• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Creepiest things about this game?

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
I know there's a lot of fan theories about the Animal Crossing series as a whole, like that your character is dead and the island represents the afterlife, your mom is leaving letters and gifts at your grave etc. But what about New Horizons, individually? Personally I haven't come across anything creepy in the game...but have any of you?

Oh nothing much, just this absolutely terrifying ghost lady
acnhghost1.jpg
acnhghost2.jpg

I know there's a lot of fan theories about the Animal Crossing series as a whole, like that your character is dead and the island represents the afterlife, your mom is leaving letters and gifts at your grave etc. But what about New Horizons, individually? Personally I haven't come across anything creepy in the game...but have any of you?
What about that one particular wallpaper where every time you turn the light off and on some ghost gets closer.

I also know some creepy dream islands you can visit, but this is about the regular game.

The first thing I can think of is the fake haunted Redd art - namely the paintings freak me out.
image0.jpg

Hellooo. Are you sleeping?

I remember the fake graceful painting has a spooky humanesque shaped stain on the back or something. No thank you, haha.

Oh wow! I never even noticed that! How did you find her?
I was just testing wallpapers for that accent wall window illusion thing & I noticed there was a creepy looking figure peering through the blinds. She's not staying, that's for sure.

I was just testing wallpapers for that accent wall window illusion thing & I noticed there was a creepy looking figure peering through the blinds. She's not staying, that's for sure.
I just looked at this wallpaper and I hate to be the bearer of bad news; that's a hanging light bulb and not a ghost, sadly. 😔

I don't know how this happened but I went into another account and they had a house with a bathroom in the back room and there was no radio music, just a constant "ooh"-like sound. It sounded sort of like "meditation music" but I didn't know where it was coming from or WHY and it was really creepy. Weirdest and most eerie thing I have experienced in new horizons.

I don't know how this happened but I went into another account and they had a house with a bathroom in the back room and there was no radio music, just a constant "ooh"-like sound. It sounded sort of like "meditation music" but I didn't know where it was coming from or WHY and it was really creepy. Weirdest and most eerie thing I have experienced in new horizons.
oh that is a sound effect you can get through the DLC. They have others that aren't scary like forest sounds.

These are all great notes to take for my island! The first thing I always think of are the haunted art pieces of course, those are classics.

Isn't there dialogue where Lazy villagers break the fourth wall and talk about how they're in a video game? What the heck is that about? They're out here talking about bugs and boogers nonstop and then turn around and have an existential crisis.

I've never heard the theory about the game representing the afterlife, but I kinda like it! I don't think its true, but I could see that turned into some super cool island lore.

When the Lazy villagers talk about the night clowns scaring people off the island lol. In fact, a lot of the Lazy villager dialogue is a little unsettling.

When the Lazy villagers talk about the night clowns scaring people off the island lol. In fact, a lot of the Lazy villager dialogue is a little unsettling.
Oh definitely! Like the “birthday clown that lives in their walls?” Terrifying!
Post automatically merged:

Kapp’n is a kappa, which is a creature in Japanese folklore that drowns and eats children. According to Wikipedia, they also:
“are known to favor cucumbers and love to engage in sumo wrestling. They are often accused of assaulting humans in water and removing a mythical organ called the shirikodama from their victim's anus.”

Oh definitely! Like the “birthday clown that lives in their walls?” Terrifying!
Post automatically merged:

Kapp’n is a kappa, which is a creature in Japanese folklore that drowns and eats children. According to Wikipedia, they also:
“are known to favor cucumbers and love to engage in sumo wrestling. They are often accused of assaulting humans in water and removing a mythical organ called the shirikodama from their victim's anus.”

this is terrifying knowledge thank you fjfbfjng

also i know its so #typical, but i really do find the knowledge of tarantulas roaming the island waiting to jump me, very creepy. same vibes as doing some terraforming at 3 am and a villager appearing out of the dark - not asleep for some reason - and now determined to follow you around in a heavily shadowed fashion.

foggy weather will also get me sometimes. but that's a good atmosphere 😌

Also, interesting that Kapp’n mentions cucumbers…since kappas love them (in Japanese folklore) and apparently leaving cucumbers in the water prevented kappas from attacking. Maybe that’s why he hasn’t eaten any villagers….
And THIS was another, erm, method of repelling kappas….

Attachments

• 733F4AB1-68BC-4225-AC1E-9CDAFDDA40C5.jpeg
    733F4AB1-68BC-4225-AC1E-9CDAFDDA40C5.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
Back