• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

Does anyone find it kind of silly when...

mallywa

Bells
Mailbox
Cake
Small Mailbox
3 Envelopes
User Title Color Change
People say things like, "OMG, finally got rid of that jerk Monique!" or "I hate Angus, he's so mean!" like... you realize the next snooty/cranky/etc villager you get is going to have the same personality? That most likely they'll all have the same dialogue and treat you similarly and everything? What's the shame in just saying you don't think your villager is cute? I've seen this kind of thing said a lot of times by AC fans, and it always strikes me as kind of odd, lol. I mean, I certainly understand that not everyone is a fan of certain personality types, but from experience, it's not usually actually about that; it's just that they don't like the particular villager. Idk, just kind of a thought~

Yeah, it always weird to me as well. The reason I didn't like Paula is becaus she moved in my perfect cherry tree when I started the game, I didn't even harvest the tree. I tried my best to kick her out afterwards.

I hate it though when I'm talking to a villager and think, "this is what ____ said not to long ago." :c

I hate that too! As I'm transitioning in more new villagers, though, I'm getting used to it. It more annoys me when I have two of the same villager type in my town at the same time, saying almost the exact same thing. Like, I'll go over to Bluebear and she'll do the whole "ARE YOU CLONED?" thing and then go over to Dotty and she'll be like "AM I STUCK IN A TIME LOOP?" :p

Agree, I think some people don't realise that all villagers of the same personality are identical personality wise and are just projecting their feelings about the villagers appearance. I do wish there was more variety in personality and dialogue though.

Agreed. I would love subsets of personalities or even just more personalities in general.

I'd love it if there was more villager dialogue too, it gets so tedious sometimes hearing the same things over and over. I also miss some of the dialogie from other games - for example, when the normal villagers used to talk about Moppina.
I guess the way a villager looks does affect the way you feel about them, though - I have two crankies, Fang and Apollo, and I like Fang a lot more than I like Apollo even though they're the same personality type. Similarly, I have Marshal and my friend has Tex, who are both smug, and I love Marshal and his mannerisms so much more than I like Tex doing the same things.

Last edited:
It's really weird how they get characterised in the brain sometimes. Like, I have Tipper and Mallary in my town. I realized early on that they're basically the same thing; I've had them give me exactly the same dialogue and send me identical letters. And yet Tipper irritates me and Mallary seems like a total ladybro. If anything I ought to be more annoyed at Mallary since she moved in through someone's streetpass and took up the spot I'd intended for a lighthouse!

It's all in the mind....

Yeah I get ya 100% on that. I don't remember it being that repetitive in the original but that's probably just because I was younger so didn't notice? I still think Nintendo kinda dropped the ball though, if they want us to like villagers that are less "cute" they should at least make them original. Why should I keep an ugly peppy when I can have a cute one who says the EXACT same things? xD Granted, nostalgia plays a role in who I like not just who's cute. But some people didn't play other AC games so then that doesn't apply as much to them unless they happen to have a pet who looks like a villager... >>; But I'm hoping no one's pet looks like Moose...

As much as some may say otherwise, people are shallow.
Just like in real life, beautiful or good-looking peeps always get away with being snooty jerks.
Where as someone who is ugly inside and out gets treated much worse because well... there's nothing to like about them :(

I'll admit i move people out because I dont think they're cute. -sigh- But I dislike Muffy for moving in right infront of my only bridge. (I just recently restarted)

I don't know that it's always "good" looks though -- I find that some personalities fit the design better than others. For example; Beau was in my town, he's a lazy type which normally I like but his design (while cute) just made him seem to me like a slacker or stoner. I hated talking to him and moved him out the moment he said yes. And Lionel flirting with me creeps me out because he's like a foxy grandpa. It seems inappropriate to me. not overthinking it too much here, right....?

Last edited:
I totally know what you mean... It's like I got Rizzo to leave, but now I want Bruce! I haven't met Bruce in previous ac games, but he just looks cute! Especially cuter than Rizzo! They are the same personalities though. I suppose people want to establish a better relationships with the cuter ones, and then their dialogue may be slightly different? idk xD

I find it silly but most people seem to care about the look of the villager rather than the personality. If the villager is cute/attractive people are more apt to like them. Personally, I like all the animals no matter what they look like or their personality type.

