• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you want Nintendo to implement an achievement/trophy system?

Do you want Nintendo to implement an achievement/trophy system?

• Total voters

~Kilza~

Staff
Bells
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
So it's well known that Sony (PlayStation) has trophies and Microsoft (Xbox) and Steam have achievements, but Nintendo has chosen not to implement any kind of achievement/trophy system for their consoles. With the successor to the Switch likely on the horizon, it's worth asking: Do you want Nintendo to implement achievements/trophies, much like Microsoft/Sony/Steam have?

Personally, I'd love to see Nintendo finally add achievements/trophies to their consoles/games! I'm honestly somebody who loves collecting them for games I enjoy, and I'd definitely spend a ton of time collecting them for every Nintendo game possible, lol. I think knowing Nintendo games are more single-player focused also helps, since sometimes it is a pain to look at the achievement/trophy list for a game only to see some of them locked behind multiplayer modes, which...I don't really do outside of Nintendo games, lmao.

I'll also note, do I think it's likely we'll ever get this? No. But it still won't stop me from dreaming of it happening one day, lol.

I’m indifferent, but it would probably be a positive feature to implement!

I appreciate that trophies/achievements improve the experience for a lot of people. I don’t generally try to achieve trophies, so I have trophy notifications turned off, and don’t really think about them.

It might be different for me if it was implemented by Nintendo, because overall I prefer games on the Switch than the PS, so maybe I would work towards them to get more out of the games I enjoy most? As long as you could turn off notifications, it wouldn’t really impact anyone who wasn't working towards the achievements, so imo, it feels like the outcome of implementing an achievement system could only be positive. 🤷‍♀️

Ooh, I'd love it if they did! I find trophy-hunting in games to be really satisfying, but where Nintendo console games are concerned I'm reliant on them having an in-game achievement system to get that experience. It's not a huge wish of mine (when games don't have achievements, I'm fine with making up my own goals for completion) but it's something I'd definitely enjoy seeing.
If I'm not interested in trophies for a particular game, I don't have a problem with just ignoring them/ignoring certain ones I don't want to go after, so for me personally I don't really see a downside to it.

I think Xbox and PlayStation trophies/achievements are really cool and would be a good addition. (it's much better than them taking away free online because Sony and Microsoft don't have it). I always find it fun to complete achievements on Xbox, so it would be fun for them to also be on the new Nintendo console.

I like the idea of achievements and trophies as it gives me something else to work towards, but I'm not someone who forces myself to go for 100% completion so I don't pay much attention to them usually.

Achievements are something I feel are another standard to have for modern-era games though, so I would like to see Nintendo implement this for games on their platform - especially when their counterparts already have them on other platforms (e.g.: Story of Seasons has achievements on Steam, but not on Switch).

I'd like a 'soft' achievement system. I'd love to see games that people 100%. The type of people on my friends list are primarily casual gamers, so if I could see that '100% complete' tag in a corner or so, I'll know it's a game worth looking into.

At the same time, I'd hate for it to wind up like the other consoles/PC, where it becomes a huge part of the 'bragging' community and people 100% every game, including garbage ones. I'd prefer it to be the type of achievement system without a universal leaderboard, and where you can only view you and your friends games, basically.

I prefer not. It promotes competition and adds unnecessary 100% completion goals. I’m already against Mario Kart 8’s 3-star system.

yes.
i enjoy unlocking all achievements and 100%-ing games. you have dedicated hours playing your favourite game and you have something to show for it.

however, on that note, i dont want them to go overboard. games like mario kart have a split fanbase, children, people playing for fun, and speedrunners. im not sure how theyre going to handle putting achievements in mario kart without speedrunners being dissapointed or an increasing amount of broken consoles due to children rage quitting.

although i would like an achievement/trophy system, and i think it would be a good idea, im not sure how nintendo are going to handle it with some games. maybe its best to simply leave it as it is.

I don't care if Nintendo adds an achievement and/or trophy system, I'm not really one to try to earn every trophy and achievement there is, anyway.

While it's fun enough to earn achievements/trophies/etc. on the other consoles and platforms, I'm indifferent about the prospect of Nintendo implementing such a feature on their consoles. I wouldn't mind if they were added in the future, I'd probably even enjoy it, but I also don't mind if they're never added. Whatever Nintendo feel like doing, or not doing, in this regard is fine by me.

