Color or Colour?

Color or Colour?

• Color

Votes: 54 57.4%
  • Colour

Votes: 40 42.6%

• Total voters
Are you guys seriously having an argument about spelling? This is quality posting right here! Look, people in the UK spell it as colour, and people in the US spell it as color. It's just the way things are. It's a different kind of English. It's just like how you wouldn't sell a French book to an American book shop, even if the original book is French. You'd change it to go in English, and words like colour/color would be changed to match whatever country you're distributing your book to.

This is the defining issue of the 21st century, so hell yeah it's worth having an argument over it. I believe that there is a right way to spell it and a wrong way to spell it since that makes more sense than having two spellings which are both correct. That's like saying 2+2=4 and 2+2=5 are both correct. It just doesn't make sense. If anyone has a logical argument as to why both should be accepted, then I'll listen, but until then color is both the easiest way to spell it and the correct way to spell it and the Brits should just admit they are wrong and don't know their own language.

We spell it realize here.
It seems we have a common enemy.

That's a relief. Words that end in -ize clearly have the "zzz" sound, so I don't know what the people who spell those words with -ise are on.

This is the defining issue of the 21st century, so hell yeah it's worth having an argument over it. I believe that there is a right way to spell it and a wrong way to spell it since that makes more sense than having two spellings which are both correct. That's like saying 2+2=4 and 2+2=5 are both correct. It just doesn't make sense. If anyone has a logical argument as to why both should be accepted, then I'll listen, but until then color is both the easiest way to spell it and the correct way to spell it and the Brits should just admit they are wrong and don't know their own language.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this forum. I'm sorry, but that's just silly.

There are two spellings, and they are both correct, because they're territorial. They depend on where you are in the world. Don't you own a dictionary? There are alternative spellings and punctuations for loads of different words! Colour isn't the only one. There is more than one variation of English. You must be trying to be funny.

Last edited:
That's a relief. Words that end in -ize clearly have the "zzz" sound, so I don't know what the people who spell those words with -ise are on.

I wanna make a joke but I don't know any drugs that end in ise or ize :(

I'm always dead serious, and apparently you are anti-democracy and do not respect that the majority of people on this thread here have voted color as the superior way to spell the word. Just think of how much writer's cramp you could prevent by not writing out those u's all of the time.

How am I anti-democracy? I just said that my people were colonized by Americans before (it's common knowledge for Filipinos since it's in every history book of ours!), so we spell it the way Americans spell it: color.

And where specifically did I say I didn't respect the majority of the votes? From the title and your first post, you were just asking what people used, and I gave an answer, and some more shallow insights on "flavour" and "armoury". I did no such thing as insult majority of the votes. o:

Why are you comparing Math with Language? Math was made to be logical, and basic counting and adding has universal rules. Language, on the other hand, is so, so, so diverse.

There are loads of ways to spell things in different languages. For example, the word "restaurant" doesn't have any direct translation to Filipino, so what we do is play around with the pronunciation and say "restawran" instead. It's not wrong spelling; heck, if we use the word "restaurant" in a Filipino paper, the teacher would mark us wrong because that word is a different language. Same goes for British vs. English spellings-- both are correct, because they come from separate languages. It would be reasonable for the Brits to use "colour" because it's what's ingrained in their system.

dikshunarys r 4 colej profesors. teh rest of us amarikens hav spel chek. lern 2 spel color rite.

Watch the quality of your post, please.

Last edited:
America is the greatest country in the world.

All other countries are trash.

Sorry, it's just the truth.

I just spell it the way they taught us in school so colour. I also spell favourite with a u and honour with a u.

The only thing I don't follow that Canadians do is how they say zed when saying the letter z

How am I anti-democracy? I just said that my people were colonized by Americans before (it's common knowledge for Filipinos since it's in every history book of ours!), so we spell it the way Americans spell it: color.

And where specifically did I say I didn't respect the majority of the votes? From the title and your first post, you were just asking what people used, and I gave an answer, and some more shallow insights on "flavour" and "armoury". I did no such thing as insult majority of the votes. o:

Why are you comparing Math with Language? Math was made to be logical, and basic counting and adding has universal rules. Language, on the other hand, is so, so, so diverse.

There are loads of ways to spell things in different languages. For example, the word "restaurant" doesn't have any direct translation to Filipino, so what we do is play around with the pronunciation and say "restawran" instead. It's not wrong spelling; heck, if we use the word "restaurant" in a Filipino paper, the teacher would mark us wrong because that word is a different language. Same goes for British vs. English spellings-- both are correct, because they come from separate languages. It would be reasonable for the Brits to use "colour" because it's what's ingrained in their system.

This isn't a super serious thread. Of course I know that the spelling is different in different countries. I just like to have some fun out of it and satirize the subject.

Holy **** lmao

This isn't a super serious thread. Of course I know that the spelling is different in different countries. I just like to have some fun out of it and satirize the subject.

Oh, okay then. You could've said so earlier; now I feel bad.

Well, I'm out.

I'm Canadian so I spell it like "colour." It looks weird without the "u." I hate it when I'm coding css and I have to purposely go out of my way to "misspell" it so my coding works.

I live in the US, but I spell it 'colour'.
Spellcheck says I'm wrong, but...color feels like it's missing something, like an 'u'.

Since I live in the US I have to go with color. It's how I've always spelled it.

Last edited:
Back