• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

I loved the direct but......

I like that the holidays are a slow roll out, except, I do have a concern. If they are loaded into the game and then stay it's fine. If they are loaded into the game and then are pulled with the next update like app game holidays then when they stop taking care of the game they will go the way of the splatfest. I'm not going to worry about it too much until we know more though.

I want this game to be finished. There shouldn't be a need for updates for things like seasonal events. It's not Fortnite.

Lots of people have said the reason for why they are doing updates for holidays-- to stop people from TTing immediately to the events and to allow different items, etc given each year. The game is finished.

Last edited:
Eh. It’s fine. It’s not like all the holidays are the day we play. What does it matter if they are already in the game waiting for us or if they are out there a couple days before the holiday?

well, if you live somewhere where you don't have internet access ... good luck :(
Nintendo wants us to play the way they want, that's not normal for me. I am free to do whatever I want with my game, I have paid for the game, let me play my own way. I was so frustrated because of the missing event/characters in the cartridge.
I don't understand Nintendo anymore...

i think theres more perks to making holidays DLC that yall aren't thinking about. a BIG one is that they are now optional. there are many people that may be uncomfortable playing certain holidays that might not apply to their religious beliefs or otherwise don't want to celebrate them, or aren't interested in holidays interfering with general gameplay and want to play without the events. not to mention this opens the door for more accessibility and a wider variety of holidays--maybe there could finally be Hanukkah, for example, if it was optional! many parts of the world don't celebrate conventional holidays. i've already seen multiple people say they'll likely not install holidays for a holiday-less playthrough bc they felt intrusive in gameplay. yes it's likely also to dissuade TTers but there are perks to this. it isn't necessarily all negative :)

We're starting from nothing this time, so it makes sense that some characters/shops/whatever wildly be available right away. I'm not worried.

Last edited:
Honestly, the one think that I don't see mentioned is another idea of how they're going to try and expand the life cycle of the game. Having pyratical updates will continue to bring people back.

And maybe it means the holidays will have a little bit more work done on them.

Now that you mention it I see and understand what you mean. I guess if you time travel to the date nothing will happen until nintendo mentions the free update and the character will appear but who even time travels just to do an event like halloween and christmas beforehand?

They probably focused on fleshing out the core gameplay and decided to focus on holidays later. They?re coming and they?re free so don?t worry.

I'm pretty sure their intentions were to show us what's to come without showing us every little aspect of the game yet. So I'm sure we'll see all of the characters in the future! Also, they did nerf the time-traveling in the game, so it seems we won't be able to do that anymore, which it seems they've manage to balance by adding lots of stuff to do in game so we won't feel the need to rush and time travel. I enjoyed seeing it!

Only thing I'm still worried about is the saving of my game file. And I am a bit bummed about not being able to have more than 1 island without another switch :/
But it seems the game is packed with a lot to do, so I'm super excited!!

I think they simply aren't ready yet. No seasonal events definitely won't stop me from time traveling. I expect everyone will be able to download the free updates but obvs you can't play a Halloween event if you TTed past Halloween already and you'll have to wait until the next year.

Last edited:
They are trying to maintain full control of the product and preventing time traveling and cheating is how they see it.

They are trying to maintain full control of the product and preventing time traveling and cheating is how they see it.

A little disappointing if this is really some sort of attempt of restriction. That's a little too invasive. People should be able to play the game how they wish.

I don't think this is it. I think that it is rather they are going to wait until the time for that holiday to come in order to release it so that people don't go to those holidays and spoil them or sell the products at marked up prices to those who won't time travel. It's a good way to make sure that the first year of events are revealed to everyone at the same time. I am sure that after a year, the holidays will be normal.

Honestly I got the impression that it's because each event/holiday will have different items from year to year? Which would be great, because the same furniture items for each event got really boring; after a while you don't bother participating.

IMO it's not about time traveling at all, just a logical way to keep the game fresh. Basically, think Welcome Amiibo style updates -- new items, new features, new villagers -- but you can just download them instead of buying a new copy of the game. It's just an advantage modern games have.

Honestly I got the impression that it's because each event/holiday will have different items from year to year? Which would be great, because the same furniture items for each event got really boring; after a while you don't bother participating.

IMO it's not about time traveling at all, just a logical way to keep the game fresh. Basically, think Welcome Amiibo style updates -- new items, new features, new villagers -- but you can just download them instead of buying a new copy of the game. It's just an advantage modern games have.

If they changed them up so it wasnt the same all the time that would be pretty cool.

I have slow wifi so I hope these updates don't take too long on holidays!

KK Slider will be in the game at launch. That section was about amiibo support, showing that special NPC outfit cards (such as DJ KK) will not be supported at launch. It shouldn’t be taken to mean that KK Slider will not be in the game at launch. Two completely different ideas.

Updates will be free and are likely spaced out to allow more development time (why program Christmas now when you can do it later and finish immediate features now?). As evidenced by the Easter update, these updates will be given out a while in advance, not on the day of the event.

Okay I don't think we get an event on the holiday day but way before. Like we get the bunny day update on release date. So I think you could TT to eastern if you want? Don't think anyone will miss anything :)

To all you guys saying curbing TTing will help the economy, it kind of also actually will not. Shopkeepers won't bother as much to restock their shops because they can't time travel. All the stuff you've bought on TBT from shops, most likely 70% of that is from time traveling. Otherwise it'd take days for them to order the catalog furniture from nook and shipped to their house to trade with you, and the amiibo stuff would be insane (you'd have to only help 1 customer a day)

Just something to think about :)

Last edited:
Back