help please! getting blood drawn later for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks again everyone...
dad is picking me up in 30 mins.

I just wanna get this over with I'm so afraid

ohh they think you might have diabetes? which kind

its not that bad, its just like a pinch. itll be over like that.

Well, it really isn't that big of a deal. But that's coming from someone who's had their blood drawn every month of their life since kindergarten.
The pain only lasts for a split second. If you have to, you can look away or close your eyes if you don't want to see the needle.

Probably too late now but if you're nervous about needles, make sure you eat well and drink enough water beforehand to prevent passing out. When I have my blood drawn I usually pinch myself or something to distract myself from the feeling of it. I know it's hard, but don't think of the needle. I think the most painful part IMO is the sensation and not the needle, but if I think of the needle it makes me nauseous lol

just remember that it'll be a tiny pinch, it takes less than a second for the pain to fade away - at least thats how it should feel. breathe slowly, you'll be fine

drink a lot of water beforehand and stay hydrated. don't try to wait until it's right before the draw to drink a lot because it's unlikely you'll absorb anything. the pains actually pretty small like your main feeling will feel like someone is putting like a bruise or stingish pressure into you--that is just the needle. if you can look away and focus on something for 60-120 some seconds of mild discomfort it'll be like nothing happened.

if you're dizzy after drink some juice, eat a cracker--eat something before if possible--and if there's a place to recline or lie down do so c:

i do this every month so that logic usually comforts me

Alrighty so you need to know that it does not hurt that bad. It is definitely more painful biting your cheek or tongue by accident. It's more of the thought and trust me, I'm afraid of needles too. This feels more like a minor pinch. You DO feel it, but it's nothing worth screaming over.

If your veins are hard to find then you might have a bad time. They will need to prick you a few times to find a vein and that is when it becomes troubling. Luckily the nurse I had didn't start pricking; she looked and felt with her fingers until she found one.

DO NOT LOOK. It's a given but DO NOT LOOK. DON'T. Not once, not ever. I put my head back and just told the lady what I was having for dinner that night in great detail. xP Let them know it is your first time. I did and the nurse was super sweet to me!

However, she told me I was done so I looked back down, wanting to leave asap. I looked over at the table because I saw her writing on sheets and I thought I needed to fill in forms or something. Then I saw it. Four of the viles filled with my blood. That's when I felt sick and wanted to leave right then and there. I got dizzy but left anyway.

Long story short, I ended up fainting in the hallway while I was walking back to the car with my mom. So you may need to lay down somewhere to rest and relax for a while. I've only gotten my blood drawn once so for next time I gotta tell them that I fainted last time. xP

So anyway, to summarize: it doesn't hurt, it's just gross and uncomfortable.

Good luck!! Hopefully I didn't scare you. :C I just wanted to warn you so you wouldn't make the same mistakes I did!

alright so update for everyone...
they didn't draw my blood today.

so basically I went in and they pricked a few of my fingers which I was fine with and they tested for both anemia and diabetes which they don't think I have either yet my symptoms match up completely so she was pretty confused. I'm really dizzy and have been for a couple days now (I feel seasick and like I'm on a boat) and I'm constantly drink water but still dehydrated feeling with dry mouth. I'm constantly urinating, having trouble hearing/speaking, very fatigued (always sleeping), constant headache, constantly hungry, weak, etc. they checked my vitals and pulse and blood pressure in different stances and they were all normal for the most part... all they found was a tiny ear infection I have in my left ear which I'm taking mucinex for because the doctor at the urgent care I went to last night told me to get some and just treat that for now etc. etc.... but for now I was sent home and in the early morning tomorrow they're sending me to the hospital for an actual blood test and ekg.

just please keep me in your thoughts, I'm just a nervous wreck and am not myself at all and just want to be okay bc this is out of the ordinary for me to be feeling this poorly.

since now I'm going bright and early tomorrow, you're more than welcome to keep giving advice.

thank you so much for all your support in this with me thus far.
I'll keep updating when I know more.