Personally, I find some personalities a bit more dramatic or less dramatic in certain animals.
Like Grizzly (whom I love) is a very nice cranky to me. But I noticed that when I talked to Croque, he was meaner to me than grizzly was.

Both are cranky, yet grizzly is nice while Croque is ... Not really..

And Whitney, she's a very nice, and kind snooty to me, while pancetti was a stuck up b****

I didn't like Fang and Kyle because they are wolves...
I really don't like wolves because of a book I read about werewolves... and also because of Skyrim.
Kyle also moved in on top of my fruit trees, when they were the only trees I had of that type of fruit, and his house was close to mine and really ugly.

Last edited:
I agree with it to a point, it is a little odd, considering they have set personalities, but there's also how the villager behaves that needs to be taken into consideration. I love snooties, they're my favorite personality. But I loath Opal. I don't loath her for her looks, she's not THAT bad looking, but I hate her for a lot of different reasons. For one, she always shows up in my AC town someway or another. She did it in PG, WW, CF and I can almost guarantee I'll get her pretty soon 'by random' in my NL town too. She's a disease that just won't go away. And her house placement is always awful, and she usually always makes my other villagers upset.
I have Monique, and maaaaany people dislike her, but I LOVE her. Her house is in a perfect place, she resembles Marilyn Monroe, she's a cat, she's snooty, and she brings me great nostalgia, considering she was one of my starting neighbors in my first town ever in ACPG.

I think that disliking a villager can not only stem from their looks, but personal experience with the villager as well.

Idk I always disliked Paula (not because of how she looks mind you) so I bullied her and she said she was moving but then changed her mind (and I didn't reset 'cause I didn't know my stuff back then) and now I'm trying to build my friendship with her so she'll leave but since I was bullying her now she's really snappy and annoying. And she sold me a fake painting the other day (all my other villagers have sold me genuine ones)..
So yeah I kind of have my reasons for disliking her so I understand when others feel that way about their villagers :>

As much as some may say otherwise, people are shallow.
Just like in real life, beautiful or good-looking peeps always get away with being snooty jerks.
Where as someone who is ugly inside and out gets treated much worse because well... there's nothing to like about them :(

Exactly, it's just like human relationships. Most people are more likely to put up with crap from someone they find attractive/cute sadly! Or even perceive it completely differently. :) What can come off as charming said by one person could come off as obnoxious said by someone else. Such is humanity.

I hate that too! As I'm transitioning in more new villagers, though, I'm getting used to it. It more annoys me when I have two of the same villager type in my town at the same time, saying almost the exact same thing. Like, I'll go over to Bluebear and she'll do the whole "ARE YOU CLONED?" thing and then go over to Dotty and she'll be like "AM I STUCK IN A TIME LOOP?" :p

Oh god, the worst was when I had Cousteau and Ribbot in my village. It was like Ribbot was just Cousteau dressed as a robot! Very weird...

I definitely prefer personality over looks in my villagers...some of the cutest ones have crappy personalities...and I too, feel the personalities are way toned down and the like types all say the same things...it gets booooring

- - - Post Merge - - -

wanted to add that I actually like the homely looking villagers that have the smug, lazy or grumpy personality types.

Personally, I find some personalities a bit more dramatic or less dramatic in certain animals.
Like Grizzly (whom I love) is a very nice cranky to me. But I noticed that when I talked to Croque, he was meaner to me than grizzly was.

Both are cranky, yet grizzly is nice while Croque is ... Not really..

And Whitney, she's a very nice, and kind snooty to me, while pancetti was a stuck up b****

Totally agree! I have 3 smug villagers and Zell always seems to come out with the more homoerotic, "mischeivious with guy friends", "let's be roomies", "I'll call you shorty" etc comments, and Ed and Marshal both do the hetero, forget which girl they sent flowers to and creep out Fauna/Muffy in conversations. ~ Though Marshal still comes out with all the roomie comments too.

I thought it depended on how close friend you were to them (seems so in greetings), but of the 3 I've only gotten Ed's pic. So I think all the personalities have a random split.

Last edited:
Back