Pokémon How Do You Make Pokemon Fun?

Dunno I think the game provides enough 'difficulty' for me. And the thing that you must play by hardcore rules ticks me off so hard. It's like you are supposed to enjoy it not crap out Pok?mon 24*7. Or, I don't get the fun I don't know.

Might be because aside from trading with peeps I take the game very casually.

This is the reason I disliked gen 5 so much. My boyfriend competitive battled so he taught me how to do it too. I was interested in learning it and wanted to make my Pokemon much stronger than they were. So I was forced to breed for 8 hours, just to get the right nature, ability, gender, etc and it was SO BORING. Like, really really boring.

I used to spit on people who cheated to get perfect IVs, EVs, etc but then I learned WHY they did it and now I'm okay with it.

Breeding for perfect Pokemon takes too long! Which is fine if you're a kid and have time but I'm a college student who works full hours on the weekend. I don't have time to breed for 6 hours for one Pokemon. I just don't, I'm sorry.

So I never played White because I really wanted to make a perfect team but didn't have the motivation to do so. I then just started despising playing White, which isn't fair to the game since it was my own fault.

So now I don't raise Pokemon competitively in game. I just use Pokemon Showdown so I can make my team quick and easy without spending weeks.

Giving pokemon nicknames and back stories can make the games seem more fun and exciting X3 Also trading :)

I liked breeding in Gen V because I could trade the things away for the first time (cause I couldn't connect with the WEP thing, long story) and it didn't take ages (as ORAS) to hatch them, now you pretty much have to use Flame Body or you have to bike around for 6 hours.

I usually don't care about the natures and such as long as I can raise them from a low level rather than getting level 35 stuff and try to train that good.

Dunno I think the game provides enough 'difficulty' for me. And the thing that you must play by hardcore rules ticks me off so hard. It's like you are supposed to enjoy it not crap out Pok?mon 24*7. Or, I don't get the fun I don't know.

I consider myself a casual gamer, but I still find I have more fun playing by nuzlocke rules. Mostly, because I start to wonder "how far can I take this pokemon?". I admit that now, I alter the rules a little of the nuzlocke to try to wind up catching a pokemon I've never trained before. To me, that's the fun part.

In my first ORAS nuzlocke, I took a Linoone and a Swellow to the E4 and Champ; beginner pokemon which have stats meant to make players switch them out for something better went all the way.
In another nuzlocke, I took the very first pokemon I caught, that forced dexnav Poochyena (Mightyena at that point) through the E4 and Champ...and she even became my MVP in the fight with the champion, and took out his monstrous mega while being only one level over it (my team was actually under level 60 when I entered the E4).

I think I take it pretty casually (compared to a lot of people anyway).

I don't really play Pokemon that much but I know I'm probably going to play each game more than once. I always tend to remember a lot from my first playthrough of games in general (especially hard parts), so when it comes to my next playthrough of a Pokemon game the self enforced rules kind of stop me from preparing for encounters and keeps the difficulty for me.

I guess it's just the closest to a difficulty selection that Pokemon has...Though I'll agree, some of the rules people try to enforce are really over the top. When I first looked at the 'Nuzlocke rules' a few months ago I must have ignored about half of them since they would just make the game outright unenjoyable for me, like a 'trail' rather than a game.

It's all preference though :3

^Yeah most types of 'locke stuff is way too hard to even enjoy but I guess it's that or normal play lol.

I wish they would have added some sort of better opportunity to train your Pok?s other than ****ting E4 all the time and that post-game Battle island trainers.

Last edited:
I like nuzlockes for the potential storytelling tbh : p I'm pretty bad at it honestly, & "game over" constantly

Yeah, I don't know aside from the first two gen's i didn't care much about storytelling imo whether it's about your Pok?mon or the bad guys.

But then I don't get the fun of killing of your Pok?mon instantly and such. I like to hoard them whether for trading or keeping ;3

LMAO that's true. I love hoarding pokes. Nuzlockes after deaths are a hassle, I usually just box them until after the elite four and revive them again :3

Pokebank/poketransfer is so convenient honestly, I got to transfer all my old teams into ORAS and it's great. Idk what to do now except stare at them but I love it hahah

If they didn't have that ****ty fee for it I could have done the Bank thing but this subscription thing, nope.

If they didn't have that ****ty fee for it I could have done the Bank thing but this subscription thing, nope.

Yea, I would have used it too. Even if it was just a small one off payment or something, I would have preferred it to a subscription.

I like keeping hold of certain Pokemon like my teams, the 'choice' Pokemon (starters or fossils), events, legendaries etc...It's such a ballache when I want to start a new game or something and I have to spend x amount of time trading all of these Pokemon to myself (using my brothers 3DS)...Better than a subscription though. I don't play it enough to justify a subscription.

Exactly. And the fact that they give out Pokemon events from it is just ech.. I mean, dude I can get Johto starters other ways.

Anyways, hoorays finally got a Slurpuff. Had to throw in a shiny though.. darn sachet worth it.

Ehh.. I paid to keep using the bank. I have so many pokemon stored there that if I take them all out, I have no room to capture pokemon anymore. And then there's STILL pokemon left in the bank(I have a hard time releasing them once I catch em).

I've even managed to nab myself every legendary that's currently obtainable. And used my pokesave to get Hoopa[shiny and non-shiny]. Hoopa's actually pretty cool. Looking forward to when I have a legit one.

Ehh.. I paid to keep using the bank. I have so many pokemon stored there that if I take them all out, I have no room to capture pokemon anymore. And then there's STILL pokemon left in the bank(I have a hard time releasing them once I catch em).

I've even managed to nab myself every legendary that's currently obtainable. And used my pokesave to get Hoopa[shiny and non-shiny]. Hoopa's actually pretty cool. Looking forward to when I have a legit one.

Yeah, I mostly exchange mine that's not legendaries/shinys/i want to keep so that is not really an issue. I love how they limited that boxes **** though so they make people buy it >_>

Yeah, I mostly exchange mine that's not legendaries/shinys/i want to keep so that is not really an issue. I love how they limited that boxes **** though so they make people buy it >_>

The price on the pokebank is really worth it though. $5 a year is an awesome subscription fee. Wish more games were that cheap.

The price on the pokebank is really worth it though. $5 a year is an awesome subscription fee. Wish more games were that cheap.

Yeah, I'd rather have a onetime $50 fee though. It's like I guess most people use it 'forever' though.

Yeah, I'd rather have a onetime $50 fee though. It's like I guess most people use it 'forever' though.

$50!?

I think the one time fee itself should be $5...

I would say the amount of people who would pay for that would arguably make up for the loss they make by it not being a subscription.

Even if they do overall make a lot less profit from it being a one time payment, it's like, c'mon! It's basically a bit more storage space for Pokemon, stop being a 'Ubisoft' and charging for this shiz.

Last edited:
The way I make the games more fun is to give the guys personalities.

Just my example for Chester the Gardevoir being hilariously Camp Ghey and (at least during the main storyline and Delta Episode) slightly malicious).

Even if they do overall make a lot less profit from it being a one time payment, it's like, c'mon! It's basically a bit more storage space for Pokemon, stop being a 'Ubisoft' and charging for this shiz.

well, just like in pokemon shuffle, I guess they've shifted the focus to cash : (

they've realized how much cash potential pokemon holds. : ((( that makes me so sad

$50!?

I think the one time fee itself should be $5...

I would say the amount of people who would pay for that would arguably make up for the loss they make by it not being a subscription.

Yeah whatever, thing is I would probably get it if it was one-time. But yeah wouldn't surprise me if they'd start doing DLC for stones lol.

Back