How do you sleep?

How do you sleep.

• I need complete silence to sleep.

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • I need the fan on no matter how hot or cold, there needs to be something in the background.

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • I listen to calming, sleep music and sounds.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • I leave the television on.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 14 14.7%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
Do you sleep with the fan on in the background, or do you need complete silence? I’ve heard some people say they can’t sleep without the fan being on, no matter how cold it is.

I’m the opposite. I need complete silence to sleep, or at least not too much going on the background. The fan buzzing is just too much. When I have the air conditioner on, I also have calming sleep music on in the background to shut out the other noise. Normally though, I’ll just run the air conditioner to get it cool enough before sleeping.

I do love the heat, but not when I’m trying to sleep. I actually hate the cold and snow. I couldn’t live anywhere long term where it snows.

I sleep best in silence. How about you?

As a kid I slept with the television on, and growing up I usually 'fall asleep', meaning I have to tire myself out. I hate having to sleep in silence because otherwise my mind drifts into thoughts and sometimes I feel so unsettled, so being distracted helps me feel more comfortable.

I ranted about this in The Basement but my family and roommates know how I sleep, most of the time I have my laptop/ipad on me or beside me and they have to be the ones packing my stuff and removing my glasses because my way of sleeping is 'falling asleep'. The only time I ever get to sleep in silence is the night before an exam, but that's just because I was already tired to begin with and I know I'd fall asleep right away.

I like sleeping with a fan on or some other gadget that makes some sort of humming sound. I just find it relaxing. I also like to sleep with dim light instead of no light or full light. And, I tend to sleep sitting in a chair. I'm a weird one.
Oh, and no matter how hot it is, I must have a blanket.

I always have the fan on and usually a sound machine because I'm a light sleeper so when it's silent and anything makes a noise I wake up and with the sound machine it drains out other noises so I don't wake up as frequently.

I need silence to actually fall asleep otherwise I'll end up tossing and turning until I'm so exhausted that I'll fall asleep regardless of outside noise etc. My bedroom is also at the front of my property so I hear everything if I have the window open which in itself is rare unless it's summer and the country is in the midst of a heatwave.

I like the hum of the air filter in my son's room, but in my own room at the back of the house, I can hear wildlife. Sometimes there's a coyote or a pack of something that howls-- which is a rude awakening for sure. I don't actually like sharing my bed or hearing another person breathe or snore, but every morning I am guaranteed to find 1-3 other people snoozing around me. 😅

Varies night to night. Some nights I'll need the TV on to doze off and others every little sound irritates me. I dislike the noise of the fan but without it the room will be so hot by morning that I'll wake-up nauseated.

When it comes to noise, I don't need anything to fall asleep. I can fall asleep in complete silence or with background noise. I always turn everything off before bed, but my husband doesn't come to bed until several hours later so I can usually still hear him listening to music or playing a game in the other room. As long as I'm tired enough to sleep and it's not some excessively loud or annoying noise, it won't keep me awake.

I definitely never leave a fan on, though, because I hate being cold. I have central air\heat that keeps the temperature comfortable enough for me.

I can't sleep without something playing in the back ground, or light in general. If I sleep in complete darkness, with no sound... well chances are I won't be sleeping

I usually have my tablet, and have it playing something soothing, with soothing pics (Or this 10 hour mudkip video) then I can sleep

But I also prefer my door to be closed, and sleep with at least three blankets, because I get cold suuper easily

Has to be complete silence and peaceful 🥺 don’t sleep well tbh as I have what has been affectionately called bat ears so find it hard and wake up at the slightest sound 🥲

I looked at the thread title and expected something a lot more philosophical.

In any case, it varies for me. Depending on where it is I'm sleeping, I either need complete silence, or some kind of white noise to drown out other noises.

I have a white noise machine and an air purifier on at night. Then of course an air conditioner. I’m used to having a TV on while I sleep as well, but I currently don’t have a TV since my relocation. For more than 10 years, I lived in a house near an airport so I got accustomed to the sound of planes flying overhead. (,: I would forget that people’s tolerance for such noise wasn’t like mine if they’d stay over at my house. I find it unsettling to sleep in complete silence.

I used to be able to go to sleep in complete silence, but as I got older and started sleeping with an AC window shaker in my room, I got accustomed to the noise it made and having that in the backround. Now it's really hard for me to go to sleep in complete silence unless I HAVE to, like the power being out. I have to have the AC on making noise so I can fall asleep. Or if I'm at a hotel then a fan with plastic strips taped on so it makes a little more noise.

I'm pretty flexible, I can sleep in silence or with some noise. I personally prefer fan noise or calm ambient sounds. I don't really like to listen to actual music or TV noise if I have a choice, but if I was sharing a room with someone who wanted those sounds then I could tolerate it.

I’m ok with noise unless it’s something I end up being irritated with and then I can’t focus on sleep. I mostly just need my routine to fall asleep and I like to have some weight on me, so if the blanket is too light weight I don’t like it. I used to be very picky about what I wear to bed, I couldn’t be wearing pants or socks, but lately I’m so tired that it doesn’t matter anymore. It’s staying asleep that’s usually the problem, if you look at the battery usage in the morning you can see how many times throughout the night I’ve woken up and checked the time on my phone. I usually get so tired that I sleep in too late on my day off and then I can’t sleep that night so the extra sleep I get is usually for nothing.

I use a white noise machine; I do not find it calming at all (the sound I use). I am a light sleeper and need something to block out my dad’s snoring and sounds like cars and firecrackers (since people shoot them at 4 AM even). I prefer silence but never silent here :/. Music keeps me awake if I try to listen to music when I go to bed.

Back