• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

[deleted]

Ngl online is stressful so I see where you're coming from, in my opinion I think online is good to play with friends when they are elsewhere but playing with strangers online is awkward anyway and honestly playing a game like animal Crossing is very calming, anyway thank you for sharing

I'm not a fan of playing online either, I find it awkward and stressful. I much prefer playing alone

I'm the opposite now, I don't care at all to play single player games, I'd much rather just watch a lets play then.
Not sure when that switched for me, but I suppose even single player games felt like co op games growing up because I'd almost always be playing with my friends, or around family but now I don't care to play them myself it feels lonely I suppose, and like a waste of time, it's more relaxing to watch a lets play, and if I'm gonna play something I want the progress I do to hold weight, which doesn't happen in single player games cause once you've beaten it it's over.

I think the only exception is The Binding of Isaac, which I 100% everything pre repentance DLC, and I'm playing again now to complete all of the new content, although it does have co op so I suppose it doesn't count as a single player game, although I haven't played it in co op.

Even growing up multiplayer games dominated for me, and my friends.
Bomberman, Super Monkey Ball, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Smash Bros, Bubble Bouble, Pokemon, Counter Strike, Half Life, 007, TimeSplitters, Tekken, Mario Kart, Soulcalibur, Dragon Ball Budokai, Dragon Ball Tenkaichi, Worms World Party, WarCraft 3, Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic, Diablo, Rayman R, Crash Bash, Habbo Hotel, Runescape etc, etc.
There have been some single player games announced that I'm interested in for the sake of nostalgia, that I'll probably play for that,
Crash Bandicoot 4, and the new Ratchet & Clank game.
Jesus christ I feel old looking at the release dates for some of the games I mentioned, the dates feel like it were just yesterday.. My head is still stuck in 2004

Last edited:
Ngl online is stressful so I see where you're coming from, in my opinion I think online is good to play with friends when they are elsewhere but playing with strangers online is awkward anyway and honestly playing a game like animal Crossing is very calming, anyway thank you for sharing
I used to make friends last year on AC, but sadly that didn't turn out to be really well. I think I maybe mentioned this in several threads, but lets just say it wasn't all that good.

Don't worry! I don't classify myself as a gamer but I prefer single player games. The only people I play with in multiplayer games are my family and friends. But for the majority of the time, I just play alone. I find online competitive games only bring out the worse in people. Not all of them are like that but a lot are and it blows. I don't want to be around that negative energy.

Gamers always have labels to tell you what you can and can’t do. It’s a bit ridiculous. I play some games online competitively, but sometimes it’s nice to take a break and play solo. I play mostly sports games, and those are competitive in general, but I don’t have an issue with games that aren’t like that. I don’t really classify as a gamer. I’m not even a fan of labels. The thing with labels is that people will try so hard to fit in a certain label. I’d say just be true to yourself and do what makes you happy. Don’t try to fit yourself in a certain label of what you should or shouldn’t be. I’ve met my fair share of trolls online. I even keep my gender a secret when online sports gaming because I’d get private messages telling me to go back in the kitchen the minute they find out I’m a female. It’s really not fair in my opinion. Some of the people that do play competitively are not the people you’d want to hang out with anyway. They just get high off bullying other people and it’s not funny.

No worries at all, 98% of my gaming time is dedicated to single player games. Online game kinda suck, I've played Overwatch alot for the first 2 years, it was truly an toxic experience, so I truly get why its not for all people.

Play what makes you happy.

Most of my favourite games are singleplayer RPGs. There's just something to be able to take your own time and pace a story according to your own needs without the need to either be online or search for other players online. Just like with a great book.

Also as a naturally shy person the multiplayer aspect of games is a two sided sword. Yes, on the one hand I go out of my way to connect to other people and I've met some really awesome peeps over the years through games like Animal Crossing or trading needs in Pokémon. But on the other hand the "online community" in more competitive games like Ark:Survival Evolved or Rust can be straight up atrocious and you can get some really nasty messages.

My advice: play what makes you happy and if you're not harming anyone (which includes yourself and your life's mental or physical health or any social/academic/work related aspect!) you're golden.

I'm the same way, always have been, and always will be.

I really don't have any appreciation for games like CoD, Fortnite, League of Legends, PUBG, Apex Legends, Destiny, Overwatch, etc. It seems like there is always some "hot" game to be playing, and I can just never be bothered with any of them. I don't hate the concept of online gaming entirely. I do enjoy gaming with friends from time to time...and I can even be fairly competitive when I do that. But, my bread and butter as a gamer has always been deep single player experiences. I like to leave a game with a thought or feeling that I didn't have before I played it. I like to experience something. And I like to spend way too long completing collectibles and side quests. Lol.

I also mainly play single player games, but one of the reasons why I don't play those online multiplayer games with voice chat is because I'm a girl and I don't want to be hounded with the "omg a girl" and other less polite comments I'll most likely get from the majority of male gamers. Maybe one day I'll try it but right now I guess maybe I'm just not confident enough to do that.

I've already gotten bullied on random multiplayer games that were text only because I chose a "girl" name. An example is pokemonshowdown, which I know is already plagued with crappy people to begin with, but I found that when I choose a "girl" username I got negative comments (mainly centered around my gender) way more than when I had a more gender neutral name.

Very relatable.
The only "online gaming" I like are those games where you play by yourself, but you see other real players on the same map/area as you. Of course the game I am thinking of you don't have to interact with the other players and you can block requests from them as well. I just think it is nice to see other real players in the world even though you don't interact with them. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this honestly.
For actual playing with others, I just do that with my spouse and his friend once in a blue moon. Beyond that, I just do single player games because that is what I enjoy. Plus I don't think others would like playing a game with me. Apparently I am "slow" lol. And I am also one of those people who like to click on every NPC in existence to read what they have to say. Drives my spouse nuts lol.
I am definitely use to playing solo and that was the way it was when I was a kid as well. In fact back then, playing video games together meant me and my friends sit together with our gameboys playing our games with no link cable and casually looking over the other's shoulder lol.

Back