• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you collect K.K.'s secret songs?

Cowplant

Bells
For those who don't know, a secret song is a song that can only be obtained by requesting it from KK Slider. He will not play them randomly. Normally, 3 obtainable secret songs are introduced in each game as well as 3 unobtainable secret songs. The unobtainable secret songs can only be heard when you mess up a request and you don't get a copy of them after the performance. The unobtainable songs become the secret songs in the next game. Now that we're all on the same page...

Did you guys know about this feature beforehand? And if so, do you care about getting the secret songs? How do you find out about them? (Do you look it up? Or do you look for hints in game?)

Honestly, I've been playing Animal Crossing for years and I never knew about the secret songs until recently and I've had a lot of fun collecting them! Nookipedia mentions that the intended way to hear about them is to hear them being played in villagers' houses or through word of mouth, but as someone who doesn't really remember what my villagers have playing in their houses or heard any Animal Crossing YouTubers or bloggers talk about these songs, I've just been looking them up and then requesting them afterwards. I've been tossing around the idea of maybe not looking them up for New Horizons or the next entry, however, and maybe trying to get them the intended way and seeing if that's any fun, so I'm curious to see how you guys handle it.

I collected them for a bit in New Horizons, along with the rest of his songs. I wasn’t using them for anything though and they were just taking up space in storage, so I got rid of them. I can always request them from K.K. again if I ever want/need them, so I’m not really bothered with collecting them or any of his songs anymore.

I think the secret songs are very cool, though! I’ve always found out about them through other players, so it’s interesting that they’re intended to be discovered through villager/npc dialogue and music playing in villagers‘ houses. Maybe I’ll aim to find out about them that way in the next game, if they’re included.

Yes, I've always collected every song in every Animal Crossing game I played. I like having a full music player and lots of choices of songs. And the secret songs are frequently quite good, as well. One of my favorites is "Drivin'."

they were just taking up space in storage
I didn't think they took up any room if they were in the music player. And then all music players can access the same library of songs once you put the song into one of them.

I can always request them from K.K. again
I also thought they were all orderable from the catalog, even the secret ones, other than the birthday one, but maybe that varies from game to game.

I didn't think they took up any room if they were in the music player. And then all music players can access the same library of songs once you put the song into one of them.
I’m gonna be so real with you, I actually never thought about storing them in a music player, LOL. I completely forgot that you could do that and that you can have more than just the song you want to play in a music player at any given time. 😅 Probably would’ve been easier to do that than throwing them out, but it wasn’t a full collection anyways, so I’m not bothered. Thank you for the reminder though, will definitely keep my songs in a music player if I ever decide to reorder the collection one day!

I also thought they were all orderable from the catalog, even the secret ones, other than the birthday one, but maybe that varies from game to game.
None of the secret songs are orderable in New Horizons sadly.

Ah, my mistake about the orderable ones, then. I'm glad to have explained about the music players, though, I hope that information is useful to you in the future. :)

Meh...I never cared about getting the secret songs. It makes no difference, it's the same thing as getting any regular song.

I collect songs that I like to listen to, and I also collect some songs to hang on walls for decoration.

I just collect all the songs. It doesn't take up space and I like to have the variety. And I knew it played songs that you can't get when you mess up a request but I didn't know they became real songs in the next game.

imo K.K.'s secret songs are some of the best ones! Totaka's Song, the Beatles homage of "Two Days Ago", the chill vibes of "My Place", the melancholic music box of "Stale Cupcakes", the weird and dreamlike "Hypno K.K", the happy-go-lucky "K.K. Stroll" and the not in any way Mario Kart Rainbow Road-style jazz-fusion of "Drivin"

Not to mention the cameos of older AC songs: (part of) GC's title theme, the Cherry Blossom theme from DnM+, the Animal Island theme and the theme from the city

the next batch seems like it's going to be the best yet: WW's title theme (imo still the best AC title theme), a city pop number, and a doo-wop one. One of the things that's making me go "bring on the next game in the series!"

Yes, I always request the secret songs first. Since most of the song names are available on the net, I know the names to request them first before request songs missing from my collection.

Back