• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Final Fantasy General Discussion

Bumping this super old thread, but no sense in making another FF general discussion when there already is one.

As for me, I've never actually played a Final Fantasy game before. I've heard of the series many times but never thought anything of it, but after looking into the series it looks like it's right up my alley. I plan on playing Origins on PS1 first. Now before you say its old and archaic I actually love old style rpgs. I've already played several early 90's SNES rpgs and absolutely loved them. I also prefer to play the older games before getting spoiled by newer mechanics.

I've heard that the games in recent years have drastically changed and some fans love the change while others hate it. For those who have played both old and new games from the series, what is your take on the latest games?

Late reply, but 14 and 15 don’t do much for me. 14’s hud has way too much going on and 15 is a mediocre mess. 16 looks promising though.

Aside from those two I’ve played some of 5, 6, 7 (plus the remake), 8, 9, 10, and 12. The only one I’ve beaten is 4. I definitely lean towards the turn based combat of earlier games more. It’s what I’m prefer in JRPGs. My least favorite of the older games is 10. The unskipable cutscenes and drawn out animations make it a chore to play. The music is also not that remarkable.

I’m currently playing through my new favorite entry in the series. Blocky graphics aside, 8 has held up well. I like the sci-fi elements and the unique magic system. They actually made stealing from enemies an interesting mechanic. The music is fantastic too. The overworld themes are atmospheric, while the battle themes really ramp things up. It’s a shame the remaster didn’t update the songs. I’d love to hear an orchestrated rendition of the game’s boss battle theme.

Back