• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Crossover Villagers? Will they Return?

Rex of Elysium

Bells
Right now, the Zelda villagers are not in New Horizons and are exclusive to New Leaf. But with the re-addition of the Sanrio villagers,, I think they will be coming bacl

Wolf Link and Ganon would easily find a home on my island, along with Epona (who should be changed to Uchi instead of Peppy) and Medli. I think they will be released later this year, as this is the 35th anniversary of the Zelda series. I could see them being released alongside Breath of the Wild 2 or this year as part of the anniversery.

Also, the Splatoon and Monster Hunter villagers.

What are your thoughts? Do you think they will return, and if you do, when?

I don't think they'll return but I wouldn't mind if they did. I would really prefer entirely new ones though if I'm honest

I sincerely doubt it, but I would love if they did. I have a Wolf Link amiibo, but I never got to use it in NL cuz I didn't have a new 3DS that could scan it. So it would be great to one day meet W. Link in an AC game.

And if they bring them back, I might have to buy a Toon Link amiibo, Medli is like my dream girl lol

Since they brought back Sanrio villagers, I am leaning more towards the possiblity they will bring the Zelda villagers back, maybe coinciding with the release of BOTW2. Unfortunately Nintendo didn't even acknowledge the 35th anniversary of TLOZ.

Unfortunately Nintendo didn't even acknowledge the 35th anniversary of TLOZ.
They did at E3, but they also basically said "we weren't able to plan any celebrations last year due to COVID, so you're not getting anything for it other than a limited time only Game & Watch"... which potentially means they're not going to reissue the 30th anniversary amiibo that the Zelda crossover villagers were linked to. But idk, maybe when BOTW2 comes out next year.

There's empty space in the game's code that corresponds to the crossover villagers, so I think the idea is for them to return at some point. But it's all ultimately linked to whether these amiibo get rereleased, or if there's new related amiibo coming out... and I'm not 100% sure that's happening anytime soon. Damn you, COVID.

When i played ACNL i never had the chance to get the Zelda amiibo crossovers, i would have loved to have Epona in my town. I hope they do bring them back!

I don't know if Nintendo has any history with re-releasing old amiibo figures, but I think that part of it makes it seem unlikely, unfortunately. I think the Sanrio villagers were a different scenario in that they were easier/cheaper to reproduce because they are cards instead of figures.

I don’t know if I like the crossover villagers. It’s similar to the fact that Link, Villager, and Isabelle are in Mario Kart. They just don’t look right. I didn’t have a problem with the Sanrio characters as they are somewhat unique, but the crossover Zelda characters look out of place for me. It’s weird seeing Epona the horse in an Animal Crossing game. I don’t mind if the crossover characters are on someone else’s island, but they definitely wouldn’t be on my island.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I like the crossover villagers. It’s similar to the fact that Link, Villager, and Isabelle are in Mario Kart. They just don’t look right. I didn’t have a problem with the Sanrio characters as they are somewhat unique, but the crossover Zelda characters look out of place for me. It’s weird seeing Epona the horse in an Animal Crossing game. I don’t mind if the crossover characters are on someone else’s island, but they definitely wouldn’t be on my island.
Honestly, I think the Crossover ones are better than 99% of the actual list of villagers. Same with the Mario Kart ones. I feel each is stylized into the game's art style, but still look familiar enough to tel who they are based on.

Ehh, I'm not really into the crossover villagers. Sanrio ones are okay but i'm not a fan of the other. I think if some of them had full makeovers and different skins then MAYBE i would be into them more. I just don't find any of them to be cute. However I wouldn't be upset if they added them and it would be unique to see them and i think people could do a lot if they had like a zelda themed island it would be great.

Back