• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gameboy and GBA games coming to Switch!

I'm really praying for a rerelease of Red Rescue Team and the GBA port of Puyo Pop Fever, ESPECIALLY Fever. Heck, they could even go as far as demaking Fever Chu (Chu is 2 in Japanese) for the GBA and release that! Knowing SEGA, it probs won't happen though. Red Rescue is still possible though!

I'm really praying for a rerelease of Red Rescue Team and the GBA port of Puyo Pop Fever, ESPECIALLY Fever. Heck, they could even go as far as demaking Fever Chu (Chu is 2 in Japanese) for the GBA and release that! Knowing SEGA, it probs won't happen though. Red Rescue is still possible though!
It may happen. Sera has been on really friendly terms with Nintendo ever since Sonic was in Smash Bros Brawl and made the first Mario and Sonic Olympic Games.

This was super pleasant news from the direct. A good addition to the online games library. I don't have online but some of those games do make it tempting to consider a month or two when the library is expanded and I have more free time. And since Pokemon TCG is in the coming soon lineup, I hope that means Pokemon Pinball will be considered for the future too, that game was way more fun than it should have been considering it's just pinball. :ROFLMAO:

Though, does anyone else feel Link's Awakening is an odd choice to launch with this? I dunno maybe it's just me but considering the game was remade for the Switch this just seemed like a weird decision. I guess the switch one is old enough by now...

This was super pleasant news from the direct. A good addition to the online games library. I don't have online but some of those games do make it tempting to consider a month or two when the library is expanded and I have more free time. And since Pokemon TCG is in the coming soon lineup, I hope that means Pokemon Pinball will be considered for the future too, that game was way more fun than it should have been considering it's just pinball. :ROFLMAO:

Though, does anyone else feel Link's Awakening is an odd choice to launch with this? I dunno maybe it's just me but considering the game was remade for the Switch this just seemed like a weird decision. I guess the switch one is old enough by now...
Not as odd as the SMB 3 GBA port being added when we already have two other versions of the base game for the NES and SNES Online services.

I'm not getting the expansion (Have you seen how much the family plan version costs?) but I am excited for some of the Gameboy/Gameboy Color games that are available with a normal subscription. Specifically excited because I saw Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and TLOZ Oracle of Ages/Seasons are coming at some point. I never got to play Tilt 'n' Tumble and I used to have Oracle of Seasons but it broke.

I loved the GBA (it was the first modern video game console I owned) so this was very exciting for me! However, looking back I'm not sure what games I would hop on playing right now.

I’m hoping Drill Dozer will be added. That game deserves more love and is really fun to play.

I know this topic is old, but I've been away. I'm kind of lowkey curious what kind of controller they would create for the gameboy/gba if they were to make one lol. You know like how they made a Switch wireless controller for the nes, snes, genesis, and n64 so far.
GameCube-GBA-Link-Cable.jpg

Haven't written anything up about this yet, so here's my thoughts on it after a week of playing:
  • There isn't a proper thread on this month's Nintendo Direct, but after the apps leaked last April and the announcement that the 3DS and Wii U eShops are closing, I predicted this'd be in it, alongside Pikmin 4, TOTK and something related to the Fresh Season Update in Splatoon 3. Nice to be right 3 and a half times (we're getting Fresh Season info today, but the Inkopolis wave of the DLC comes out alongside it so I'm half right there) out of 4!
  • How has it taken until 2023 to have GBA games (widely) reissued on a Nintendo handheld? Still find it kinda weird that they came out on Wii U, of all places. Same with DS games (which is going to be even weirder on the Switch, if it ever happens)
  • As for the games themselves... honestly, think GBA has a better lineup so far. The only games properly enticing me in the Game Boy lineup are Tetris and Super Mario Land 2 (because I have the remake of Link's Awakening and I still badly need to actually play it, I have still yet to properly vibe with Metroid and Wario Land, Alone In The Dark is impressive by GBC port standards but it isn't really my thing, and neither is Gargoyles) whereas GBA has Super Mario Advance 4 with all the e-card levels, the original Warioware, the better 16-bit Mario Kart, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (which I've always been meaning to play) and Kurukuru Kurin (I am tremendously bad at this game, please help me). It's a banger lineup, ngl.
  • However, I think that the upcoming lineup for Game Boy NSO is stronger than the GBA one. I don't really care for F-Zero, Fire Emblem or Golden Sun.
  • Also good to see that For The Frog The Bell Tolls is coming to the JP NSO app! Never played it, only heard of it, but I'll give it a go because it's on there.
  • Finally, a quick wishlist: Pokémon, the other Super Mario Advance games, some of the other GBA SNES ports like LttP or Donkey Kong Country, X (the first game with Totaka's Song in it), the first ever European release of Warioware: Twisted!, and despite the fact I still need to complete the second game and actually play the first one, the third game in the Mother/Earthbound Trilogy (at the very least on the JP one like the Wii U)

