• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gameboy and GBA games coming to Switch!

DarthGohan1

TBT Old Timer
Retired Staff
Bells
Chocolate Cake
Wallopoid
Wallopoid
Pavé
Cake
5 Envelopes
Mailbox
Anyone else excited about the news?

It's a pretty small library of games to start but hopefully they'll add more over time.

I'm most excited that they announced the Pokemon TCG game for GBC will be coming to Switch soon as part of this. I'm beyond excited for retro Pokemon TCG online multiplayer!

Any games you're excited to play? Or games that haven't been announced that you hope come soon?

I did see those earlier and I already downloaded the GB one since it only needed an NSO subscription! I'm excited to play Link's Awakening.

I initially thought it sucked having the GBA games under the more expensive subscription, but I guess it makes sense. I don't know if I'm willing to spend 50 dollars a year just for it, but I'll consider when the library expands. I've been meaning to replay The Minish Cap since it's my favorite LoZ game. Hope they add more interesting games since GBA was one of my favorite game eras.

I downloaded it from the eShop last night, and was sad to find it requires Nintendo Online+. The cost of NO+ is a bit outrageous just to play a limited number of N64 and GBA games.

I started a play through of Minish Cap. I am excited for Kirby Tilt N Tumble which is a game I’ve always wanted to play and Magic Mirror which I’m hoping will allow onl8ne play because there is one particular chest that I could never get on the 3DS Ambassador port of the game because it is behind one of those giant blocks that require four Kirby’s to move and the AI refuses to help move it. So now I can finally 100% that game. Also looking forward to Golden Sun.

• Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
  • Wario Land 3
    • Mario Kart Super Circuit
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Oh hell yes.
These are golden, get those if you can. And that NSO+ is just stupid man, just let us buy ****.... I could probably get those games and a gba cheaper lol.

I'm not too excited about what we currently have (nor what they announced for the future). I do like Minish Cap, and having the Pokemon TCG will be great...but I really just want the classic Pokemon games more than anything else. A big part of me thinks they will never actually add those. I could see them selling 3-packs for R/B/Y and G/S/C like they did for the Mario 3D All-Stars. Just to milk the franchise more. But I'd love to be wrong. - Adding all of the classic Pokemon GB and GBA games with full online capabilities and Pokemon Home functionality is a MUST for me. But, I do doubt it.

Pokemon Pinball seems like it might be more reasonable to expect. - I'd like to think they will add one or maybe both of those at some point. I always loved those games.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see if they'll add the Pokemon games to the list now that the 3DS is discontinued, and if they'll have Home compatibility. It's already a real hassle to transfer R/S/E monsters over to the Switch games - would be nice if there was an easier way.

Also curious to see if they'll add TCG 2, even if it goes untranslated.

I'm really looking forward to Superstar Saga and The Minish Cap. I lost my GBA cartridge for Superstar Saga, a game I played multiple times through. I played a little of the remake but it just didn't make me feel the nostalgia like the GBA version. I'm also looking forward to Golden Sun, though I feel I would holdout on getting it until Lost Age gets released.

Last edited:
I never had the expansion pack back when I did have NSO, I think it's cool as an option to add the GB/A libraries onto the Switch but I'm not really affected by this because the Wii U & 3DS can play all my favorite games save for NH
I already have both versions of Superstar Saga but I do enjoy seeing another system support one of my favorite games.

i'm not getting the plus subscription until i see the gba library fill more out. Im looking forward to them adding pokemon emerald or crash bandicoot.

I just finished the Cave of Flames and got the fist Sword upgrade in Minish Cap. With the ability to rewind the game, I plan on trying to play a 100% game with no deaths or game overs.

Minish Cap is probably a top 3 Zelda game for me, personally...so I'm glad that people who never got to play it will have more accessibility to it. I think Minish Cap is my favorite thing about the announcement, tbh.

I really hope the GBA port of Puyo Pop Fever, Pokemon Ruby, PMD Red Rescue, Sonic Advance (all 3) come, and with the Advance Wars Reboot coming soon, I can see Nintendo releasing the OG Advance Wars as well.

I know this topic is old, but I've been away. I'm kind of lowkey curious what kind of controller they would create for the gameboy/gba if they were to make one lol. You know like how they made a Switch wireless controller for the nes, snes, genesis, and n64 so far.

I just want a cheaper plus sub option without the dlcs😔 However I am pretty excited for the LOZ oracles games!

I am surprised they didn't even add Pokemon GBA games (FireRed, Sapphire for example) I am not too excited for them, but it is a good step in the right direction. I just hope they'll add DS games next.

I am surprised they didn't even add Pokemon GBA games (FireRed, Sapphire for example) I am not too excited for them, but it is a good step in the right direction. I just hope they'll add DS games next.
TBH I think at least the Game Boy-era ones will be added fairly soon, given that a) it’s Pokémon Day in a couple of weeks and there’s usually a Pokémon Presents on that day, and b) the N64 app is getting both Pokémon Stadium games at some point this year (and there’s been some recent buzz about a new version of the JP Expansion Pack trailer no longer having the disclaimer about transferring games, so unless it’s a genuine oversight it’s pretty likely they’re going to be compatible)

I think the GBA ones will be added later on, given the leaked build of the NSO app from last year has it as a feature, but given they also link to the GameCube Pokémon games (and there’s some Pokémon that are iirc unavailable outside of it, although they may be in Emerald?) it’s possible they’re being held off until that actually happens, if it ever happens (going off of Nintendo’s track record with rereleasing GameCube stuff)

Back