Just watched my first actual anime

Kirito's cute tbh...

Are there any other animes that you would recommend? Preferably I guess you could say "family friendly"? Like low language, nothing really innapropriate, etc. My mom is kinda picky...

Depends how family friendly; a lot of the shounen and shoujo anime (typically for the demographic around ages 7-16) can still have blood and occasional swearing; Naruto and Dragonball Z has both. So, it really depends on the level/amount of blood and swearing, and if you're watching the sub or the dub. Often times, some swearing will be cut out of the dub even in "uncut" versions.

I really only watch sub stuff these days (as I've found the dubbing of anime to get more and more obnoxious and poor quality on the part of the voice actors), so most of my suggestions are based off of that...and the fact that, though I've been meaning to check out SAO, I haven't actually seen it so I can't base a level of graphicness/swearing off of it.

Though "Attack on Titan" is a good anime, it's extremely violent and graphic; just to warn about that one. "Fullmetal Alchemist" (both 2003 and 2009 versions) is also a very good anime, but also can get quite bloody and graphic.

Anime which doesn't have a lot of swearing and blood and can be seen as more family friendly would be:
-Natsume Yuujinchou (drama/supernatural)
-Kyo Kara Maoh (fantasy/comedy)
-The Slayers (fantasy/comedy)
-Dragonball (martial arts/adventure; first series)
-Shaman King (shounen/supernatural)
-Gundam Wing (though, there's a good amount of violence in this; sci-fi/drama)
-Dog Days (fantasy/comedy)
-Lovely Complex (Love-Com; romance/comedy)
-Bakuman (drama/slice-of-life)
-Kimi to Boku (slice-of-life)
-Magic Kaitou (crime/mystery)
-Elemental Gelade (adventure/fantasy)
-King of Bandits Jing (crime/adventure/comedy)
-K-On (comedy/music/slice-of-life)
-Sailor Moon (magical girl/romance)
-Sket Dance (comedy/school life)
-Usagi Drop (slice-of-life/drama)

Even tamer anime (without crossing down to the level of children's anime like "Hamtaro" or "Zorori") :
-Machine Robo Rescue (totally family safe; sci-fi)
-Digimon (adventure)
-Pokemon (also totally family safe; adventure)
-Monster Rancher (adventure)
-Yu-Gi-OH (card battles) (1998 version/season zero is the best version of this anime, though it's a bit darker)

...and pretty much any sports anime. Some good ones are: Cross Game (baseball), Major (baseball), Ookiku Furikabutte/Big Windup (baseball), Whistle! (soccer/football), and Ginga e Kickoff (soccer/football).

I just finished Season 1? (It's on Netflix, but they don't always Season them correctly...) I got to the part where Aincrad came into Alfheim. Is there more after that or is that it? The name "Sword Art Online" came up like the season was over.... I want more haha.

Never watched sao, but if what I read in reviews is true (which it probably is), then I have no intention of ever doing so except maybe if I feel like waching crap anime for teh lulz.

Anyway, yeah, better anime out there imho.

I recommend these gems:
Fullmetal Alchemist: BH
FLCL (Obligary for all anime fans ever)
Madoka Magica
Darker Than Black
Nabari No Ou
xxxHOLiC

The first anime I ever watched was Sailor Moon. I loved watching it whenever I got home from school. Funny thing is I didn't even know what anime was at the time.

There's quite a few good anime out there though it mostly depends on what genres you like the most. ^u^

Some recommendations:
Cowboy Bebop
Madoka
Samurai Champloo
Cardcaptor Sakura
Full Metal Alchemist: Brottherhood

If I had to pick, these would be the best that I've seen.

Last edited:
Does the Pokemon anime count?

If not, then it's Dragon Ball Z or Inuyasha that are my first anime.

Here are some reccommendations:
Nichijou (NOBODY EVER TALKS ABOUT THIS EXCEPT ME AND IT'S AMAAAAZIIIIINNNNG)
Space Dandy
Digimon Adventure
Digimon Tamers
Sailor Moon
Fairy Tale
SGT. Frog
Ranma 1/2
And Cowboy Bebop.

Last edited:
SAO was good in the beginning but then it turned into crappy damsel in distress BS and I stopped caring about it.

My favorite animes are Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Alchemist (both), Gundam Wing, Digimon (S1-4 only), Darker Than Black, Gurren Lagann, Death Note, Kaichou wa Maid-sama.

I'm missing a few I'm pretty sure.

