• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Is my 3ds broken?

hemming1996

abels 😍
Bells
Orange Mote of Flame
Not sure if this is the right place to post but basically ive abandoned my 3ds for about 6 months and it was working fine but it's been stuffed in a closed box and I think it's broken. I tried turning it on using the power button but nothing comes up, no red light or anything and I believe I found the charger but I don't know if it is the right one but there's no light to show its charging either. I don't really understand how it would have broken if it was just in a box that would occasionally be emptied if I was trying to look for something, but it was never smashed on the floor or anything.

(I know it was stupid of me by the way but I lost complete interest in my 3DS and I just left it in that box incase I ever decided to play every once in a while)

If it's more than 6 months , then you should leave it charging completely ( 3 hours and a half ) before you start playing !

If it's more than 6 months , then you should leave it charging completely ( 3 hours and a half ) before you start playing !

Thank you. But I was just thinking it was a bit strange that the light showing its charging wasn't on? Again I'm not sure if the charger is the right one so maybe thats why.

If it fits , it's the right one !

It does fit, but it doesn't charge and iT comes out too easily. I remember the charger having to be placed in a certain way for it to charge properly but I've tried that too so that must just mean I need a new charger? The charger was also in a box and it might be broken too.

Is your charger broken by any chance?
My last charger only lasted a month and the cable was very loose on that one too. It would only charge by messing with the cable and putting it in a certain position. Quite infuriating....is something to try at least?
I doubt your ds would have broken, Nintendo make their consoles quite robust!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ah, sorry, only just seen your last comment (should read the whole thing)then I'm sure it's your charger in that case if it was already faulty before. Mine was the exact same thing

Odds are your 3DS isn't broken as such.

An obvious possibility is that the charger or its cable is broken. If you know anyone else with a 3DS, ask if you can try using theirs.

Another option is that the 3DS connector for charging has some dirt or something in it. Try wiggling the plug all around (not too forcefully) and using both the charging cradle and cable as they use different connectors.

Yet another option is, *drum roll, please* your 3DS is just broken. It could be something as simple as a loose ribbon cable or some dodgy solder, but no matter how small the issue, it's still not going to turn on. :/

Just thought of another issue which could be that your battery has dropped to a low voltage where it will act dead to avoid blowing up or something. I don't know, but these lithium batteries can be pretty deadly, lol. In that case you'll have to open up your 3DS with a fancy screwdriver (why can't Nintendo just use standard screws?) and sort it out, though I'd expect SOMETHING to happen if you plugged it in. If your 3DS battery looks like this, panic:

iphone-3gs-battery-balloon-450x284.jpg

Is your charger broken by any chance?
My last charger only lasted a month and the cable was very loose on that one too. It would only charge by messing with the cable and putting it in a certain position. Quite infuriating....is something to try at least?
I doubt your ds would have broken, Nintendo make their consoles quite robust!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ah, sorry, only just seen your last comment (should read the whole thing)then I'm sure it's your charger in that case if it was already faulty before. Mine was the exact same thing

Thanks I think I've come to the conclusion its just my charger.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Odds are your 3DS isn't broken as such.

An obvious possibility is that the charger or its cable is broken. If you know anyone else with a 3DS, ask if you can try using theirs.

Another option is that the 3DS connector for charging has some dirt or something in it. Try wiggling the plug all around (not too forcefully) and using both the charging cradle and cable as they use different connectors.

Yet another option is, *drum roll, please* your 3DS is just broken. It could be something as simple as a loose ribbon cable or some dodgy solder, but no matter how small the issue, it's still not going to turn on. :/

Just thought of another issue which could be that your battery has dropped to a low voltage where it will act dead to avoid blowing up or something. I don't know, but these lithium batteries can be pretty deadly, lol. In that case you'll have to open up your 3DS with a fancy screwdriver (why can't Nintendo just use standard screws?) and sort it out, though I'd expect SOMETHING to happen if you plugged it in. If your 3DS battery looks like this, panic:

iphone-3gs-battery-balloon-450x284.jpg

Thanks I believe it is just my charger now because I actually tried checking the battery thanks to my dad and it looks completely normal so I'm gonna have to go buy a new charger

Glad you've sorted it!! (Hopefully) :)
I always try to keep a spare....I don't know what it is with phone and ds chargers. Only seem to last a month or so when I have them

Back