• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

I've never found a villager so off-putting...

Mr.Fox

Fantastic
Bells
Gastly Halloweaster Egg
Boo Halloweaster Egg
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
Yoshi Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
...as I do Paolo.

Generally when I go island hopping, I'll automatically settle on a WA villager I don't have the amiibo card for since they're rare/expensive. This past weekend I found Paolo, so I moved him in. The days following his unpacking have gone like this:

Day 1: I see he lives in a bathroom...but I can deal with that. Some villagers have pretty messed up houses.
Day 2: He asks me what kind of sweets I like, and I pick chocolate. He likes chocolate too!...and then proceeds to tell me he likes milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and the chocolate he lets melt in his pocket that he calls 'finger goop'. Cool...
Day 3: Immediately after entering his house, he plops down on his toilet...so I leave.
Day 4: Today, he is sick...and tells me he wishes he had tissues because he's got a lot of nose gunk that should be in those tissues.

This is easily the dirtiest lazy I've ever encountered lol He'll also be breaking the record for the shortest time I've let a villager live on my island.

Anybody else harboring a dirtbag right now?

not quite! paolo seems like he has his own issues to sort out lol

my lazies just talk about the bugs in their floors, not much else! that’s funny how off putting he is m, especially when you catch him doing the weirdest things

Well, those dialogues are applicable to all lazy villagers. I've had all those dialogues with either Punchy, Lucky, or Filbert before. It just happens that Paolo got a toilet house... and that kinda made things worse for him.
Then I'm lucky because of ALL the lazy villagers, there's now only 16 I haven't had before, and of the 20 or so that I've entertained during NH not one of them has had that dialogue.

Most of my lazys have been personality B though, and Paolo is personality A.

I think Paolo is kind of cute. I currently have all of my dream villagers, but I haven’t noticed any weird dialogue. I try not to pay much attention to it though as it’s just a game. I find most of the dialogue in the game to be funny.

I have to agree with you that Paolo is just.. something's just off with him. I feel like I should like him because he is a literal pink elephant and eyebrow goals but there's definitely something weird about him. I've run in to him island hopping a few times but I have never invited him because I just get a weird vibe from him lol

LOL poor paolo. i don’t consider any of the lazies that i’ve had to be off-putting but god is their dialogue weird at times 💀. between the bugs that they’re constantly seeing and the occasional mention of night clowns, i’m lowkey a bit worried about them. 🤣

Last edited:
Well, we're off to an AWESOME start....here's me beginning to scan in his replacement...

monique.jpeg

I do find that just due to the way the rng plays out especially initially, I can feel really differently about two villagers of the same type (and subtype). And it really can build a different picture of the villager in your head of that particular villager, even when/ if you experience the same dialogue. To me it is a mix of luck on what the first few more elaborate bits of dialogue you get, the way the villager reactions come across, and other little ransoms accidents of coincidence. Although I didn’t find him terrible, I had that experience with Lionel and then Graham. They are both smugs of the same type. I didn’t hate Lionel, but a lot of his dialogue for whatever reason came across and weirdly flirty and I did not like that, it made him seem kind of gross at times. But Graham always just seemed so sweet and innocent and loveably dorky to me. I know they had the same dialogue and same reactions to things, but the parts that stuck out to me and how they came across was totally different.

On your Paulo experience, I admit I find the lazy dialogue most charming when they are talking about the weirdest stuff, but I can understand it is not for everyone!

I also enjoy when Genji tells me how he likes to sleep in his own sweat soaked clothing because he finds the smell comforting (or something like that) 😅

I do find that just due to the way the rng plays out especially initially, I can feel really differently about two villagers of the same type (and subtype). And it really can build a different picture of the villager in your head of that particular villager, even when/ if you experience the same dialogue. To me it is a mix of luck on what the first few more elaborate bits of dialogue you get, the way the villager reactions come across, and other little ransoms accidents of coincidence.

This. Exactly. I'm glad someone else understands this concept lol

I had Paolo in Gamecube so I've always liked him. Although the lazy dialogue was better in Gamecube so he wasn't off-putting to me in that game.

I recently had ruby on my island.
I've never hated a villager more.
She was rude and sarcastic and mocking and evil.

I know there was nothing different about her, and that I've heard the same lines from Carmen who I adored and want back one day. But from Ruby... they were evil lines.

She ruined the peppy personality for me
I now have a third smug instead.

Not at the moment...
When I first started my island, my starter villager was curly. When I was trying to catch a bug he got in the way, he got some of my villagers mad too and it took forever to get him off my island.

I do find that just due to the way the rng plays out especially initially, I can feel really differently about two villagers of the same type (and subtype). And it really can build a different picture of the villager in your head of that particular villager, even when/ if you experience the same dialogue. To me it is a mix of luck on what the first few more elaborate bits of dialogue you get, the way the villager reactions come across, and other little ransoms accidents of coincidence. Although I didn’t find him terrible, I had that experience with Lionel and then Graham. They are both smugs of the same type. I didn’t hate Lionel, but a lot of his dialogue for whatever reason came across and weirdly flirty and I did not like that, it made him seem kind of gross at times. But Graham always just seemed so sweet and innocent and loveably dorky to me. I know they had the same dialogue and same reactions to things, but the parts that stuck out to me and how they came across was totally different.

I had a really similar experience but in reverse! In my New Leaf town, I remember finding my first couple of Smugs off-putting because they always felt a little flirty. I ended up keeping Lionel for years because his RNG dialogue + his design made me feel like he was a fancy grandpa who used unnecessarily formal language rather than a college kid trying to be smooth.

That's actually hilarious omg. I've only had lazies talk about the bug roommates they have. I kinda wish I got the dialogue you did. It sounds amazing! Definitely gross though lol.

Back