I saw Metroid Fusion and Fire Emblem during the direct, but two games aren't enough for me to warrant buying the expansion pass rinow. I'll wait until the library's bigger since there's a lot of GBA games I missed out on as a kid lol
I am surprised they didn't even add Pokemon GBA games (FireRed, Sapphire for example) I am not too excited for them, but it is a good step in the right direction. I just hope they'll add DS games next.
Wouldn't be surprised if Gen 1-3 were announced for Switch Online on Pokemon Day. Home compatibility is a given imo since the VC releases had Poketransfer -> Bank

Wouldn't be surprised if Gen 1-3 were announced for Switch Online on Pokemon Day. Home compatibility is a given imo since the VC releases had Poketransfer -> Bank

Would love to believe this...but it also makes too much sense to be something Nintendo would do, IMO. - If there's one thing I've come to learn about Nintendo...it's that they love to do the complete opposite of what makes the most sense.

Would love to believe this...but it also makes too much sense to be something Nintendo would do, IMO. - If there's one thing I've come to learn about Nintendo...it's that they love to do the complete opposite of what makes the most sense.
Considering that the E-Shop for the 3DS is closing down pretty soon I really hope they consider bringing Pokemon Bank to the Switch if they do plan on adding GB and GBA Pokemon games.

I bought a NSO membership shortly after the GB/GBA games were announced. I've been wanting to play Zelda Minish Cap for a while but I don't own a GBA, so it's nice to get an opportunity like this! I already have the Switch remake of Zelda Link's Awakening, but it's cool that I get to play the original version. My dad really enjoyed that game when he was a kid. I also can't wait for Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons to be added! (Yeah I'm mostly excited about the Zelda games, but I'll probably try out the other games too at some point!)

Like many others, I want to be excited about the news, but they didn't announce enough games that I care about or really enough games in general for this service. So many game boy, and game boy advance games are going to be lost to time and people charging ridiculous sums for them. They never released Pokémon generation 3 Games on 3DS virtual console, I'm curious if they will put them up on the switch instead? That could be interesting. I kind of have my doubts that they are going to do that though.
I wonder if Nintendo will announce anymore game boy games after the 3DS eShop closes at the end of March, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I look forward to playing Metroid Fusion next week. - I really never got into any of the Metroid games, and for some reason the GBA ones seem more approachable to me that either the retro ones or the newer ones. Also, the random announcement out of nowhere makes me more hopeful that GB and GBA releases might be more frequent than previously assumed. One can only hope...

I might purchase NSO+ or whatever it's called for the GBA games. I particularly want to play Fire Emblem 7 on the Switch. But I'm not sure if it's actually worth it. I still have my original copy and play it on my original GBA about once a year.

I don't really care about any of the other games.

I’m glad to see that Nintendo is expanding their classic games options. It’s still not enough to convince me to upgrade to the Expansion pass though. I’ll stick to my normal family membership it does what I need.

To be fair part of my problem is I already most Nintendo consoles (including the retro ones) and own actual copies of most of the games I want to play. It’s great for those who only have more modern consoles though.

Back