• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Hourly Music Survey (Updated Data as of May 5th, 2021!)

Ganucci

Bells
Daisy Easter Egg
Cherry (Fruit)
Pavé
Timmy Christmas Doll
Yellow Candy
November Birthstone (Topaz)
Candy Corn Halloweaster Egg
Purple Candy
Tasty Cake
Red Cosmos
TAKE THE SURVEY HERE (all the hourly tracks are listenable within the survey!)

As of May 5th, 2021 with 90 responses. Next update at 110 responses.
Perfection: 9.5-10
Almost Perfect 8.01-9.5

5am (8.96) ▲
2am (8.15) ▲▲
Great 7.01-8
6pm (7.84) ▲
12pm (7.52) ▼
6am (7.42) ▲
7am (7.17) ▼
12am (7.01) ▲▲
Good 6.01-7
7pm (6.88) ▲
10am (6.71) ▼
5pm (6.51) ▼
1am (6.43) ▲
11am (6.33) ▲
9am (6.28)
10pm (6.25) ▲
4am (6.08) ▲▲
8am (6.04) ▼
11pm (6.01) ▲▲
3pm (6.01) ▲▲
A Little Above Average 5.01-6
3am (5.84) ▲
8pm (5.69) ▼
4pm (5.65) ▼
1pm (5.56) ▲
9pm (5.45) ▼
Average 4.01-5
2pm (4.51) ▼
A Little Below Average 3.01-4
Bad 2.01-3
Awful 1.6-2
Unlistenable 1-1.5

A ▲ or ▼ means the track increased or decreased respectively, but stayed within the same tier.
A ▲▲ or ▼▼ means the track ascended or descended to a new tier.
Neither of the above means the track stayed the same.

Overall, how do you feel about the New Horizons hourly music tracks
3.4% I will forever play with the music off
16.9% It's not good, but there are a few good tracks
33.7% It's ok and has some good tracks
30.3% It's good, most of the tracks are great
10.1% It's very good and almost every track is a hit
5.6% It's fantastic and I will probably listen to it even when I'm not playing

In general, do you like the "rainy" versions of the hourly tracks?
50.6% Yes
4.5% No
22.5% Mixed feelings
22.5% Haven't heard them enough to have an opinion

In general, do you like the "snowy" versions of the hourly tracks?
36% Yes
3.4% No
5.6% Mixed feelings
55.1% Haven't heard them enough to have an opinion

If you had the option to play with the music off and only have ambient noises, would you?
0% All the time
22.7% Most of the time
13.6% Half the time
40.9% Sometimes
13.6% Not very often
9.1% Never

Which Animal Crossing game has your favorite hourly music?
22.1% Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
23.3% Animal Crossing Wild World/City Folk/Let's Go To The City
46.5% Animal Crossing New Leaf
8.1% Animal Crossing New Horizons

Previous update: May 3rd, 2021

Don't forget to post how (and maybe even why) you voted how you did!

Last edited:
Quick question: When we are rating each track, is the rating based on/in comparsion to the other hourly tracks in NH, how much we like the music in general, or compared to other Animal Crossing hourly tracks (from all games)?

Quick question: When we are rating each track, is the rating based on/in comparsion to the other hourly tracks in NH, how much we like the music in general, or compared to other Animal Crossing hourly tracks (from all games)?

I would say how much you like that track in general. I think it's almost inevitable to compare them to each other and even to other AC games though.

OOooh, noice poll. I'll have fun doing this :) I can't listen to the songs on Youtube so i used Nookipedia lol. i haven't been able to play on all the times of the day to listen to all the music, soo, this was cool <3 i do rlly love 7am and 8am

I really enjoyed taking this! I rarely play at 12-5AM so it was nice to hear those songs for the first time for the most part. I think I generally prefer the morning hours between 7-9AM because that is when I usually would be playing. I was also interested that snow changes the music a bit. I haven't experienced snow in NH yet so I'm very excited to see what happens with the music this winter!

Aw thanks for the kind words everyone!

I really enjoyed taking this! I rarely play at 12-5AM so it was nice to hear those songs for the first time for the most part. I think I generally prefer the morning hours between 7-9AM because that is when I usually would be playing. I was also interested that snow changes the music a bit. I haven't experienced snow in NH yet so I'm very excited to see what happens with the music this winter!

