• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Is anyone else disappointed by the 10-villager limit?

cheezu

Bells
Switch
0044-9828-4409
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Yes, I get that they want to reserve the spaces for additional players but the whole tactic of pushing the family dynamic by Nintendo is getting a bit annoying.
While I know that some people might be sharing their Switch with their children or significant other... are you really going to be playing with Grandma and Grandpa, too?
I guess I'm just a bit bitter because I have so many villagers that I'd like to have on my Island (especially now with their new improved designs) that I feel we should at least be given a choice - if we don't want to create additional players, we should be allowed to place more plots for villagers. I, for one, am the sole player on my Switch and the most I see myself doing in the distant future is creating an additional character to give their house some kind of a diner/restaurant theme... but that's about it.
Also, with the large amount of space we are given, I feel that with 10 villagers only about 1/4 of my island is actually inhabited.
Sorry for the rant. I'm not sure how good Nintendo are at actually listening and taking people's input into account (because don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE this game) but I wonder if there's at least some hope that they'll reconsider this in the future to go up to 12 villagers at the very least.

I do have an extra Switch and back in my NL days, I actually ran 2 towns just to get more villagers I loved - but the game started losing charm for me soon after as it was really hard to keep up with, so I don't want to fall into the same trap again.

What are your thoughts on this?
Am I the only one who feels a tad bit disappointed?

I think it depends on the way you set up your island too if that makes sense...
without terraforming or having inclines built I had problems finding space for my 9th villager and it felt like the island was pretty small for 10 but at the same time I can see it from your perspective if you can access all the points of your island comfortably.

I agree! I was hoping to have just one or two more especially since in the gamecube game the limit was 15... I share my switch with my brother and dad and might be creating one more secondary character for myself, so that's 3-4 human residents and I'm sure I could still fit one or two more villagers here. If space was gonna be an issue they could also have just made it so that after 10 villagers, any others have to come from mystery islands or deliberate adoptions from others so that if you feel like you don't have space for more, then you don't have to have more.

The island is only slightly larger than in NL, but this time maps have more cliffs and dynamic waterscapes. Especially with the emphasis on designing your island, there is a lot more opportunity to use space for super creative ideas. I already feel like I'm running out of space with only 8 villagers in my town.

I'm personally not bothered by it. If the map was bigger, I would definitely enjoy more villagers, but I don't think the current game allows for a larger population, at least logistically.

I think it depends on the way you set up your island too if that makes sense...
without terraforming or having inclines built I had problems finding space for my 9th villager and it felt like the island was pretty small for 10 but at the same time I can see it from your perspective if you can access all the points of your island comfortably.
I actually created a small community for my villagers so they're all off to one side of the island (Norma is just located to the south but I built a bridge there for easy access and Sherb lives on the beach.
But the whole left side of my Island just has fruit trees growing on it for the me being and all the elevated areas are completely empty right now. Granted, that I'm sure to be doing way more layout work, I still feel the limited number is unjustifiable.

I have terraforming and highly detailed layouts being arranged... and spent 2 days trying to figure out residential area for 8 villagers (2 will be in a diff area). And i still agree with you!
I wish we could have 12-15 villagers. I mean we can even plot them on beaches now if we want...

Ugh I want like 15. There are so many villagers I want! T ~ T

Same.
I just wonder if Nintendo would take this into account at all if people were to write to them or petition.
Not sure if it could be reworked into the coding either at this point.
Post automatically merged:

I have terraforming and highly detailed layouts being arranged... and spent 2 days trying to figure out residential area for 8 villagers (2 will be in a diff area). And i still agree with you!
I wish we could have 12-15 villagers. I mean we can even plot them on beaches now if we want...
Yes, exactly! My Sherb boy lives on the beach and his house aesthetic fits it so well.

I think 12 wouldve been a good cap especially since you can just choose to not buy plots if you want to have a smaller population.

However even with terraforming unlocked I am having issues finding spots for my 9th and 10th villagers. I'm sure once I get everything situated I can find spots easily but for now it's a bit difficult.

Me and my mom have been sharing towns since I was born basically, so I let her have a house on my island but that's about as far as human villagers go. I did have a really hard time trying to decide who I wanted my dreamies to be, since I'm on the same page as you and I want so many

Gamecube version had 15 villagers max. Now that I've had my hands on New Horizons for awhile I can see some of the flaws it has and this is definitely one of them along with villager dialogue as well :/ I really hope they get things right soon because we all waited to long for this game to settle for less lol

I think 12 wouldve been a good cap especially since you can just choose to not buy plots if you want to have a smaller population.

However even with terraforming unlocked I am having issues finding spots for my 9th and 10th villagers. I'm sure once I get everything situated I can find spots easily but for now it's a bit difficult.

That's an interesting perspective. I put down all the plots before unlocking terraforming and had no issues whatsoever, and have only really considered moving my house at this stage to be up the hills. But that's not going to happen any time soon. I've got too many loans to pay.

