How do you sleep?

How do you sleep.

• I need complete silence to sleep.

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • I need the fan on no matter how hot or cold, there needs to be something in the background.

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • I listen to calming, sleep music and sounds.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • I leave the television on.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 14 14.7%

• Total voters
I initially said silence but honestly, I can fall asleep to anything. I've lived downtown before and slept through traffic jams, ambulances and homeless people yelling. Now that I'm back in the suburbs, I can sleep through dogs barking, firecrackers, loud neighbors, etc.

I think stark silence would disturb me a bit, like I need a bit of sound so that it doesn't feel like I'm in a vacuum. I like the sounds of crickets chirping or owls hooting. It just really soothes me.

Sometimes I wish I was a bit less sensitive to sound. I can’t fall asleep with the fan on, but other outside noises don’t bother me so much. I’ve had to fall asleep with garbage truck noises outside before, but typically I doze off before they even happen.

i usuaslly put a twitch stream on before i go to sleep but i have my tv on silent soooo i just like the lighting i guess

I usually stay up really late to watch TV or use my phone, but lately i’ve been falling asleep before i can turn them off. I always tell myself i’ll stay awake to do it, but no matter how hard i try it keeps happening 😂

I generally need silence I can deal with fans and things like that. But not tv or music. I used to be the opposite, I used to need the sounds of tv/videos, or music to sleep

I voted for complete silence, usually all lights out and complete darkness. That is not 100% true because I’ve been known to fall asleep on the couch while watching TV. Lots of times after work I’ll just sit there and easily fall asleep!

i’ve never been able to sleep in complete silence; it makes me antsy and causes me to overthink more than usual :(. i used to sleep with a tv show/movie playing in the background, but now i’ll just go to sleep to the sound of my fan. can’t sleep without that being on, either lol.

i bought an eye mask a few months ago that i really like (its a fuzzy luna mask with little cat ears). i didnt wear eye masks before really, but it helps me stay asleep as the sun comes up. i wake up a lot in the night to go to the bathroom so without the mask, sometimes its hard to go back to sleep. i also have a fan running for air circulation and i like to have a sheet and blanket. i need just a little bit of weight on my legs so even when its hot ill just have the sheet over me and a blanket at the end of the bed. idk y but i cant sleep with just a sheet. in the winter i use a weighted blanket, and it is amazing. i highly recommend weighted blankets, just do some research so you dont get one that is too heavy. sometimes i can sleep through anything and even fall asleep on the couch but other times i have some trouble. having the fan helps drown out the loud party music that occasionally plays throughout the night. i also need a very soft shirt and underwear or else i have trouble sleeping. i like to lay the sheets and blankets and my shirt as flat as possible with no wrinkles since i think it is most comfortable. growing up i preferred to sleep without clothes, but having a soft t shirt helps keep my shoulders warm so i dont need to pull the blanket and sheet up so high. if i end up sleeping all the way underneath the blanket im likely to wake up very sweaty and gross. i mentioned sometimes being able to fall asleep through noise and light, but i prefer it dark as possible with a fan or white noise to block out spooky house creeks. i try to stretch or use the electric massager before going to sleep so that i can sleep more comfortably. lastly i keep chapstick on the floor by my side of the bed and water on my desk since i cant sleep with dry lips and get a little thirsty when i wake up to use the bathroom.

Just here to back up the weighted blanket praise from the user above me. Seriously. If you haven't gotten one, do it. It. Is. Lifechanging.

I cannot stress how much better I sleep with mine. It feels like being wrapped in a warm burrito all night.

To answer the thread question though, fan in the summer, silence in the winter.

I can sleep with a fan or a radio at low volume if I have to but anything too repetitive (like a clock ticking) is a huge NO.

I'm a pretty heavy sleeper majority of the time. But if there's a single, small light that is visible (or any other bright light) i won't be able to sleep. at all. I'll usually fall asleep somewhat fast, but don't get me wrong, I have days where I can't fall asleep easily.
I also need silence. A fan in the background is fine, and so is snoring, but if it's people chit-chatting away in the other room I won't sleep properly. But I hate ambiance sounds as well. Won't be able to fall asleep if i'm listening to "relaxing ocean noises" or something.

I usually need complete silence to get a good nights sleep, most of the time if there is a noise somewhere I spend too long concentrating on that rather then actually sleeping. Though even with no noise around sometimes I still find I can’t drift off and will lie awake for ages.

I can never seem to sleep though if it’s too hot, especially during the summer, so I have to turn my fan on and try and deal with the noise, eventually I fall asleep but it always takes longer then I would’ve liked.

I fall sleep best if there’s complete darkness and the fan on, but I can honestly fall asleep under a lot of conditions. I used to share a room with my grandma and she would always leave the TV on and snore super loud. For a long time having background noise like that comforted me, but now I prefer silence. I don’t really count the fan sound as disruptive noise.

I’ve had to sleep with the air conditioner on a few times. It takes me a while, but it’s not impossible. I just have to try my best to block out the noise.

I've grown accustomed to sleeping with a fan on, but faced away from me. The sound just hums out my thoughts.

As kid I had to have the ticking of a clock in my room, or I wouldn't be able to sleep.
Nowadays I need it completely silent, or I will get really annoyed. My fiancé makes fun of me, because sometimes I would hear a phone charger buzzing very very very silently, but I would still be able to hear it, get up and unplug it, lol.
Also I used to not be able to sleep without a rather strong source of light. Then it switched to me needing it completely dark and nowadays
I can sleep with some light around me, as long as it's not the screen of my fiancés phone. I can absolutely not stand the random lightsource out the bed like this. It makes me extremelly mad >->

i cant remember the last time i fell asleep to silence, it's prob been years, i usually fall asleep to twitch streams or commentary videos on youtube!! something not too relaxing like asmr (or my mind wonders too much) but not that exciting either

I need complete silence and some sort of blankets/comforter. I’m still scared of the dark so I require a dim lamp to be on because I’m a big baby.

I know this is weird but I literally cannot sleep with a shirt on, it makes me uncomfortable. 😔

Back