• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How to NOW corrupt your save data?

KingKyle

Kyle2000
Bells
Mailbox
Small Mailbox
So I saw this video on YouTube that showed someone's data corrupted. Now I'm worried, I think MY data is going to corrupt! How can I not corrupt my data?

There's not much you can do to prevent your data from corrupting, but the possibility of it happening is so slim anyways so it doesn't really matter.

I'd say don't power off in the middle of saving, I've heard that's a way to get corrupted. Someone on here got corrupted data by trying to use their PowerSave on a different cart, so be careful with cheating or hacking.

Like Leopardfire said - you're pretty much never going to corrupt your save file provided that you don't cheat, save properly, and keep your cartridge/DS away from physical harm.

Mine corrupted because of me turning off the power during saving. So, dont do that.

From what I know, it is more common with a digital one than a physical one

Power, removing SD card, duping, and Power Saves are all ways that can corrupt data (though no matter how hard I try, I can't corrupt my data)

Basically anything the developers couldn't prepare for have the possibilty of corrupting your savefile - removing game carts, SD cards, messing with the files it has saved (RAM editing, power saving, and other invasive actions). Also turning off while saving. Don't ever do that.

Basically, play normally and it shouldn't corrupt unless you have really, really bad luck.

High Risk:

-Powering off during saving: Don't ever do this are you nuts? Listen to the little speech bubble please
-Damaging the 3DS and/or SD card: Treat your electronics like your babies, always. SD cards especially are fragile
-Not using a supported SD card: Nintendo warns against using untested SD cards. While some may be good, others may not be compatible and cause issues. Be sure to use a compatible SD card (I personally recommend SanDisk)
-Damaging your game cart: Self-explanitory
-Screwing with 3DS files: Leave the files in your 3DS alone. Don't mess with them. You can very well cause damage.

Low Risk:

Duping: I actually don't think duping causes any sort of corruption, but stories say otherwise. Given the nature of how it's generally done, I would assume your town would be safe, but nonetheless things like duping and such are done at your own risk.
Powersaves: So long as you don't try transferring them between carts, powersaves shouldn't really result in corruption. However, once again, I've heard stories, so also remember this is done at your own risk.
Ram-Editing/General Hacking: Not experienced with this, but I would assume there is potential to corrupt a file if you're not careful with what you're doing.
Data Transfer to a new 3DS: This one I actually am generally confused about, but some people have reported losing their New Leaf data during the data transfer from their old 3DS. All I can say is ensure you have a good connection, an SD card large enough to handle a full transfer, and ensure no New Leaf data exists on the new device (either from playing your cart on it prior to the transfer or other happenings).
Plot-Resetting: I personally do not believe this causes corruption, but so many people claim it does that I guess I have zero choice but to list it. I've plot reset -hundreds- of times and have had no corruption. People who have never plot reset have been corrupted. I honestly don't know with this one.

Rumors: Take these with a grain of salt

Using the default SD card Nintendo ships with the 3DS: I actually think this may ring true and I've seen various people saying the same. Given that I've played this game for 3 years with no issue, and that many people tend to switch out their SD cards (especially on the old 3DS), it doesn't surprise me that data corruption tends to be rare and inconsistent. Once again, I totally endorse SanDisk. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to ship faulty cards.
Leaving the Digital Copy on too long: This is a weird one that I picked up on Youtube, so I don't exactly believe it, but I find it worth mentioning. The person mentioned leaving multiple copies running endlessly, both physical and digital copies. He claims Digital copies tended to corrupt if left running for over 48hrs without a break in between (roughly 10hrs). The physical copies apparently could last a week. Once again, this one's odd and I've only ever seen a single mention of this, so take it with a grain. Still, given how New Leaf switches days at 6AM and such, maybe er on the side of safety and don't leave your game running for days on end. Couldn't hurt -shrug-
Staying on the island past 6AM: Another weird one, but one or two stories have floated around about data corrupting after being on the island when the 6AM turn comes about. Seems odd, since you're never barred from going to the island and it wouldn't make sense for the game to freak out over that.
Having a Digital Copy. Period: Untrue. I've always had a digital copy and have zero problems, and honestly most of the stories I've read involve corruption on the PHYSICAL copy! I believe corruption risk runs the same in digital vs. physical *MAYBE a tad higher on digital but I doubt it's astronomical*

Things you can do if/when you are corrupted:

Call Nintendo: In the case of having a digital copy and multiple corruptions, I've heard of Nintendo sending a cart to the affected user(s). As for physical copies, they might send another -shrug- But if you find yourself corrupted more than once, you may want to contact Nintendo, as something may be amiss.
Replace your SD card/3DS: If either is damaged, maybe it's time to fix your stuff. Obviously it'd be easier to replace the SD card, but if something breaks in your 3DS (i.e the slot is damaged) you may find yourself having issues.
Use a backed-up copy of the data: Some people regularly back up their files in order to protect themselves in the event of either corruption or other matters. When using backed up data, I believe you need to make sure data no longer exists on your system (I may be wrong, feel free to correct me). Ensure you're using your backup on its native copy of the game.
Smile and keep playing: Some people who have faced corruption learn to live with it and restart their towns. Remember, the Bell Tree is full of generous people who are often willing to help their fellow forum-goers get back on their feet. There's no shame in starting over~

All in all, really, corruption is a lot rarer than it seems. Chances are you're never going to face it, but it's never bad to be educated on the matter and ensure you take good care of your game and system. Doing stupid things will lead to bad consequences, so don't do them, mmkay?

I'm sure I've missed things on this list. I'm no expert. This is just information I've gathered from general interest, forums, youtube, and general common sense. In most cases, so long as you respect your property, it'll respect you back~

Best of luck!

Back