• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

I'm beginning to think I won't enjoy Mario Maker 2

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I never played the original Mario Maker and I was so excited to eventually get Mario Maker 2 because it reminds me of Little Big Planet, just Mario style. I wanted to make my own levels and play other people's creations. However, I am not really a big Mario fan. I really like the 3D games like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart as well, but that's really my only experiences with the series. And while watching some Let's Plays of the original Mario Maker, I realised I didn't even know any of the deeper mechanics... My boyfriend had to explain to me how certain things worked and as I looked at the levels, with all the crazy things going on screen, I couldn't put 2 and 2 together because I didn't understand how the levels worked. Sure I know that 1 up mushrooms give a life, and mushrooms make you bigger, and other very basic things. But I don't know enough to be able to create interesting and thoughtful levels, and I wouldn't be able to play through other's because I wouldn't be able to think outside the box in a game where I don't even understand what's INSIDE the box, if you know what I mean. People get really clever and I'm just not a clever person in regards to Mario, especially 2D Mario.. So how will I enjoy the game..?

With Little Big Planet, I was too stupid to actually create my own levels, but I thought it was pretty easy to get a hang of things and play other people's levels since the story mode did a really good job of showing you how everything in the game worked.

Do you think you need to understand Mario games and the mechanics really well to enjoy playing/making levels?

I'd personally enjoy making levels to just see what each item does. I'd play around with each item to see what it all does. Try not to focus on making a "good" stage.

The first game had a pretty good tutorial. It's also extremely easy to make a level in it. You wouldn't need to know anything about 2D Mario games to make a level.

You're probably watching videos of some of the crazy Mario Maker levels that are intentionally made with all kinds of stuff to be hard. There's people out there that purposely build hard levels because they want to challenge themselves. Not all levels are that way, nor are you expected to make levels that way.

Here's the most basic Mario level. It's the very first level from Super Mario Bros. Is anything in this confusing to you? The basics of Mario levels is that you need to get to the goal. In this video, that means going all the way to the right and touching the flag. That's it. Along the way you have to avoid getting hit by enemies. The star, flower, and mushrooms you see the person playing get are just power-ups that can help you get to the end. They are not mandatory to get.

The video I linked is not a video FROM Mario Maker, but it is a level you can make in Mario Maker if you wanted to. It will just give you a feel of what 2D Mario is like. 2D Mario is actually way less complicated than 3D Mario games in general, so since you played a few of those, you should be fine.

The first game had a pretty good tutorial. It's also extremely easy to make a level in it. You wouldn't need to know anything about 2D Mario games to make a level.

You're probably watching videos of some of the crazy Mario Maker levels that are intentionally made with all kinds of stuff to be hard. There's people out there that purposely build hard levels because they want to challenge themselves. Not all levels are that way, nor are you expected to make levels that way.

Here's the most basic Mario level. It's the very first level from Super Mario Bros. Is anything in this confusing to you? The basics of Mario levels is that you need to get to the goal. In this video, that means going all the way to the right and touching the flag. That's it. Along the way you have to avoid getting hit by enemies. The star, flower, and mushrooms you see the person playing get are just power-ups that can help you get to the end. They are not mandatory to get.

The video I linked is not a video FROM Mario Maker, but it is a level you can make in Mario Maker if you wanted to. It will just give you a feel of what 2D Mario is like. 2D Mario is actually way less complicated than 3D Mario games in general, so since you played a few of those, you should be fine.

I suppose all that is true. I should be able to make a very simple level. But I see the amazing levels people make and I know I won't be able to make something so complex and it's overwhelming and discouraging. I suppose I need to actually try to game to really see and not just give up. But I want to make levels that people actually enjoy and find unique and creative. It seems like the complex ones are the ones that people actually want to play.

tbh luv i feel the exact same way omg ������ a never really liked the first mario maker and the second one is just a bit complicated innit?? like my combined 2 brain cells in my walnut brain just wont be able to fathem those controls ������ literally gonna leave me shaking......

Back