Yeah, as soon as I found out you could buy plots, I was a little disappointed that they limited it to 10. I only have 7 villagers on my island, but I don't see 3 more making it more lively than it is.

There were only 8 villagers in Wild World and since City Folk it's been 10 so nah. It seems like a reasonable amount imo, more than that and the repeat dialogue would get kind of annoying to me.

Gamecube version had 15 villagers max. Now that I've had my hands on New Horizons for awhile I can see some of the flaws it has and this is definitely one of them along with villager dialogue as well :/ I really hope they get things right soon because we all waited to long for this game to settle for less lol

I don't have problems with the dialogue as I feel it gets better as the game progresses.
It's not perfect but I wouldn't expect much more from computer AI with so many repeat personalities.
The number of villagers on the other hands is a bummer and has been stressing me out a bit.
I love the normal personality because I find the villagers so endearing but I'm worried to have a lack of balance in my town, which could make the game boring.

im definitely fine with the 10 villager limit. there are only 8 total personality types and if i were have to get to more than 2 duplicates, i would get annoyed and bored of a personality so fast.

its also so annoying having to move all my villagers' homes now, even though they were all in a good spot before terraforming. if i had more than 10 villager homes to move id die on the spot. even though i plan to keep all my villagers in a little neighborhood i still want to have lots of decorated spaces outside of that, and more than 10 villager homes would rly through a wrench in my plans. it's already a bit hard to talk to all my villagers everyday and write them a letter and give them a daily gift.

10 is an easy and comfortable number to work with. it's not too big or too small for the new features added to this game. it would only make more sense to allow more than 10 villagers on your island if they added way more new villagers, but since there was only like 6 i just don't see a point. even though everyone will most definitely not use 8 player characters, the fact that that's even an option is insane. sure it's a bit annoying how they made one island per switch and added 8 profiles to play the game with rather than more villagers, but for people who make cafes and libraries and shops with their extra players rather than have them as an actual character to play are literally thriving right now. bring on the cute witchy shops my decorating fiends.

i can understand why someone may want more than 10 villagers, but as someone who focuses more on island customization and decoration rather than just interacting with villagers and collecting things, this is a perfect number for island manipulation.

There were only 8 villagers in Wild World and since City Folk it's been 10 so nah. It seems like a reasonable amount imo, more than that and the repeat dialogue would get kind of annoying to me.
Which is why I said it would be nice if we had the choice since villagers can only move in now with plots anyway.

Which is why I said it would be nice if we had the choice since villagers can only move in now with plots anyway.
Yeah I totally get that. There are only 8 personality types though and with 10 villagers you still can't only have 1 of each personality type. I think it would be cool to have more than 10 villagers if there were more than 8 personality types.. but it would be overwhelming to have sm doubles in my island if there were 10+ villagers with the current 8 personality types. That's just me though, we're all entitled to our own opinions :)

im definitely fine with the 10 villager limit. there are only 8 total personality types and if i were have to get to more than 2 duplicates, i would get annoyed and bored of a personality so fast.

its also so annoying having to move all my villagers' homes now, even though they were all in a good spot before terraforming. if i had more than 10 villager homes to move id die on the spot. even though i plan to keep all my villagers in a little neighborhood i still want to have lots on having decorated spaces outside of that, and more than 10 villager homes would rly through a wrench in my plans. it's already a bit hard to talk to all my villagers everyday and write them a letter and give them a daily gift.

10 is an easy and comfortable number to work with. it's not too big or too small for the new features added to this game. it would only make more sense to allow more than 10 villagers on your island if they added way more new villagers, but since there was only like 6 i just don't see a point. even though everyone will most definitely not use 8 player characters, the fact that that's even an option is insane. sure it's a bit annoying how they made one island per switch and added 8 profiles to play the game with rather than more villagers, but for people who make cafes and libraries and shops with their extra players rather than have them as an actual character to play are literally thriving right now. bring on the cute witchy shops my decorating fiends.

i can understand why someone may want more than 10 villagers, but as someone who focuses more on island customization and decoration rather than just interacting with villagers and collecting things, this is a perfect number for island manipulation.

Yes, of course, everyone is bound to have their own perspective on the matter.
While I love decorating, villagers are just such an important part to the game for me.
I find the 8 characters completely unnecessary.
The only way I could understand the 10 villager cap is if we were able to build actual buildings such as schools/libraries/restaurants (a al Happy Home Designer) but that doesn't seem to be the case... at least not yet.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah I totally get that. There are only 8 personality types though and with 10 villagers you still can't only have 1 of each personality type. I think it would be cool to have more than 10 villagers if there were more than 8 personality types.. but it would be overwhelming to have sm doubles in my island if there were 10+ villagers with the current 8 personality types. That's just me though, we're all entitled to our own opinions :)
Yes, I suppose I'm a bit biased because I have a sentimental connection to some of the oldies but are also starting to like others a lot more that I've encountered them on tours.

Back