• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Count Inside the Bottle

I must actually not have that part of the brain that understands 3D and volume because for all of these, I was like 200 or 300 or 400 off. Even after I bought a bag of goldfish and almonds and counted them all out 😥

oblivia, how do you do it? how do you make it so the jars seem much smaller/bigger in our head rather than in the picture? its sorcery, i swear. nonetheless, thank you for always hosting this fun little game! it gets me to do math, the subject i almost fail every year, so you're actually helping me just a little bit with my calculating skills. 😆
Okay, I agree with all of you re: the almonds. I count out the items 3x for every jar I post - I may or may not be a masochist/perfectionist when it comes to these things - to ensure I have an accurate number. For bigger things like the goldfish or almonds, I count them out in groups of 20 since I'm less likely to make a numerical error if I can easily eyeball 5x clusters of 20 and add up each group of 100, then tack on the stragglers at the end. The almonds absolutely threw me because I figured there'd be something like ~300 in the smaller of my magic voodoo jars, but I mean it when I say the almonds were deceptively packable because there were definitely 567 even after triple checking for accuracy. They're a lot heavier and kinda Tetris themselves together once in the jar, so while the goldfish (OG magic voodoo jar) was larger, there was a lot more air and free space between the individual pieces. The ants were super pliable and squishy so I just packed in as many as would fit, which was a lot! I was originally going to use only one jar but had enough for two, and who am I to deny you all?

I'm so glad everyone had fun with this. It was my pleasure hosting and I'm sure I'll be back next year - or possibly before - with more jars. Feel free to throw ideas my way if there's something you'd like to count and I may just make it a reality. ;)

Okay, I agree with all of you re: the almonds. I count out the items 3x for every jar I post - I may or may not be a masochist/perfectionist when it comes to these things - to ensure I have an accurate number. For bigger things like the goldfish or almonds, I count them out in groups of 20 since I'm less likely to make a numerical error if I can easily eyeball 5x clusters of 20 and add up each group of 100, then tack on the stragglers at the end. The almonds absolutely threw me because I figured there'd be something like ~300 in the smaller of my magic voodoo jars, but I mean it when I say the almonds were deceptively packable because there were definitely 567 even after triple checking for accuracy. They're a lot heavier and kinda Tetris themselves together once in the jar, so while the goldfish (OG magic voodoo jar) was larger, there was a lot more air and free space between the individual pieces. The ants were super pliable and squishy so I just packed in as many as would fit, which was a lot! I was originally going to use only one jar but had enough for two, and who am I to deny you all?

I'm so glad everyone had fun with this. It was my pleasure hosting and I'm sure I'll be back next year - or possibly before - with more jars. Feel free to throw ideas my way if there's something you'd like to count and I may just make it a reality. ;)
I'm comforted that at least you were shocked at the amount of almonds too. I started to question whether or not you had discovered a "micro almond" lol 😆. As always, it was really fun, even though my guesses were terrible. At least I never got a 0 for the amount of tokens for my guesses!

Back