• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anyone else crochet?

So,, y'all remember that blanket I started working on about a year ago?!

I finished it! It's for my boyfriend, so when I put it on him.. he told me it wasn't wide enough (which I did not think about this, or this happening at all, really).. so now I have to make a second piece to stitch into the first one. I'm SO GLAD I hadn't added a border to it yet, I'm gonna wait until I'm done with both pieces, stitch them together, then add a border. I have a deadline-ish though.. My boyfriend wants to take it with him to Florida because the hotel rooms get really cold. So I have 20 days to finish this blanket.. wish me luck! ;w;

I really wanna learn, I think the knots just stress me out.
I tried to do a design omce.before and the wool just kept coming off,
Maybe i cpuld show the stuff I was using for some advice?
I got the mini crochet boxes with instructions and theyre just not being used.

my sister crochets! i think i have images of the stuff she's made me. various blankets and a few beanies.
wOREffq.jpeg

9V0COkl.jpeg

yoqGMTl.jpeg

LrJjwFF.jpeg

lbd1ml0.jpeg

u9IxzV4.jpeg

v5vyYOG.jpeg

she's super good at it. i gave her yarn about 2 years ago to make me a cardigan and she hasnt gotten around to it, but she's busy and i know she'll do it eventually. im excited for it.
i'd like to learn to knit.

I started crocheting over a year ago, but at the time, I wasn’t expecting myself to get “hooked” on this hobby. What happened was that I was simply scrolling through Amazon when I stumbled upon a listing for a “Pierre the Penguin” kit by The Woobles. The packaging was bright and colorful, so I bought it immediately.

I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I was making Pierre. I figured crocheting him would be a one-and-done thing; I just finish the kit and go on with life. Once I was done with Pierre, I suddenly began to miss manipulating yarn with a hook. Now I wanted to crochet more! That ominous warning at the bottom of the package was right all along…

So I bought another Woobles kit (Nico the Cat), to learn more advanced techniques, a set of crochet hooks and other essentials, and more yarn. I crocheted a lot of amigurumi and sometimes a few hats. Since then, I haven’t had a lot of motivation to crochet because of time constraints and running out ideas for what to make. I’ll get back to it though. One day, very, very soon…
IMG_0273.jpeg

I really wanna learn, I think the knots just stress me out.
I tried to do a design omce.before and the wool just kept coming off,
Maybe i cpuld show the stuff I was using for some advice?
I got the mini crochet boxes with instructions and theyre just not being used.
Get a Woobles kit. It’s worth it—trust me!

I can't wait until I'm finished with grad school and have time to actually crochet again 😭 I have a sunflower granny square cardigan I've made a handful of squares for, and I made a pillow last year. I believe that's the most I've crocheted recently. All the posts in this thread are making me jealous!

i started crocheting a while back but i didn't properly get into it until this summer when i actually had the money and spare time to really get into it lol. it's been a super crazy academic year so i haven't had a ton of spare time, but i should be done in a month (what a scary thought) and then i really want to do some more interesting projects! the most recent thing i completed was a few little mesh-style cardigans and boleros for friends' birthdays, and i'm also making some can 'coozies' with a strap for festivals this summer

I learned to crochet back when I was around 9, because my family made me go to ‘Chinese School’ to learn Mandarin on the weekends, and it was 2 hrs of language classes and 1 hr of “elective”. Some of it was traditional Asian cultural stuff, like learning abacus skills, or lion dances, but I chose to do an arts and crafts class which was great:) So after I learned how to crochet, I decided I wanted to make clothes, so I taught myself how to knit from a book.
Years later I did more knitting and by then there were a lot of videos online and I realized I had learned backwards because I had misinterpreted the pictures from the book! (Like every loop was twisted!) So I’m really grateful now for all the learn-to-craft video tutorials that are available online.
Back then, I thought knitting was way cooler because of what variety of stuff I could make with it, but I do think amigurumi are super cute so maybe I should get back into crochet projects.

I like KnitPicks yarn because it’s quality wool for decent prices.
I also love the ravelry community for seeing how people put together different projects in different colors (because I am not great at envisioning that part when I look at a pattern!) and for sharing patterns and projects.

That's cool! I like how the colors look when it's dark. Is there a pattern for it?
Yeah! It’s on Etsy - search “zombie cat crochet pattern”. I got the medium one and it’s about 7-8” tall when finished. I didn’t do the color changes for this one, because I wanted to see how the natural colo4 changes in the yarn would come out. But I plan to do them in my next one.

That's literally so awesome!! I love your stitchwork and I LOVE how the yarn glows in the dark!!
I wish I was that good 😭 I have a hard time counting stitches/rows, and doing magic circles for some reason. But I'm learning more every day! I get discouraged sometimes because despite knowing how to crochet for roughly 4 years.. I'm still not the best at it. Nor do I go very fast when I work. I see sooo many people on FB Reels, Tiktok, Instagram, and even Youtube; go super fast when it comes to working with the yarn.
I think my issue is; I'm left-handed. Nobody has shown me properly how to work with the yarn left-handed so I figured out a way on my own. It's super tedious.. but.. it works!