Yes, 100%. I had hoped the Switch would introduce an achievement system and was disappointed when it didn't. The lack of achievement system is actually why I don't buy third party games on the Switch. If I can buy the game on a platform with an achievement system, I'll almost always pick that.

I get more out of games with an achievement system than ones that don't. For example, the game I'm working on platinuming at the moment is Samurai Warriors 4-II for PS4. I've 42/54 trophies so far. I completed the story back in June. On a platform without achievements, I'd have considered the game finished and stopped playing by now - especially as I've moved house twice since then (once in July and again in September) so I've not been able to play consistently. Seeing 65% next to that title changes my mindset from "I finished that game" to "there's still more left to do in this one!" I've long completed the story for SW4-II and I'm currently approx 75hrs in. I expect to get another 50-60hrs out of the title while working towards obtaining the platinum.

I wouldn't care. There's only a select few games I have ever gotten 100% of all achievements on in the libraries which do support it, and most of those are visual novels where the only achievements are given out from completing the game in general. But I think it's harmless enough as long as they compliment the design of the game rather than the games being designed with the intent of having a bunch of achievements. If people want to go for achievements, that's perfectly fine.

Really, for the most part, I expect if Nintendo did implement such a system, it would be extremely half-hearted. The achievements for Super Mario Odyssey would be something like "Press A. to jump! :D" or some such superficial nonsense.

No, that's the thing I hate about PC gaming because of Steam. Games should have their own achievement system, it shouldn't be something that comes from game distributors as it inflates the need for bad games a la Steam store and, sadly, the Nintendo store too.

I just don't like the social media-fication of gaming. I don't need a checkmark for owning a game better than regular. I don't want to show off a digital collection on a public profile. Games should be games, not a task within itself. The game itself should offer rewards and a "done" status.

I personally don't care about achievements but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I feel like Nintendo needs to focus on creating a more powerful system instead lol.

I quite like achievements myself and I did get into the habit of trying to 100% a lot of games that I play. Not for bragging rights or competition, which imo is a shallow view that misses the point: I thankfully haven't even seen many completionists who think their achievements make them better than others. The vast majority are just happy for having done a thing, like how we get excited posts here on tbt from people finally catching that one fish or managing to complete a museum exhibit.

For me, it helps motivate me to fully explore a game and push myself to achieve optional challenges which were more difficult than I would normally care for but therefore also very satisfying to complete. It's something fun and satisfying to look back on, and knowing the struggle it's great to see when others achieve things too because it gives a reason to relate and connect. Even for games I haven't actually played myself, I like seeing people proud of what they've done or explaining how they got there.

I wouldn't mind if Nintendo added an achievement system for that reason, I personally don't think I'd be interested in fully completing many of their games (for a lot of them, achievements would likely just boil down to "do this thing you would have done anyway" or "play a lot") but it's harmless and a good way to get some extra enjoyment out of a game aside from simply reaching the end credits.

Last edited:
I’m indifferent on this, but I personally don’t see any harm in implementing this. I’m sure many would enjoy having something like this.

I believe it would be a neat feature as I know a lot of players like going after achievements.
I'll probably go for some, but not for all. I wouldn't mind it as it would probably get me to play more!

This is something I've always imagine them doing, though I wouldn't think Nintendo would do something like this.

Besides, they're already doing something similar to this with Switch Avatars, but in the form of Switch Online.

They've been very behind schedule on this since 2007, so it's about time they get on to doing this, even if it is wishful thinking.

I'm indifferent. I never really cared for or bothered with any of the achievements on the Xbox/PS consoles. I probably wouldn't bother with them on the Switch either. I always managed to get a few by chance, but I just didn't care.

I wouldn't be against it if they did it. As I know there are a lot who do like it, but I just wouldn't take the time. Heck I have a lot of games I never even finished so achievements on a console separated from the actual game would be the last thing on my mind lol.

I do like steam achievements, but for Nintendo to do them would feel... werid.
For one, why would they do it when they could just have it inside the games they make as a side quest like thing?
Secondly, if it is tied to your profile then why wouldn't the digital Nintendo game also transfer to the next console? Like you'd have an achievement displayed in your profile from x years ago but nope you can't play that game you purchased digitally now.

If Nintendo fixed the second, then I'd be all for it.

Back