• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Glitches from the Adoption of Villagers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo, from what I've read so far, the glitch is still present even if you have waited real-life days after receiving a villager?
I obtained a Raymond like 10 days ago. I have not TT nor have I invited anyone. He didn't do the double invitation prompt, and his move went smoothly. I have moved his house once during my island remodel.

Am I safe as long as I have my island on lockdown?
Can I visit others as long as they don't visit me?

Edit: thank you everyone :)

Last edited:
Sooo, from what I've read so far, the glitch is still present even if you have waited real-life days after receiving a villager?
I obtained a Raymond like 10 days ago. I have not TT nor have I invited anyone. He didn't do the double invitation prompt, and his move went smooth. I have even moved his house once during my island remodel.

As long as your void is empty and you have not had anyone infect you with their glitched voids you should be safe in quarantine.

We don’t know if it’s just when having visitors or if visiting others can cause it at your end, but if the people you are visiting have glitched voids you may pick it up and bring it to your island without knowing.

Last edited:
I obtained a Raymond like 10 days ago. I have not TT nor have I invited anyone. He didn't do the double invitation prompt, and his move went smooth. I have even moved his house once during my island remodel.

I would say if he didn’t do the repeat invitation prompt you’re fine. I adopted Merengue about two weeks ago, didn’t even wait before traveling to other islands and she’s been completely okay. This glitch doesn’t affect every traded villager.

In other news I got a visitor through my campsite who I moved in. I’ve heard that since I’ll have a new “voided” character that may remove the void of my glitched character? Hmm.

Last edited:

^ I posted a guide on how to avoid the glitch! I hope it works!

I have mixed feeling about wanting a patch right now or they should take their time in getting a proper patch this time around that won't result in further problems.

how can i tell if i have a glitched plot or villager? this is all so confusing

Unless they were acting strangely when you adopted them there's no way of knowing, sadly.

What we know:
  • When adopting a villager from another town, your villager will be glitched if you are able to invite them more than once. After inviting them the first time and speaking to them again, their dialogue should revolve around packing or something that ends abruptly. If the villager is glitched, however, you will be able to invite them again to move to your island.
  • Some people have reported villagers working on an invisible DIY station when they are in boxes and about to be adopted. This could very well be another indicator that the villager is glitched.

Other than that, you will know you have a glitched plot if they move out without asking you, or if a villager suddenly disappears from your island life and has a "I've moved out." prompt when trying to open their door.

The working theory is that glitched villagers can trigger when visiting or being visited by someone. There are many example of people reporting a villager "moving out" and glitching after someone has visited their town. Secondly villagers from someone's void can move into your town, and be glitched, which is why we suggest to air on the side of caution and avoid online play if you're afraid of being impacted until Nintendo patches it.

Last edited:
Unless they were acting strangely when you adopted them there's no way of knowing, sadly.

What we know:
  • When adopting a villager from another town, your villager will be glitched if you are able to invite them more than once. After inviting them the first time and speaking to them again, their dialogue should revolve around packing or something that ends abruptly. If the villager is glitched, however, you will be able to invite them again to move to your island.
  • Some people have reported villagers working on an invisible DIY station when they are in boxes and about to be adopted. This could very well be another indicator that the villager is glitched.

Other than that, you will know you have a glitched plot if they move out without asking you, or if a villager suddenly disappears from your island life and has a "I've moved out." prompt when trying to open their door.

The working theory is that glitched villagers can trigger when visiting or being visited by someone. There are many example of people reporting a villager "moving out" and glitching after someone has visited their town. Secondly villagers from someone's void can move into your town, and be glitched.

so if i have time skipped after they move in and they haven't moved out then im good?

so if i have time skipped after they move in and they haven't moved out then im good?

Unfortunately, no. There has been reports that they experienced the glitched after a week and they did some online play. I do read in discord some experience it even after two weeks.

I would like to share my experience with the glitch.

I adopted a villager from friend island last week. I was not aware of the glitch. I could invite him more than once.
I went back to my island and TT, he has never shown up on my island (not sure if someone visited me to trigger the glitch) and when I checked his home. The villager has moved out.
Then I found this thread, I did TT multiple times and he is gone. I have empty plot. I TT and filled it with a random villager.

Yesterday, I adopted few villagers and there is no problem at all until I have the same empty plot which was glitch last week.
I again could invite a villager twice, and then I forced quit. I am sure it is glitch.
Then I tried to adopt a new villager with the same plot from new owner, same I could invite twice.
I didn't ask if they could sell the villager after I complained it's a glitch. But I doubt it's glitch from my side which this plot will be glitch forever...

I don't know if this qualifies as a glitch but while TTing to get a free spot, Zucker wanted to move. I told him to do so because I wanted to gift the sweet Takoyaki to a friend that loves him even more than me. At the same time I had a campsite visit, Wendy, that chose Opal and I decided to let Opal go.

So the thing is, Opal was obviously in boxes, and I decided to search for a home for her. I found an user interested on her and I gifted her to her, we checked for the ''repetitive adoption sequence'' glitch sign but everything was normal (I've never had glitches, and most of my moving villagers are given away for free to people who want them here or in Nookazon). So I skipped one day because my friend was already cycling to make a spot and I wanted to have Zucker ready in boxes, and...

Wendy had moved in.

But Zucker had completely forgotten that the had to move out.

I remember having something similar with Tybalt, and skipping one more day seemed to make him realize he was moving, so I did so (Tybalt was also adopted and as for now, 1 week later, I haven't heard of any problems from the user). So I did, I skipped one more day, just in case the game only accepted ''one event a day'' such as Wendy moving.

Zucker has no idea and it's just chilling still (I was a few days behind from today's date), he has forgotten he had to move and I'm sure that I told him to move, since I was contacting my friend while choosing if he could leave or not. I know it's not the ''I've moved out'' glitch or anything interesting, but I thought I should share it, it's my first time giving away and exchanging villagers too, so perhaps this is some mechanic everyone was aware of, so I'm sorry if it is.

Last edited:
I've just received a glitched villager (I presume) and would like to share my experience.

I'd been looking for Wade for days now and I finally found someone who sold him. Before I went to their island to adopt him, I went to several mystery tour islands (in hopes of getting him, but no luck). Instead, I got Kitt, who moved into Dizzy's plot, who moved out yesterday.
Then I put down the 10th plot for Wade and went to adopt him. My conversations (plural, I made sure he didn't ask me twice to move to my island) went okay, but when the host ended the session, Wade's plot read "Cherry's house". The host said they hadn't kicked him out via amiibo. So tomorrow I guess I'll have a normal Kitt move in, and the day after tomorrow I'll have a ghost house and no Wade to be seen. :)

I don't know where to look for answers because I'm dumb lol
However, I did this trade with someone and it glitched.
They were picking up beau from my island and then
he goes back and its bam on his island and it says "bam moved out"
he's tt and bams house is still on his island.

What is the best course of action to get rid of this house?

What is the best course of action to get rid of this house?

This thread is a wealth of information:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back