• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

How has this happened...

Midoriya

Flowers always bloom~
Bells
Switch
1119-7626-0996
Island
Sumeru
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
So back in the early part of this year I was one of the many people who was complaining that HHD and AF were spin-off games and that Nintendo sucks, and that AC Wii U should have came first....

Well irony has it that I got Happy Home Designer a day after release and have been having so much fun and playing it a ton ever since! I then realized today that I have more hours logged into Happy Home Designer now than in all of my various times playing New Leaf in the two years I've had it.....

If you've played New Leaf and the games before it, I urge you to get this game. If you have never even played Animal Crossing games before, I urge you to get it. I have no idea how the heck I got by before without playing this game... It is most definitely worth the 40 bucks it cost me (IMO)

Has anyone else here had this happen to them as well?? Comment away, fellow Animal Crossing fans~ :)

Last edited:
I thought HHD would have very little and that it would get boring. Then during E3 I was like, I CHANGE MY MIND.

People are just quick to judge.

Yeah! I wasn't sure I was going to like it, and figured the game would only be a short distraction from my New Leaf town but I'm obsessed with it. I thought it would be a spin off with not very much to do, but there's sooo much to do!

If only I could get my hands on some amiibo cards! They're impossible to find D:

I adore it and was excited from the get-go. It's great to hear that you're enjoying it so much (that, really, is the most important thing, beyond your opinion having changed!). Be sure to share pix of what you've designed, if you're feeling up for it! It's always a pleasure to see and/or visit others' designs and see what they came up with. Wishing you many more hours of fun!

Haha, I don't think I can get anywhere near my play I've had on ACNL, because I put A LOT into those and I've had 3 towns soooo... but I definitely have been playing this A LOT and it was way better than I ever expected! I am so glad I convinced myself to get it, and that was only after seeing someone play it on youtube, then I knew it was better than I had hoped, but I've always been a huge designer, like I love designing houses in Sims and forgo playing much of the actual game...

Yeah! I wasn't sure I was going to like it, and figured the game would only be a short distraction from my New Leaf town but I'm obsessed with it. I thought it would be a spin off with not very much to do, but there's sooo much to do!

If only I could get my hands on some amiibo cards! They're impossible to find D:

^ I finally got money in my bank and wanted to order some cards online from gamestop but they are all out,.. even in stores :'(

although I have been playing HHD less because of a busy week T___T

If you are in the US then I've read that there is a restock of cards on Oct 10th - don't know where or if its across the board, but other posters will know more.
I'm in the UK - there are cards around a plenty but there is 3 in a pack rather than 6, and the cheapest price for a pack is ?3.49.

I too have been pleasantly surprised by the game, tho always planned to get it.
Part of the charm is that most of the characters are so familiar as I've played ac games for years.
I can spend 30mins totally absorbed in designing a room.
So long as I pace it, I doubt I'll get bored.
The designing bug will hit every so often, so can see me playing this, off & on, until a new ac game is launched (2017 maybe?)
Nintendo's monthly challenges is something to keep the interest going.

When I first found out about it, I didn't really care about it. Then I saw actual gameplay and now I'm hoping to get it for Christmas or my birthday.

A similar thing happened with Splatoon - at first I didn't care, then I found out more about it and became slightly interested. Then the Testfire came and now that's another game I want!

Now I'm worried about the same thing happening with Amiibo Festival... XD

I thought it sounded pretty ridiculous when it first came out, but I ended up preordering it a couple of weeks before the release. I do love it, but nowhere near as much as I love New Leaf. I also think it's a bit overpriced but that's another issue. I haven't been playing either game as much though because I keep thinking about school and that just kinda dampens the fun of it :(

It's pretty cool when you design the school and then see the various villagers sitting in the desk chairs. I never loved designing my house that much, so this doesn't take the place of a proper sequel, but I am excited by the idea of some of this stuff carrying over to the next game. Just being able to squeeze through tight furniture placement is pretty neat, and I like the flexibility to place stuff in various ways on tabletops.

I love being able to make so many of my own designs. Hopefully that will carry over to the next AC game. I am thrilled with placing items outside, placing different sized throw rugs over carpet, placing items on furniture that we never could before, like the kitchen island. Someone was listening. :)

Love reading all your responses! You're right, it seems Nintendo has been listening to us with some of the stuff they've added to the franchise in this game, and let's hope it carries on over to the next games in the franchise. :)

HHD piqued my interest but I wasn't hyped for it like I was for New Leaf. I could not stop thinking about New Leaf for about a year until its North American release.

I'll be honest, I really do like HHD. I just wish that we could have an AC game where you play it normally but your character can decorate public facilities like in this game and the town was huge and with different biomes like this game. I also love the decorating in this game; much better than dragging furniture around, and we get ceiling items, carpets, etc. Not to mention a yard, something AC should have had since City Folk! Perhaps that's what the next AC game will be like?

For a while there I thought it was dependent on Amiibo cards, and that was a huge hang-up for me, because I straight-up think that they're a waste of money. Once I found out that it wasn't dependent on them at all, I started to see it more clearly and got excited. Once I saw they added a trumpet and a saxophone I was 10000% sold. xD

People just assumed that it would have a lot of what NL had, and they were disappointed so they decided they didn't like it, but it's a spin-off so of course its not going to be like a main series game. :p

This is why I avoid judging a game too soon before I've played it, at least negatively. I try giving things a chance, especially if they look like they'll offer things not available before (like many of the features and items in HHD, for example). It was weird to see people so ready to hate on this thing just because it wasn't the standard AC game. This game has so much to offer it's kind of nuts.

Back