• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like sequels?

I think videogames are the best medium for sequels. Mechanical polish is… well. It’s at the core of the game. It’s important and other than something like a so bad it’s good kinda game, any of them would be better if they had more mechanical polish. I’m not saying that on its own makes sequels better, however.

I always feel like the first entries of games have a few things going for them: they tend to be working things out which of course means less polished mechanics most of the time, but it also usually means some cohesion in the story/themes/concept before it gets bloated or falls to the sideline. It usually means the level (and moveset) design is wackier, and more unorthodox, and interesting (this is probably the largest point for me- I’ll take level design that is just interesting over anything else any day). Maybe balance is off or some mechanic is off, but it’s something I can forgive if the original game has that heart which usually gets lost or watered down in lieu of polish.

That’s the thing with sequels. The first entry has to try and establish something great, the first entry has to explore so many more ideas during development, and you get special stuff from that. Sequels might technically improve things, but I find they’re a lot more scattershot in terms of committing to a direction or establishing themselves or taking risks.

With movies this gets even worse. Greatly prefer standalone movies, especially after the horrific attempts from every studio to make cinematic universe. There’s no straight mechanical improvement equivalent, and you even get things like technically worse CGI instead. You sometimes get different directors, worse cinematography, mischaracterisation, etc. There isn’t at least an easy out there, as opposed to mechanical polish in vidya

I’d like to say though, interestingly, Nintendo has sometimes had the opposite trajectory where they play it safe with level design in the first entry to polish anything else, then amp it up in a sequel or DLC. I’ve noticed it even in games they didn’t make but publish. It’s kinda interesting that I feel so many devs go the other way. To be fair this was also more of a thing in the old days where people had lower standards for mechanical polish and there were fewer established design conventions. And I prefer older games, go figure.

Generally, I despise sequels. It's not often that they add something to a film.

The only sequel I can think of which I prefer to the original is Secret of the Ooze.

Case by case scenario really, like if its for something like twewy absoultely, but if its something like one off such as pandora's tower or the last story i wouldn't really think its necessary.

Back