Getting A Japanese 3DS!

Xanthippie

Bells
Hey! It's Xanthippie, obviously.
I'm going to get a Japanese Import 3DS with a New Leaf game! Other than the charger, do I need any power converters or Japanese SD cards, or anything along these lines? I don't know much about what I need to get just for the 3DS, so if anyone knows, please give me some pointers!​

Last edited:
Unless you travel in Japan for quite some time, you won't need to purchase a region-specific 3DS charger, nor even a power converter. Your current 3DS charger can charge your Japanese 3DS just fine, given that the actual hardware share the same specifications no matter which region the system is designed for.

Any SD Card that can be used for your current 3DS can also be used for the Japanese one as well. No need to import a SD Card from Japan as well!

Last edited:
Unless you travel in Japan for quite some time, you won't need to purchase a region-specific 3DS charger, nor even a power converter. Your current 3DS charger can charge your Japanese 3DS just fine, given that the actual hardware share the same specifications no matter which region the system is designed for.

Any SD Card that can be used for your current 3DS can also be used for the Japanese one as well. No need to import a SD Card from Japan as well!

Thank you so much! Just one more question - Are the New 3DS (Japanese) and my New 3DS XL (NA) different hardware specs? I don't know too much about the hardware part, so thank you!

Thank you so much! Just one more question - Are the New 3DS (Japanese) and my New 3DS XL (NA) different hardware specs? I don't know too much about the hardware part, so thank you!

The only difference in specs are anything involving the battery. The one from the smaller New 3DS model have less capacity (1400 mAh) than the bigger one (1750 mAh), therefore having shorter battery life by about an hour or so.

Last edited:
The only difference in specs are anything involving the battery. The one from the smaller New 3DS model have less capacity (1400 mAh) than the bigger one (1750 mAh), therefore having shorter battery life by about an hour or so.

Does that mean I need a charger specific for the smaller 3DS? I have everything else covered from here, so thanks again!

My XL has the battery it came with, and i don't know if its possible to change it with another, in case you needed the info!

Last edited:
Does that mean I need a charger specific for the smaller 3DS? I have everything else covered from here, so thanks again!

My XL has the battery it came with, and i don't know if its possible to change it with another, in case you needed the info!

The standard charger that came with your XL model can also charge every handheld from the 3DS family, including your smaller New 3DS as well. Therefore, there's no need to invest for another one.

The standard charger that came with your XL model can also charge every handheld from the 3DS family, including your smaller New 3DS as well. Therefore, there's no need to invest for another one.

Ok, thank you! I'm all set!

Last edited:
Oh, as an FYI - if you live in the US, you can actually use the Japanese charger for that 3DS if you want. The power difference is extremely minor and you only need any sort of power converter for electronics that have a heating element in it. For example, I have a bought in Japan kotatsu (the tables with the heaters on the bottom) and I need a power converter for that since it has a heater. But video game consoles are just fine.

I've been buying video games from Japan since the PS1-era and no issues. I have a Japanese PS2, Wii, Wii U, and Xbox 360, and I plug them in while in the US and no problems.

Note: If you are in Europe, this will NOT work, even if you have an adapter to plug it into your different outlets. The power conversion difference is too big and it will fry your device. You can use the European plug for the Japanese 3DS though.

Back