Last edited:
u sound like u have diabetes

what kind do they think? because that sounds amost just like me before i got diagnosed with diabetes

u sound like u have diabetes

what kind do they think? because that sounds amost just like me before i got diagnosed with diabetes

literally that's what I was thinking. I had a best friend (lost contact) who was diagnosed with type 1 when we were super young and I remember her feeling just like me....

both my grandpas had type 2 though..

they didn't say which but I was leaning more towards 1, they didn't specifically tell me what type or anything though. my sugar was 91 so they were like nope! But I honestly really think that's what it is....

- - - Post Merge - - -

then again I am not a doctor and have no clue which one it would be.. I just have a feeling and I do have like all of the symptoms of it.. I'm not trying to self-diagnose or whatever but ugh I just know it >.>

Last edited:
I used to get my blood drawn every morning and it's not that bad. I used to be really afraid of needles (still am kind of) but like others had said, it really depends on your nurse. It's alright to tell the nurse that you're nervous. They'll explain the procedure while they're doing it usually and having someone with you helps too as they can distract you. Either way, it doesn't hurt much and once you get your blood drawn, you'll see it's not too bad. :)

weird. im going to get my blood drawn today lol. its my 3rd time, and i still get kinda nervous. not bc it hurts or anything, but bc i get dizzy when they do it. i have anemia too so that doesnt really help. i usually drink juice asap to feel better

Last edited:
It's the little part where you go through the skin where you feel a pinch. When under the skin you don't feel a thing.

It's fear that makes it a problem for people, not the procedure itself. :lemon:

I've given blood before, it really doesn't hurt c: you do feel the needle but it's more uncomfortable than painful. Just don't look and try not to wiggle, and eat something after^'^

I never went to hospitals when I was younger for the same reason (fairly healthy, no big injuries)... so it was a bit traumatising when I got dengue fever a few months ago and had to be admitted to the hospital. They took blood from me twice a day for a week. It was scary at first but it's really not that bad. Like others have said, just listen to music and look away to distract yourself. The first time I got really light headed I blacked out for a few seconds. It doesn't really hurt unless you get someone who doesn't know how to find your vein (which happened to me a few times... I had to request a nurse change because it was that uncomfortable for me). They should be pretty accommodating if something like that happens.. but like I said, I don't have much experience in hospitals lol. Good luck!

Im leaving soon to go do this and my nerves are so shot.

I couldn't stop thinking about it all night. I'm bringing music and my boyfriend but still I'm so afraid...

I feel really pathetic. I just wanna get back home already and talk marshals ear off and work on my town because that makes me feel better.

Last edited:
@dizzy.. I can relate to the vein problems.. I have pretty thin and long arms so a lot of time they had to switch arms or really try to pop them out from the arm so they could actually get something in..

also @Cailey.. hope everything go well :)

update for everyone. I'm so upset.
yet again, this is postponed a day.

I'm not doing well at all honestly and I'm so upset because I just went for my blood test and they told me one of the things in the test had to be done really early like 7am when I got there at 10am so they wouldn't do it. now they don't have appointments available for the next couple days so I'm trying as a walk in early tomorrow morning and since I have a doctors order I have priority and they really need to find out what's wrong soon.

I'm literally so dizzy and so weak and need to know what's wrong with me but now it's postponed a day again. I even fasted. I've been crying all morning I'm such a wreck guys, help.. at this point like I don't even care I just want it done.

Last edited:
*hugs* That sucks so much when you really need/want to do something and they post-pone/change it like that... Hope you can make it through.. Also writing it down like you did here about worries might help a lot.. if you want to talk you can PM me if you want. I might be a bit slow since I'm working on an essay and looking up various facts for some films.

Also, I hope they find out what's wrong.. Knowing things but not what is the worst, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back