wanted to learn French since I was younger.

Reading helps, watching a French movie with the French subtiles might help too. It how I learned English, it took me an eternity to read the first books, even if those were just chick-lit or children books but I'm better now ;)

Icelandic, since I'm planning to move there at some point.
Most of the people there speak English though, but it would be cool to learn a complicated language.

Yeah, you have to redo the lessons over and over in order to retain what you learned. Also, Rosetta Stone and Duolingo aren't going to be enough. Did you look into those books I recommended? If you're tight on funds, you could probably pirate them.

I'd love to learn French. I can already speak Spanish.... at least, decentlyish. Enough to get by lol

Bahasa Indonesia. I really should have learned it and become fluent a long time ago. Working on that now, though I'm also frequently pulled back to Japanese, which I probably know more of than any language except English... I just don't have much use for it.

Since I'm a Canadian and a disabled person, French and ASL. (For clarification, I'm not Deaf/HoH or mute/non-verbal, but I am Autistic and have some level of verbal communication issues, plus if I get more involved in the disabled community I might meet a lot of Deaf/HoH or mute/non-verbal people)

Back