• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Have you ever played RAID: Shadow Legends?

TurnipBell20

forever 90s ❤️
Bells
I saw a couple of sponsorships and ads on YouTube, and people complaining about that.

I personally don’t consider playing the game, but has anyone played it? Is it really as bad as people say?

I avoid all of these types of games.

I'm sure they appeal to some people (they must to even exist)...but, they have never been for me.

I think the closest thing that I can equate games of this caliber to, are those ads during the 90's and early 2000's for paying to install ringtones on your cell phone. "Text 02999 to download 'fart' ringtone". :poop: -Maybe this is an unfair comparison. I don't know. Lol. I just don't know who watches an ad bumper on a youtube video and says "this is for me". 😆

I've never played it, but I do find its marketing to be something interesting. Not because it says anything particularly special, but because its claims are so easy to disprove--particularly on the platform on which it is most often advertised--that I don't understand why they haven't thought of a better way to approach it. Its ads are largely predicated on the game being a real RPG akin to the console or PC experience on your phone, without the aggressive monetization associated with mobile games. But every review outlet and footage of the game I've seen demonstrates that it is literally just a run-of-the-mill mobile game with absolutely nothing to distinguish itself, except perhaps graphically, from the countless others on the App store. And its monetization scheme is equally aggressive.

Obviously, I don't expect the advertising team to say "Come play our game! It's actually as awful as you're expecting!" But you would think they would be slightly more clever, considering the playerbase they're aiming for will likely see the ad and, if it actually looks interesting to them, will immediately begin to type "raid shadow legends gameplay" into their YouTube search bar.

Never played it and never will but I do enjoy some of the ads for it, like the guy whose orc lady was brought in to real life and they go to the grocery store together. It's a cringy ad but weirdly entertaining.

I haven’t played it nor will I ever play it. Games like that don’t appeal to me. I see random ads for this and that other game with the pig called Coin Master. I find them annoying simply because how much they get shoved in your face. It’s almost as bad as those apps that suggest you can win real money. Those don’t ever work, and if they do, they have weird minimum money requirements or it takes an hour to earn two cents. The ads are super cringy as well, for all of these phone games. The only phone game I have downloaded and play consistently is Episode, which is a great app, by the way.
(If anyone else plays Episode here, let me know, lol)

Curiosity got the better of me and I gave it a go. I thought that maybe with the sheer amount of marketing and sponsorship, SURELY it can't be just ANOTHER crappy mobile game with braindead combat and gacha mechanics...I didn't believe that for a second, but it would have been nice if I downloaded this and it was actually a good game.

Well, I kept my expectations realistically low and it is in fact just another crappy mobile game with braindead combat and gacha mechanics. Uninstalled it within the hour after I had seen that yep, it is just mindless pressing of buttons in a game that basically plays itself.

In fairness, their character design is actually pretty darn cool. When I see them showing a new character during yet another paid sponsorship in a video, I often feel "damn, I wish that was in a good game".

I get that content creators rely on sponsorship from **** like this but it's just extremely grating to see it so often. Specifically with sponsorship like from Raid, I also lose quite a bit of respect when I see a content creator who is obviously invested in video games (gaming creator for example, or somebody that doesn't make gaming related content but has merch all over their shelves) pushing this **** when they just can't really think it's a good game, but audiences will assume it is because their favorite "gamer" thought it was good enough to endorse.

Example: everytime Jontron advertises a crappy mobile game I lose a bit more faith in him because I feel he can't possibly actually enjoy that **** as a guy who made his name off the back of loving video games. It feels like he's peddling stuff he knows isn't good and knows people might play because he (among others) lied about how good it is. Surely he has enough companies wanting to do paid promotion that in his mind might actually be be a good product, not a product that I as a fellow player of the games find it nigh impossible to believe he even logged into longer than it took to get a few screenshots and accept invites for his clan.
I wouldn't question if he advertised BlueApron or DollerShaveClub though, at no point have I ever been lead to believe he has any passion or extended knowledge for those things, so him saying "this cooking stuff is the best cook stuff I've ever cooked" is believable as his opinion on food [to me] is as "educated" as any other randomer from the street, which is the majority of us. He's not Gordon Ramsay endorsing that crap.

It's one of those types of games that you can do as an offer for other games to gain currency. So it's like a go to level 20 as fast as you can type of deal. And it can entertain you for that long, but after that it's just a drag and the game only hopes to catch that 1% with a gambling addiction who gets hooked on the concept and starts spending money consistently.

These types of games really have no purpose other than to level up and increase your power. I knew a person once who played the Mafia version of these games and their entire reason for playing was other people and their faction. Just having millions of power and defending it over other people. It was completely social.

The more ads I see of the game, the more I'm convinced it's a terrible game lol. I don't believe any of the content creators advertising it even plays the game tbh. A lot of non-gamers advertise it and it's very clear they're just saying what the company told them to say. It feels very disingenuous. Besides that, it's also just not my type of game, nor do I play mobile games, so even if I thought it was a legitimately good game, I wouldn't play it myself.

I've never had any interest in this game from the first time I saw it advertised in a YouTube video, and I've been shilled it so many times with their generic scripts for so long now that even if I ever was interested I wouldn't play it now just out of spite.

Though, the phrasing of that comes off more angry than I am, as I'm not. However, I'm not fond of being advertised to in general, so the amount of times I've seen and heard the same stuff over and over, like this example, just makes me less interested in giving a product a chance.

Last edited:
Back