I use MyAnimeList for series reviews and recommendations. You should make an account there while you're at it. I promise you won't regret it ;)

SAO started off pretty good but I got a little bored of it to be honest and stopped about half way through the first season.

There's another anime with a similar premise I think called Log Horizon. I haven't watched it so I have no idea how "family friendly" it is.

Trying to think of family friendly ones besides ones that already air on western television is harder than I thought...
I do recommend InuYasha as an introductory anime. I think it's technically intended for teens but I watched it when I was 10/11 and was perfectly fine. There's no swearing, just some violence that's not that bad. It's basically just sword fights and monsters that raise the age rating.
Sailor Moon's always good. Either the original or the new one (Sailor Moon Crystal).
One that I've been watching lately is Your Lie in April. Slice of life kinda thing. It's pretty cute. Nice animation. Great music (it's about a pianist and a violinist). Pretty family friendly.
Fullmetal Alchemist is a classic. I think it's also intended for teens but again I watched it at around the same age as I watched InuYasha.

I've started watching Polar Bear Cafe and it's the cutest thing and really funny.

Does Avatar: The Last Airbender count?

Last edited:
Kirito's cute tbh...

Are there any other animes that you would recommend? Preferably I guess you could say "family friendly"? Like low language, nothing really innapropriate, etc. My mom is kinda picky...

My parents are the same way. If the language and sexual themes are too much, it isn't allowed. xD
Two shows I recommend are Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note. They do have some language, but it's not too bad imo. There are little to no sexual themes. Though, there are some dark and intense scenes.

Sword Art Online is amazing. We are watching Attack on Titan right now, so many feeeels.

SAO is pretty decent as an introductory anime.

Other introductory animes are:
  • Naruto
  • Inuyasha
  • Dragonball Z
  • Bleach

I suggest the following, harder anime:

• Hellsing
  • Trinity Blood
  • Trigun
  • Witchblade
  • Shiki
  • Vampire Knight
  • Basilisk
  • Escaflowne
  • Tenchi Muyo!
  • Yu Yu Hakusho
  • Fushigii Yuugi

I wouldn't recommend Vampire Knight. Replace that with Fullmetal Alchemist and your list is a'ok.

I didn't care for it. The idea could of been great if executed properly. Sadly, to me, it didn't deliver.

I've heard really negative things about SAO lol, so I'm not really interested in watching it.

Also not a very big fan of Attack on Titan/ Shingeki no Kyojin, but if you want to watch it, I'd check it out. I've heard from several of my friends that it's really starting to go downhill and that you can tell the author has no idea what they're doing, so. I guess there's that to think about.

Someone mentioned Inuyasha earlier, and I'd probably second that as a recommendation. It's not amazing or anything, but it can be entertaining. IMO though you should probably read it; the manga may be unnecessarily long, but the anime has a lot of stupid filler, making it even longer.

Others that are good:

Sailor Moon
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece (but if you don't have time to watch like 600+ episodes, don't bother)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Gurren Lagann

Mirai Nikki is pretty good, but the ending's kind of weird and unsatisfying (at least to me), so you may get terr and find out that you don't like it very much anymore. Zankyou no Terror is also a good anime.

I've also heard good things about Mawaru Penguindrum, Elfen Lied, Creamy Mami, and Serial Experiments Lain, but I haven't watched any of them. Also, keep in mind that Elfen Lied is pretty graphic (which is why I don't want to watch it lol), so you may want to steer clear of it.

Have fun! :)

I haven't seen this recommended anywhere so Inazuma Eleven might interest you. It's an anime centered on soccer but it's... kinda magical. I was obsessed to it in 2011 and so are a lot of my friends. It has A LOT of episodes but it was a really fun watch. Since it's a kids show, it's definitely family friendly and teaches valuable lessons too. The main character in particular, Endou Mamoru/Mark Evans, motivates his team with his spirit and words, and it definitely lifted my spirit too. This is originally a game and it's available on the 3DS eShop. The game is fun :D

Attack on Titan is TV-MA though right? It's for the gore I'm guessing?

I think I'll start Full Metal Alchemist. Also wondering where you guys get the DVD's or where you watch them? The Netflix selection isn't very broad.

Kirito's cute tbh...

Try Love Live! School Idol Project. It's family friendly and actually very funny/deep!

It's about a group of girls that form together to make an idol group to stop their school from closing.

Also, there's 2 seasons!

Last edited:
Back