Compared to how my works looked in 2020,

IMG_6161.jpg

I'd say my work in 2024, looks much cleaner/neater ! And less.. tight/loose in random spots, like in the previous image..

igrFhME.png

ouCdto9.png

In others news, my bestie @Midoriya recently asked me if I could make him Deku's vigilante scarf from MHA! I of course agreed. I bought the materials a few hours ago on Amazon, and I'm super duper excited to start working on it! I also got some more stitch-markers, and some tension rings. I've never owned tension rings for crocheting, so I hope they're able to help me! ;w;

I wish I was that good 😭 I have a hard time counting stitches/rows, and doing magic circles for some reason. But I'm learning more every day! I get discouraged sometimes because despite knowing how to crochet for roughly 4 years.. I'm still not the best at it. Nor do I go very fast when I work. I see sooo many people on FB Reels, Tiktok, Instagram, and even Youtube; go super fast when it comes to working with the yarn.
I think my issue is; I'm left-handed. Nobody has shown me properly how to work with the yarn left-handed so I figured out a way on my own. It's super tedious.. but.. it works!
And this is the part where I spread the word about The Woobles again. The weird thing is, I'm left-handed like you and I've started almost 2 years ago but when I learned to crochet, doing magic circles and all that counting stuff... clicked with me after I did it only a few times. I don't know if it's because of how my brain is wired or the videos itself.
But just in case it's the videos, The Woobles has tutorials on the basics for both righties and lefties (including the magic ring, counting stitches/rows, and holding the yarn) and those videos have helped me a lot when I was getting started. Here, I'm giving you a link to the left-handed tutorials so you can get started now: https://thewoobles.com/pages/left-handed-crochet-tutorials
I hope these videos help out. The Woobles specialize in catering to newbie crocheters, so their videos should be very clear for a 4-year crocheter.
And I feel for you! Watching those super-fast crocheters almost got me intimidated! Luckily I don't watch a lot of videos anymore. Maybe you should cut down on social media and take it slowly with your yarn. Too much social media videos can be unhealthy, you know.
Oh wait, I just noticed that 17-and-under users are in your DNI...whoops...I try to respect DNIs when they don't allow people like me but I couldn't help but post this...does that mean I can't talk in this thread anymore?
And I always say this as motivation: You gotta believe! :)

Last edited:
And this is the part where I spread the word about The Woobles again. The weird thing is, I'm left-handed like you and I've started almost 2 years ago but when I learned to crochet, doing magic circles and all that counting stuff... clicked with me after I did it only a few times. I don't know if it's because of how my brain is wired or the videos itself.
But just in case it's the videos, The Woobles has tutorials on the basics for both righties and lefties (including the magic ring, counting stitches/rows, and holding the yarn) and those videos have helped me a lot when I was getting started. Here, I'm giving you a link to the left-handed tutorials so you can get started now: https://thewoobles.com/pages/left-handed-crochet-tutorials
I hope these videos help out. The Woobles specialize in catering to newbie crocheters, so their videos should be very clear for a 4-year crocheter.
And I feel for you! Watching those super-fast crocheters almost got me intimidated! Luckily I don't watch a lot of videos anymore. Maybe you should cut down on social media and take it slowly with your yarn. Too much social media videos can be unhealthy, you know.
Oh wait, I just noticed that 17-and-under users are in your DNI...whoops...I try to respect DNIs when they don't allow people like me but I couldn't help but post this...does that mean I can't talk in this thread anymore?
And I always say this as motivation: You gotta believe! :)
Oh! My DNI, that’s normally when it pertains to like, really personal 1-1 conversations (for me anyway)! Since this is a public forum, you’re definitely allowed to talk here! I really don’t mind c: We’re talking about crochet, so it’s not like it’s anything super deep xD

I’ve looked at the Woobles site before. I really want to try some of their stuff but I’m unemployed atm and am not making super disposable income >_> But one day, I will definitely try it! I saw they have a shark plushie thing. That’s definitely gonna be first on my list :3 I’ll also take a look at their tutorials! I have a hard time following written instructions and often need visuals so these should be helpful! Thank you! :3

Over the year I've learnt more by watching different Youtube streams and other designers. Found out the line I had going up the Granny Square could be removed by doing it another way.

Found Bag O Day Crochet Youtube Videos and learnt how to make a Flat Crochet blanket using the Suzette Stitch with Chunky Caron Cake yarn. The edges of the blanket are straight. I made a 2nd smaller one for a new baby using Pound of Love. I'm now making Crochet Ripple flat blankets using Premium Bernat Yarn. I tried knitting a Ripple Blanket when I was younger but the stitch count was always off. Completed Ripple Blanket called Stream by the Meadow and started Simple Ripple this month.

@BobRocks20 - I just bought my first Woobles kit! I'm so excited for it to get here ;w; I got My Melody since I loved the custom hook it came with, and I just love Sanrio in general. I really hope they add more Sanrio characters!

In other news, I finished the blanket for my bf. I'll have to edit in pictures once I can get good lighting and stuff. And make it look nice in the picture 😭 I have a few pics I took of it, but the photo doesn't do the piece justice. I'm excited to work on more projects in the future! I've been working on @Midoriya 's scarf commission and it's coming out great so far! I just realized though, it originally looked perfectly straight the first several rows, but when I started working on it today.. I guess my yarn tension was too loose because now the more recent rows look a little wider. ;w; I want it to be perfect but I don't feel like frogging all that yarn back out and redoing it from where I may have made a mistake. -w- But I'm looking forward to my future with crocheting! I'd love to make plushies and sell at flea markets or craft markets! ^_^

edit: blanky pics!

IMG_6315.jpeg
IMG_6318.jpeg

Last edited:
Back