Yeah I definitely hear 7-9 the most too! I'm iffy on the 8am track but enjoy the other two. And you'll love the snowy versions! It's pretty hard not to in my opinion because of how charming they sound.

Aw thanks for the kind words everyone!

Yeah I definitely hear 7-9 the most too! I'm iffy on the 8am track but enjoy the other two. And you'll love the snowy versions! It's pretty hard not to in my opinion because of how charming they sound.
you should listen to the 1pm-5pm soundtracks those are the best :^)

That was a fun poll. I like the morning music the best. Specifically 5am-7am, 10am and 12pm. Mostly I play at night so I don’t always get to hear the morning music. It might be nice if you could pick a track for the day or have it change hourly.

I only really like the 5am, which is my favourite, 6pm & 2am music. Some are OK but most I don't like especially the 3am & 2pm music.

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded so far! I got a good amount so I updated the first post with the most recent results. I'm not surprised 5am ended up on top, but I was not expecting 2am!

I'll update the first post with the results for the other questions a little later.

The 2pm music is hideous.

Almost threw the switch into a wall because of it.

I gave up having music playing as the entire NH soundtrack drowns everything out, including fishing.

I'd rather no sound.

The hourly music is honestly one of my biggest criticisms about ACNH. I'd like to articulate myself very clearly on this though. I'm not trying to complain as I know they worked very hard on it and many people do enjoy it. These are just my own thoughts and preferences on the matter.

When I first heard the main theme of the game I was in awe. It sounded amazing. I just loved the instruments they used as it sounds handcrafted, unique, and original- if that makes sense. Not to mention it was catchy! As a musician, especially one who plays both uke and flugelhorn, I appreciated these things.

I was hoping for the same in the hourly music. However, when I listened to the hourly music I was disappointed that they didn't stick with what they had going in the main theme in regard to the sound (not to be confused with the melody). Instead, they used what sounds like a synthesizer trying too hard to make ACNH sound "trendy". The synthesizer sounds really out of place and I don't usually dislike the synthesizer, but for some reason, it's almost annoying to me here. I find that the hourly music in the game isn't nearly as quirky while simultaneously peaceful and memorable as the previous titles had managed to capture.

Anyway, that's my critique. To my ear, it sounds like they chose trendy over that handcrafted sound and I prefer the latter. That being said, I found myself consistently rating the hourly music with less of that trendy sound higher: 5AM, 6PM, 2AM, and especially 3AM, which takes me back to how quirky the hourly music on Animal Crossing GCN version used to be. 3AM just sounds like it's asking me "Why are you awake?" and I love it. I dislike most of the other ones, but my overall least favorites are 8AM and 2PM.

Haha, sorry it's a long-winded response. I guess I had more to say than I thought. 😅

Last edited:
Out of all AC games, NH has good to so-so hourly music. I rank the OST below GC and NL, but above WW and CF. When that first NH trailer hit way back when, I expected the hourly tunes to all have a sort of tropical flavor, to suit the island theme (kinda like the OST of Pkmn: Sun and Moon), but I'm glad the composer went with a more general, forest vibe. Regardless, the tracks still sound Animal Crossing-y. If I'd never heard them before and you blindfolded me I'd definitely tell you that they were AC music.

My standout tracks are 5 and 6am, 5pm and 3am. 5/6AM perfectly embody that slow, lazy start to your morning where you're still shaking off the last bits of sleep, but you're out of bed and up and at 'em. 5pm is enhanced by the gorgeous sunset and makes everything feel golden and special. It's also the perfect preamble to the cooldown of the rest of your evening. 3am just sound like a disappointed parent/spouse who woke up to use the bathroom and caught you up playing AC in the middle of the night. They're not mad, just disappointed. Go to bed.

Most of the middle of the day/early afternoon tracks kinda blended together, as well as 10pm leading up to midnight. Which is fine. Not every hourly theme transition should be as jarring as 2am to 3am from Gamecube.

I think a lot of them fit the more laid back vibe of New Horizons. I like them overall.

Just did the survey!

1am, 7am, 8am are my favs. 3am makes me laugh super hard too, it's hilarious! Too bad I never wake up early enough to hear them lol.

The rest of the songs are meh. This soundtrack definitely could have been better and I'm still disappointed. A lot of the tracks are forgettable to me. A lot sound like the main New Horizons theme and it bugs me.

Second favorite soundtrack in the series, behind GC! 2am-5am, 2pm, 5pm, are the standouts for me, but I don't dislike any.

Back