Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Inspired by all of my recent discussions on the hourly music, I decided to open a new thread where you can discuss anything about the hourly soundtracks in Animal Crossing. Even though it’s one small aspect, it’s widely discussed and is open to multiple interpretations.

You are also allowed to mention what usually happens at a certain time of the day too.

So, uh, 5PM New Horizons. Can we talk about it? I've sort of talked about it briefly, but it's pretty bad.

I first heard it when I completed the Resident Services building back near when the game was released. Immediately, I thought that it sounded like something you'd hear in a love video that is clearly geared towards adults. After a while, however, I thought to myself, "Is this what I'm really going to hear all the time..."

So yeah. This is the best track to play during 5PM apparently. I'll give it credit for at least being different, but it's not good. It's definitely not a song I want to hear every time I come home from work first thing, and I'm sick of hearing it. Can I just hack into the game and replace the game's songs with New Leaf's? That soundtrack is so much better.
No, I'm not going to hack my Switch; I play Online on that thing.

In stark comparison, I heard the 2AM music from the original GameCube Animal Crossing, and I found it hilarious that a random upbeat track would play in the middle of the night. Like, 1AM goes by. You've just heard some pretty relaxing music, barely anyone's up, and you yourself are about to fall asleep. Then 2AM hits, and all of a sudden, the game starts blaring synthesized trumpets like "AY, YOUR PARENTS BE SLEEPING, TIME TO PARTY YO!" and you then wake up and suddenly gain the motivation to play longer. When it ends at 3AM, it becomes calm again, and then you're too tired to do anything else at that point.

I'm wondering why we never got anything similar to that (as far as I know); I mean, even New Horizons could've done it with that game's awkward soundtrack choices. Some of the late night tracks are alright, but it's mainly the daytime ones in that game that drive me nuts.

These are the weirdest hourly songs:
  • 3 AM (New Horizons)
  • 2 PM (New Horizons)
  • 4 AM (New Leaf)
  • 12 AM (New Leaf)
  • 10 PM (Wild World/City Folk)
  • 3 PM (Wild World/City Folk)
I don’t know what Nintendo was thinking when they made these hourly songs. Even the minimal effort they put in the 1 AM song in the GameCube version is better than this.

A lot of Wild World hourly themes sound very minimalistic because it's a DS game with limited capabilities. The ones that sound the most basic, usually due to having a beat or instrument that is very repetitive, are:

• 6 AM
  • 8 AM
  • 2 PM
  • 3 PM
  • 9 PM
  • 10 PM
  • 11 PM
6 AM has a repeating electric piano, along with other repeating instruments. The same goes for 8 AM, and in 2 PM most of the instruments play the same thing. In 3 PM, the second half is just the same thing being repeated, in 9 PM almost everything is the exact same thing, and in 10 PM and 11 PM a lot of it is just one main instrument in the background. Every hourly theme in the game has something that repeats a lot, though some, like 2 AM and 12 AM, do this to a lesser extent. I actually think that songs doing this adds to the charm of the DS's limited capabilities, but it doesn't make sense that they would copy these songs in City Folk, a game on a console where games can have orchestral music. Some songs in the game even prove that they're capable of making songs that sound fitting for the console. Anyway, the point is that I like the soundtrack of these games.

Back