• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Double south river mouths: Do you love them or hate them and why?

I have one west mouth and one south mouth, but I wouldn’t have been upset if I got 2 south mouths. I only have control over one third of the map anyways.

My mind went to a totally different place when I read some of the comments so I appreciate the OP adding "river" between the words "south" and "mouth". Good lord. I need to get my mind out of the gutter lmao!!!

I don't like them because it causes such narrow strips on the outer edges of each river mouth. I wouldn't know how to decorate around that! So actually my only strict requirement when choosing my map was not to have two southern river exits. I got a map with one east and one south exit, and it works very well because my eastern exit is almost at the top of my map, and most of the beach above it is taken up by large rocks. So I have a pretty much unbroken east AND west coast, which I love.

Soime ideas for the people who are struggling with the small strips of land on the edges of a double south river.

I got around the small strip on land on the side by make one mostly water (my dock/pier) and I curved the river on the other side to give it more space for my campsite.

2020041422242900-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

EdBNLZMU0AAqoof.jpg

I have double south facing rivers. It is tricky with the two thin strips of land on either side, but I managed to make a farmer's market with one and a butterfly garden on the other. Plenty of space to be creative, unless you want to put buildings or do heavy terraforming.

I don't really hate them but I avoided picking a layout with double south facing rivers cause I don't have any idea how to work around the thin strips of land on the edges. I like symmetry though ;)

Before launch I planned to pick a double south river mainly because south facing waterfalls were my favourite in New Leaf. But I realised I didn’t like it as much as a river exit on an island. The thin strips on each side also seemed hard to landscape and might steer me into making a symmetrical island, which I didn’t want. I didn’t rule it out completely but I ended up choosing my map based on fruit/airport colour and location. This is before I knew there were other factors to reset for such as peninsula size, rock sizes, pier sizes, flowers, etc. which I think are more important than the river exits.

depends on what you're planning to do with your island - it does force some symmetry and while some people dislike that, lots love it; it is pretty hard to work with when you have two thin strips but ive found lots of islands with them and they were pretty creative with how they decorated

My island has the double south river mouths, and I definitely don't mind them, nor would I want to change them if given the option. I haven't felt it restrict what I've been able to do with my island.

I reset for two south-facing river exits on my second island. It's difficult trying to plan a layout around a west/east facing one, whereas the southern ones can look pretty without a river attached rather than awkward.

I have two south river mouths and I like it. As many have said, it's symmetrical and I think it worked great for my island's layout. Here's a most recent picture of my layout.

2020071619511200-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

I forgot one thing that made me want two mouths down south (*giggle*). I wanted a main beach area, decorated to look like it was heavily frequented, and the east and west strips with a more deserted and natural feel to them. It felt a lot easier to do that this way.

i hate them, but i’ve put 300+ hours into my island and love my villagers too much to reset 🥺 and i mean... i can make them work lol

Back