• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I just don't remember Crash Bandicoot being that hard…

PacV

Vasea Mayor, Zenda Islander and Borelia Villager.
Bells
I just recently bought Crash n sane Trilogy. It's been a while since i play Crash Bandicoot but i don't remember the leves being that hard. Don't get me wrong please, i'm enjoying the challenge and the game itself, but there are some really frustrating levels.

Example: The bridge one. I have to go to Youtube and see how does people do it. I learn that you could go through the rope. I did that and still took me several tries. xD

Perhaps related, but I've found that games made by Toys for Bob have some slightly strange physics in them that, where remakes are concerned, aren't present in the original (for better or for worse). That could be why some levels are frustrating.

That, or they decided to make some levels more difficult for whatever reason. I've heard Crash 4 received some complaints about difficulty (I don't own it, so I can't confirm), so maybe T4B wanted harder platforming games?

I think I figured out why you're having so much trouble.
h1B6841FF

I just recently bought Crash n sane Trilogy. It's been a while since i play Crash Bandicoot but i don't remember the leves being that hard. Don't get me wrong please, i'm enjoying the challenge and the game itself, but there are some really frustrating levels.

Example: The bridge one. I have to go to Youtube and see how does people do it. I learn that you could go through the rope. I did that and still took me several tries. xD
When they remastered/ported the game, they didn't account for for certain things. I read up about this when it first came out, so forgive me for not digging into it and giving you the technical words. Basically one of the things is that after a jump Crash will slide forward as if on ice, which wasn't a thing in the original games. It's a glitch that they didn't account for and never fixed it. Crash 1 has it the worst apparently and it's not as noticeable as 2 and 3, but most start on 1 and come to the realization that it seems harder than it was before.

That bridge level was a pain. I played it at my cousins. A lot of levels consist of jumping and various gaps/ledges with little wiggle room. So a collision box that makes Crash slip more often is bound to make it harder.

The bridge levels were a pain on the original Crash game, but they are even harder in the N Sane Trilogy.

I had the exact same thought. I’m usually pretty good at 3D platformers, but Crash 1 is so blasted hard. Both Crash’s physics and the poorly placed camera make jumping an absolute pain. The vast majority of my deaths were from incorrectly judging the jumps. Crash 1 is also not the best at telegraphing new mechanics. The bridge level you mentioned is a perfect example. You have to die a bunch of times just to realize which planks are safe to land on.

I’ve heard the sequels are better, so I’m tempted to just skip this one and play those.

I bought the trilogy for ps4 a long time ago, and the original crash is just as hard as I remember it being. I am actually stuck in the same spot as I was when I was a tiny kid lol. It was the level with riding the boar, the second one. I would always die close to the end of the level... like the end was in sight on death lol.

I think I may have dabbled in the 2nd crash a bit, but the main reason why I bought the game was for warped. I actually owned that game as a kid and finished more than once. I just really liked it and found the levels fun.

I know I’m late but let me clear this up about N Sane- the change is less to physics and more to Crash’s hitbox. There’s an infamous gif from Ding Dong showing how it causes him to slide off the turtles in the bridge level if you just keep jumping on the same one. There are momentum and jump arc changes, but I think the pill-shaped hitbox as opposed to the original flatter one caused more issues. If you ask me the jumps in chase levels on 2 suck more. It’s not because they’re hard but they’re so specific for no reason.

Also Toys For Bob didn’t make N. Sane Trilogy. Vicarious Visions did. Beenox made the CTR remake, TFB made Crash 4 and the Spyro remake.

I don’t actually find any of the original trilogy that hard. Ps1 or remake. Some of the time trials are I suppose but that’s about it. Crash 4 is a different story, hard game. I think people just aren’t very good with 3D platforming because so much of the genre has mellow design honestly. Is it wrong to feel that way?

Back